support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Rich

Hi Folks.

I'm a new member living in Bognor Regis, West Sussex.

I'm in my late 50's and have been learning the Tenor Saxophone for 6 months. I have a one on one tuition every fortnight which always gives me plenty of things to practise. I'm currently working from a Boosey & Hawks book.

I'm just hoping that I haven't left it too late in live to learn this, although my tuitor always says that it is never too late to learn.

Are any other members know of the Memphis Horns, they used to play with Booker T. and the MG's as the backing band for artist such as Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett.

I have a couple of Albums by the Memphis Horns and one track in particular I would to get the sheet music for and that is 'Share your love with me'.

Regards Rich.

Welcome to the cafe Rich. As your tutor says, and he ain't wrong, it's never too late to learn this lovely family of instruments!

Welcome from me as well.

Booker T/Memphis horns.... Good stuff. You're obviously a man of taste and discernment, but you may need to change down a gear with the mob here. There are even Coltrane fans here :)))

Hi and welcome from the other side of Sussex. There's some great jazz courses at Chichester College, only just down the road from you. Hare and Hounds in Worthing is a good place to go for live jazz too.

regards, Phil

Hi Rich, I'm also in the over 50 league and only recently taken up the sax for the first time, and only joined this site yesterday. It's not another mid-life crisis thing, (had loads of them), No, the sax is here to stay. Hope you enjoy it on here, as I'm hoping to, everyone seems friendly enough and obviously all into the same thing. Welcome, from one newbie to another

Welcome Rich

It is never too late to learn a new instrument. You just have to realise that you will be unlikely to be mistaken for Charlie Parker or Stan Getz, but once you have got the hang of it, you will produce lots of beautiful music.

Memphis Horns - good taste! Still going strong too; have you heard Cat Powers "The Greatest" album, recorded with them just a few years ago? You could try sites like www.musicnotes.com for their sheet music but even if it does exist, I wouldn't hold out too many hopes that it accurately reflects the recorded arrangements. At the time they were providing the backing to Pickett, Redding etc. I don't think a lot of it got written down.

Hi Rich

Welcome from up north in Manchester, don't worry about the age thing ,your actually joining a consortium of old newbies,and I believe forum stands for Fairly Old Rejuvenated Unstoppable Musicians.Either that or Madmen, both fit quite well...enjoy ...john:w00t:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all those good wishes. I haven't heard Cat Powers "The Greatest" album, I will have to look it up.

I took my CD of the Memphis Horns to one of my lessons and told my tuitor this what I would love to be able to play like this. She said that it wasn't that difficult but only time will tell.

I'm finding playing the 'C' to the 'D with the octave key' very difficult at the moment, my tuitor has got me to practise this either tongued or slurred. Slurred is much harder than tongued.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all those good wishes. I haven't heard Cat Powers "The Greatest" album, I will have to look it up.

I took my CD of the Memphis Horns to one of my lessons and told my tuitor this what I would love to be able to play like this. She said that it wasn't that difficult but only time will tell.

I'm finding playing the 'C' to the 'D with the octave key' very difficult at the moment, my tuitor has got me to practise this either tongued or slurred. Slurred is much harder than tongued.

Hi Rich

c to d2 can be very problematic when your just starting, it was for me anyway but it will come...john

It's no co-incidence that the sax tutorials place a lot of emphasis on this at the beginning. It'll become instinctive after a while, but in the beginning it's tricky. And by the time you get tired of the exercises that keep including this change you'll be really comfortable with it.... Trick (as with most things sax) is to start slowly, get it right in slow time, then increase the speed gradually.

Hi thehunt,

Last night's lesson went a lot better. My tuitor looked at my reed and felt it needed changing, and what a difference that made. I've changed my reeds before but never noticed such a change as last night. the excercise from 'C' to 'D with octave key' went so much better.

I'm using a Roy Benson Tenor sax which I got secon hand from the lady who does sax repairs and servicing and she said it was one of the better engineered 'learner' saxophones. I'm not sure where these saxophones are made.

Hi Rich, sorry i have never heard of that make of sax before, but main thing is it is getting you on the road to playing. If you delve into other posts here the reed debacle is a hotly debated one. What reeds are you using? We all have our preferences and can go through various brand and strengths and then back using the one we first started with!!
As you progress you will find there are things that you need to work on, embouchure, breath control, fingering etc but to name a few. I can only tell you what i was told, don't get too uptight about playing as it is a long road but a very enjoyable one. ( well that was my problem, i put myself under so much pressure at the beginning to improve ) Please keep us posted and let us know how you get on
Rgds Phil:welldone

Back
Top Bottom