All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

New member checking in

justin

Hi, I'm Justin. I was bought an alto sax by some friends when I left my last job. I work in a school, and decided that I'd learn to play sax very publicly at school so that I can talk to the children about learning and to demonstrate the pretty amazing idea (if you're a kid) that adults are still learning stuff too.

I've played piano and guitar for years, but never before thought that I could play a wind instrument. I like jazz and blues, so I bought John O'Neill's book on learning by the jazz method. I'm really enjoying my first efforts, even if my family aren't because it's so LOUD. Have been thinking about good places and times to practice that don't annoy neighbours and family. Not easy.

Anyway, that's me and why and I'm here.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi justin

welcome to the cafe the teaching the children thing seems a great idea to me,almost as good as the actual learning the sax yourself idea,enjoy the cafe and your new sax journey...john

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Welcome. Have fun. I'm really impressed by you dedication to your job. Remembering back to my schooldays, there were a couple of teachers/mastes that made lasting, positive impressions on me - and they were both very positive can do people.... So take a bow!

You'll find there are quite a few people here (like me) who've come to the sax later in life, so you're in good company. My kids are having to put up with me learning, so adult leaning is not such a stange concept to them... But I can understand where you're coming from. In my case, the motivation was to be part of the family music - my wife's a good musician, the kids are really talented (what parent doesn't think that...) and then there's the odd/old man out..... Putting that right, last week my youngest asked me to play 'Rock Around the Clock' with him again - even though he knows I'm nowhere near as good as he is. So something's working.

TomMapfumo

Hi Justin!

Welcome to Cafe Saxophone. Excellent start with O'Neill's tome - so good for adult beginners. The key skill with playing quieter is breath control (take air in, hold it, then release it slowly when you play) and a good embouchure, both of which take a while, and soft enough reeds so that you do not have to blast any sound out to make a noise. You should hear how much louder my 9 yo daughter is on trumpet than myself, when practicing at least. Sax mutes do seem mainly cumbersome and rather expensive - trumpet practice mutes are so effective and only cost £20 or so - saxes just have too many holes to plug.

Any particular Jazz and Blues music that you like - are you a traditional man or do you like more recent stuff? I hope that you really enjoy your time learning sax and we'll be happy to help with any issues that emerge with time.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Justin Chune

Good morning Justin, and a very warm welcome. The saxophone is a very expressive instrument that can be played quietly, it's just that you wont be doing that anytime soon. Soft reeds and no hard blowing is the way to go. Have fun.

Jim.

johnboy

Hi Justin and welcome,
The guys here are nearly always helpful & friendly. So enjoy the banter.

John.

1954pip

hi justin and welcome i to am learning sax and it's great fun and frustrating at the same time good luck
pip

Young Col

Welcome Justin from another of those who came seriously at the sax later in life. You'll soon find that air support from the diaphragm is the key to playing softly or loudly, rather than as many beginners do, blowing from the throat or mouth. It doesn't always come naturally, but a good tutor will get you straight on this.
Good luck!
YC

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff, Justin.

The first tune you should learn is Pete Townshend's 'The Kids are alright'.

ENJOY!

dave 645

Hi Justin and welcome.
I too am relatively new to sax, and also a teacher. I am a Head of Year, and my Year group are studying the Beatles in music this year. So I have planned to perform a Beatles song, with some accompaniment from some students, at the last assembly of this year. The students are loving the fact that as an adult I too am still learning!
As for being loud, well I played without a lesson for 30-40 hours, and the first words my teacher told me when I finally had a lesson, "You're loud". He advised me to play long notes, and work on decreasing the volume as I was playing/sustaining the note.
Enjoy the learning.

Taz

Busking Oracle
WELCOME TO THE CAFE sorry, I thought I'd better shout to get over the bloody racket your making!!!
Don't worry, it doesn't last for long and you'll soon be playing whisper soft melodies I SAID....oh forget it! :)))

Sunray

A big Hello from Norfolk UK ...

Hey Justin ...

Good to meet you mate ...

I have great big L Plates front and back ...

I got my first Sax [Alto] in June [approx] this year ...

Great Instruments ain't they ...

I have learned loads in such a short time ... Much of it stems from reading these forums and listening to the hints and tips from these guys here ...

But all the knowledge shared here hasn't stopped me from driving the neighbours Craazzzy ... I learned to do that all on my own ... :w00t:

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom