All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Fraser Jarvis

Hi folks,

I'm a new member based in quorn in Leicestershire.

I'm in my mid forties and have been playing tenor sax for about three years now, i've only ever played at home and haven't done any gigs as of yet, but my musical goal would be to get involved with some local bands, that kind of thing.

Ability wise, you could class me somewere in between an advanced beginner and a poor intermediate i guess!

I have a good ear and find i am able to pick new stuff up very quickly, i can improvise, although not as well as i would like.
I can sight read ok as well.

At the moment i am practicing using Pete's book Taming the Saxophone, and trying to improve and quicken up everything else!

Cheers,
Fraser.

dave 645

Welcome Fraser,
I too am new, but far newer than you, describing myself as a beginner beginner. I am learning to play alto, and have found this forum to be a friendly place, full of useful insights.
Once again, welcome.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff,twice.

ENJOY!

As I do as a vegetarian, eating your home town.

Andante cantabile

Welcome Fraser

Welcome to the cafe. A realistic assessment of one's progress is the key to making progress. You will find a group to paly with.

Young Col

Welcome Fraser. Taming the Saxophone should keep you busy for a few years! I'm always dipping into my copy.
YC

Sunray

Welcome to the Cafe ...

Hey Hey Fraser ...

Sunray waves from *Norfolk*

I am a beginner [learner] or n00b ... :shocked:

Just about a month or so now ... But I am in it for the long haul ... :w00t:

Cheers mate ...

TomMapfumo

Hi Fraser!

Welcome to the cafe from the Skabertawe 3 Button Soprano Sax Collective. I've been at it for about 4 years (Alto Sax mainly) but have recently been learning/playing Trombone and Trumpet as well. Have you tried any of the Music Grade material? It would give you a clear idea of what level you are, and maybe help with confidence for playing in a live situation.

I hope that you have a great time in the Cafe and feel part of i very soon. What sort of music do you particularly like playing....?

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Hey frazer, im a newbie both to the forum and the sax. I am learning alto and have been for just over 3 months now. Im loving it and hope to join up with some other players too. This forum is very welcoming and friendly, everyone happy to give advice.

Rikki

Hi Fraser,

Welcome to the cafe.You sound like you are at a similar stage to me, not a beginner, not advanced, like to noodle but not playing in a band (although have done briefly in the past). I am currently using the Jimmy Dorsey "Saxophone Method" book, but how do you find Pete's book is it a bit more contemporary?

Any how! All the best on your journey and look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards Rikki

Taz

Busking Oracle
Crikey, loads of new players and less experienced player getting into the cafe. That my friends, can only be a good thing!
Welcome to you Fraser, glad you joined!

Fraser Jarvis

Hi Fraser,

how do you find Pete's book is it a bit more contemporary?
Regards Rikki
I couldent comment on the Jimmy Dorsey book as i've never used it, but when i started i used to get bogged down with the many Aebersold books that are available, for me they were a complete waste of time and money, as i could never fully understand the reasoning behind much of his stuff.
Now in contrast the Taming the Saxophone book is much more usefull, loads of exercises, everything is well covered and explained well also, real practical stuff that you can make good use of.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Fraser

Welcome to the cafe from another 3 yr old going on 62 if you get my drift...john

Roy Gussman

welcome fraser.
As I said in my welcome to rory if you learn as much as I have with this lot you should be ok

Gusev.

Justin Chune

Hello Fraser , and a warm welcome to the cafe. You sound as if you are more than ready to join a community concert band.

Jim.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom