support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New Improv

Wade Cornell

Locality
New Zealand and Australia
Recorded this strange strange mode today and did what I could with it watching the guitarist's hands very closely. Often sounds like tuning issues which may have something to do with some issues he has with the guitar, but also my palm keys.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12423078

Comments welcome.

Recorded this strange strange mode today and did what I could with it watching the guitarist's hands very closely. Often sounds like tuning issues which may have something to do with some issues he has with the guitar, but also my palm keys.

Comments welcome.

Hi Wade, well that was different. Ok, my reaction/thoughts feelings, bear in mind they are coming from a real newbie though... Sort of invoked thoughts of a soundtrack to a scene where the detective is realising he's been drugged. This is going to sound weird and isn't meant as a knock, but I actually felt physically uncomfortable listening to it, turned the sound down but still felt uncomfortable and didn't make it to the end. But maybe that just means its a powerful piece. Or perhaps just too progressive for my inexperienced ears. Hats off for making it fit though - no way I'd be able to do that. I should also point out that I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable anyway at the moment with blocked ears causing some slight nausea and a bit of general anxiety about life the universe and everything - so its probably just me!

PS I only say the above respectfully and because I know you appreciate, and more importantly can handle, the honesty.

Oh dear I'm feeling guilty now as people aren't commenting on this, perhaps for fear after reading my comments that their heads might explode if they do. Hmmm you really should have a listen people, what Wade has done is really interesting, and clearly well thought out. Just a little disconcerting to listen to from my very personal point of view, but I expect other people to have a spectrum of viewpoints. So now I can add guilt to my list of anxieties - great! lol

Absolutely no problem! This mode, and the way this guitarist (Chris Fenton) plays, can be very hard/disturbing. He's into strange and abstract modes and bizarre shifts. I'm into trying to put a melodic line on top of whatever he throws at me and make it fit. It's spontaneous composition and a challenge that I really enjoy. Too bad it doesn't always come out as being enjoyable for others. Ha! Also too bad you didn't listen through to the end as it changes somewhat and kind of resolves peacefully. The continuous builds earlier on are disturbing alright. I called it Mode of Kali as Kali is the Hindu god of destruction.

You've given me a high compliment, but probably without knowing it. I often get comments that the stuff I play sounds like a soundtrack and gives listeners visual/story references. For me playing a sax is about communicating something, not just playing a bunch of notes that fit the structure. I try to mine the undercurrent of what's inherently there and have the sax sing lines that hopefully deliver an emotion that the listener can then interpret with their own imagination. In this case it's pretty raw, but hey, life's not all sweetness and roses.

Cheers Thomas your review is greatly appreciated.

You seemed to play with a fuller sound on this than other tracks ive heard.That guitar player is a bit disturbed, i think. Sounds a bit like a Sitar in places.

Does the guitar player know you record him while he's tuning up?

Just kidding. As usual your recordings bewilder me.

i understand it from a direction sense, and i like that it just seems to drift but i also know it does not need to go anywhere in the regular musical way, after all you have created a 'musical scape' setting an aural scene to take the listener wherever they imagine the music has sent them and i am getting the whole concept, to me it is more of a musical communication.

You seemed to play with a fuller sound on this than other tracks ive heard.That guitar player is a bit disturbed, i think. Sounds a bit like a Sitar in places.

Thanks (I think?). The guitarist is a former professional player from Melbourne. He lives alone in a remote (but beautiful area) here in Tropical North Queensland. It's accessible only by four wheel drive, and when it rains inaccessible. He lives fairly rough with the chickens turkeys, opossums, snakes, etc. wandering through his shack at will. No utilities and solar + generator for power. He has few people to play with (for obvious reasons) and seldom ventures out. He is often "herbally enhanced" rather than disturbed. He's a musical hermit with his heroes being Frank Zappa, Steve Vai and such. Probably has an IQ of 140 (even after herbal enhancement). He's one of the guitarist I enjoy playing with, but, as with the others, not someone I would want to live with or play with exclusively. Playing with radically different players keeps me stretched and brings out different feeling, and aspects of playing (a fuller sound perhaps?). His modes and concepts are complex and angular while his timing is often unfocused or "free". I'll post some other jams with him soon. He is an acquired taste, but for me worthwhile.

i understand it from a direction sense, and i like that it just seems to drift but i also know it does not need to go anywhere in the regular musical way, after all you have created a 'musical scape' setting an aural scene to take the listener wherever they imagine the music has sent them and i am getting the whole concept, to me it is more of a musical communication.

