support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New member from Lancashire, England

siggsy

Locality
Preston, England
Thought i might as well ;post my first thread on the 'Doorbell' as requested by unknown...
I picked up the sax when i was 16 in Preston, Lancashire. My tutor was a great man, sadly passed away a few years ago, called Sid Munson. Sid taught Sid taught Ian Kirkham who played Sax with Simply Red. I used to hear them jamming downstairs in the basement circa 1990 and was my inspiration to master the Sax. Sid also got me into Big band, Jazz and Blues.
My favourite musicians are probably Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Stan Getz

I have a varied music taste, starting with Motown and Northern Soul (check wikipedia for all you stateside), Ska, reggae, Bluebeat, Rocksteady.

i havent played the sax for the last 15 years now and i am about to purchase a new one. I am keen on either the Yamaha 62, or the Bauhaus Walstein earth series tenor, or the Trevor James signature custom rax tenor.

I like the old, unlaquered finish at the moment. So will choose wisely....

Big welcome from me. Have fun here. Must have been great having a tutor like that!

Hi siggsy

Welcome to the cafe from another lancashire lad,Blackpool born actually, my mother spent most of her youth in Kirkham a place called Medler I think and then went on to marry a bloke called Kirkham,and I have a brother called Ian but unfortunately he's not the one you've mentioned,if he was I would have probably started playing a lot sooner than I have.Which basement did you hear simply red jamming in.I would be inclined to go for the 62,I know the other 2 have good reviews but the 62 has reputation...All the best....john

Cheers John. Whats your favourite local music shop down there in Manchester. Alan Gregory? Or Forsyth? Or there is Curly Woodwind in Liverpool that looks quite good...
I see Alan Gregory have a Yamaha YTS 62 there for about £2,217, with Curly Woodwind for £2209 in Liverpool. Im sure they are both reputable dealers.
Simply Red used to jam in the basement of where Sid lived when i went round for my lessons. He lived in a pretty big house in Preston. Sid's son was mates with Ian Kirkham etc

Welcome to the cafe siggsy :thumb: can't wait to be in a posistion to buy a new sax but sadly times are hard at the mo :( but that said i'm not at a level to justify a new sax yet !!

Enjoy

Hi,
Ian Kirkham is one of my favourite players...

Regarding a 62 or custom Raw...
I have an older (purple logo) 62 and have tried a few of the custom raws. If you like the feel of the Raw equally or better than a modern 62, its the one I'd choose.
Enjoy your stay!

Hiya Siggsy
Another Lanky, doh!!
Welcome from civilisation.>:)
Andy

Hi Siggsy, welcome to the Cafe, you won't find a better bunch of people anywhere in the world in my opinion! There are a few Ska Motown and Northern Soul lovers on here so your in good company.

Welcome to the caff©, Siggsy.

Change the "i" to a "u" and we will know who you are. Still a further increase in the number of Midlands members.>:)

ENJOY!​™

He's a cross between Ryan Giggs and a Fag!

Welcome to Cafe Sax from the Skabertawe Lites, the Snake Davis tribute band! The saxes you mention would all be good choices. The reality is that the world moved on, as I discovered when I part exchanged my Yani T901 for a System 54 Powerbell. Taiwan is the new Black IMHO.

Kind regards
Tom

Welcome Siggsy, If the TJ CS Raw tenor is as good as the alto which I have recently purchased go for that. My teacher has a fairly close relationship with the designers down at TJs and has tested the tenor, he thinks it`s great. I think it is also a pat on the back for UK makers showing we can produce great instruments. (Okay the brass used on the raw is from Thailand.) but everything else is UK. Incidently the case supplied with the alto is a high quality Protec. I don`t know if this applies to the tenor though. Regds N.

Hello from the Border Marches in Shropshire.... I grew up in south Lancashire, until it was re-named Merseyside....;}

Hi Siggsy

Welcome to the Cafe, pull up a chair and play a while. Difficult decision with the horn, just go and try a load and let us know the outcome.

Dave

Cheers John. Whats your favourite local music shop down there in Manchester. Alan Gregory? Or Forsyth? Or there is Curly Woodwind in Liverpool that looks quite good...
I see Alan Gregory have a Yamaha YTS 62 there for about £2,217, with Curly Woodwind for £2209 in Liverpool. Im sure they are both reputable dealers.
Simply Red used to jam in the basement of where Sid lived when i went round for my lessons. He lived in a pretty big house in Preston. Sid's son was mates with Ian Kirkham etc

Hi siggsy

To be completely honest I haven't been in any music shops in quite some time, I'm kind of well sorted for sax stuff at the moment and well stocked up with reeds and I'm trying very hard to avoid getting into the try a new mpc syndrome otherwise referred to as GAS although I have to admit that I have reached a point where I am sorely tempted to go down this road DOH !!!!

I did all my early spending at Johnny Roadhouse on Oxford Rd mainly probably because of ease of parking and I thought it was more my kind of place as opposed to Dawsons a bit flash and lousy parking and Johnny himself was a well respected saxophonist in his day now playing in the great sax band above.Unfortunately it doesn't seem to get very good reviews these days but I have to say that I got good treatment and good advice and never felt anyone was trying to rip me of,I suppose one problem might be variety of stock they might carry if you wanted to try a good few different saxes but never having been in the other local shops I don't know how they would compare in this.

I don't know if you've read any of Stephen Howards reviews but it's probably well worth doing I've just been reading his review of the BW M2 tenor and it really got me fancying one but it might be a bit gaudy for me and I'm not a tenor man either but what I'm saying they do give good idea of the strengths of these instruments that are less well known but well regarded I tend to think this is fine but will they look as good as my 62 in 8 or 10 yrs time

This may be all academic now as you could have got yourself sorted if so let us know how you went......John

you could always take a trip to Bradford - Woodwind Exchange.

Back
Top Bottom