Thanks for that. Just hope the music hasn't sent some screaming. Glad you got it. Cheers!

Does the guitar player know you record him while he's tuning up?

Just kidding. As usual your recordings bewilder me.

That accounts for the three of us: the guitarist is bewitched, I'm bothered, and you've already spoken for yourself.

Cheers.

Thanks (I think?). The guitarist is a former professional player from Melbourne. He lives alone in a remote (but beautiful area) here in Tropical North Queensland. It's accessible only by four wheel drive, and when it rains inaccessible. He lives fairly rough with the chickens turkeys, opossums, snakes, etc. wandering through his shack at will. No utilities and solar + generator for power. He has few people to play with (for obvious reasons) and seldom ventures out. He is often "herbally enhanced" rather than disturbed. He's a musical hermit with his heroes being Frank Zappa, Steve Vai and such. Probably has an IQ of 140 (even after herbal enhancement). He's one of the guitarist I enjoy playing with, but, as with the others, not someone I would want to live with or play with exclusively. Playing with radically different players keeps me stretched and brings out different feeling, and aspects of playing (a fuller sound perhaps?). His modes and concepts are complex and angular while his timing is often unfocused or "free". I'll post some other jams with him soon. He is an acquired taste, but for me worthwhile.

Hes gone Tropo!!!! I used to fly up to Townsville when i was in the RAAF Band, theres a base there, and when somebody was acting a bit strange, that was the usual comment. But seriously i think its great ear training, after playing with this guy you will have no trouble fitting in with anybody or combination. and perhaps there will be some real magic to come with the duo.

Hes gone Tropo!!!! I used to fly up to Townsville when i was in the RAAF Band, theres a base there, and when somebody was acting a bit strange, that was the usual comment. But seriously i think its great ear training, after playing with this guy you will have no trouble fitting in with anybody or combination. and perhaps there will be some real magic to come with the duo.

Very kind of you. Yes he's "tropo" to some and feral to others, cleanliness optional, etc.

As for the "real magic to come" it depends on what substances you are ingesting. After a big meal of beans everything stinks.

This is the sort of thing they play in the spa when I'm having a massage or reflexology. It's very relaxing and sends me off drifting - in a nice way.

This is the sort of thing they play in the spa when I'm having a massage or reflexology. It's very relaxing and sends me off drifting - in a nice way.

Very kind of you, but you sure you've got the right track you're listening to? Not really relaxing go to sleepy land off sort of music. More like music to worry by, and/or slit your wrists. Profusia has it fairly well described in post #2.

Very kind of you, but you sure you've got the right track you're listening to? Not really relaxing go to sleepy land off sort of music. More like music to worry by, and/or slit your wrists. Profusia has it fairly well described in post #2.

Oh I'm so blond - it definitely wan't this I listened to earlier - Dirge is the right title. I've no idea what it was but it was a guitar and sax and quite lyrical and relaxing. If I ever find out I'll let you know - lol

OK - I've been through my history and it was Evening Tui I listened to and it was, again, very relaxing. I really should pay more attention :)

Thanks Sue. Yes, that's one of my favorite spontaneous compositions based on what the guitarist was playing (he made a loop). The inspiration was New Zealand's iconic bird the Tui. I'm playing sopranino and going for the atmospherics. Improvised but not jazz. If anyone else is interested:

Thanks Sue. Yes, that's one of my favorite spontaneous compositions based on what the guitarist was playing (he made a loop). The inspiration was New Zealand's iconic bird the Tui. I'm playing sopranino and going for the atmospherics. Improvised but not jazz. If anyone else is interested:

Wade. Why not a new thread... Expressive playing, i only wish it could have gone on longer.

Wade. Why not a new thread... Expressive playing, i only wish it could have gone on longer.

Thanks Jamesmac. This was already posted a year or more ago. Probably not a good idea for anyone to be posting the same tunes over again on the same site. In this case, since Sue mentioned it, I was just referencing it for anyone who might be new or didn't catch it the first time around. Those of us who use web host sites for our tunes generally leave them there for a while, so anyone interested in our stuff can just click on our name or index and go through them for themselves. I'm guessing that's what Sue may have done (inadvertently).

Back
Top Bottom