PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones New Gear4Music Alto Sax.

Crazeehair87

Locality
Houhton le Spring
Well my new (And 1st) saxophone arrived today :)

After reading the reviews on-line and owing to the fact i didn't have a huge budget i decided on the Gear4music Starter kit with the Vintage finish.

I ordered it yesterday afternoon and chose the standard delivery and was surprised when i got a message to say it was been delivered today by DPD. i spent all morning watching the updates on the DPD website and got very excited when it said mine was the next delivery :) (Yes just like a kid coming downstairs on Christmas morning :happydance:)

when i opened the box i was very impressed. the finish is beautiful and the case is a good hard case which i was also very pleased with. I spent about 20 mins looking the sax over (Mainly cose i was so pleased i had one but also cose the finish was very nice) and couldn't see any areas that wasn't finished the same or damaged so big thumbs up :thumb::thumb:

The sax its self came with every thing you would expect. although i will be changing the strap as the one that comes with it isnt padded and it feels very flimsy also it has a hook rather then a clip. Included in the kit i got it had a good sturdy sax stand and also a box of 10 Rico Reeds. there was also a beginners DVD and a music stand all in all i was very happy with what i had got for my £245 :thumb:

After reading some reviews i made the decision to purchase the Yamaha 4c mouth piece which i promptly Set up and attached.

i put the dvd in and started to watch it (it seamed like a one that had been around a long time but the guy in it made things a lot clearer then any of the videos i had found on-line) got to the part where it said about making a sound and was very impressed to find that i could almost straight away just with a little screech but hey it was the first time i had used a sax.

after about 10 mins or so i was playing mary had a little lamb (because that how rock and roll i am hahaha today mary had a little lamb tomorrow well probably still mary had a little lamb haha)

All in all i have to say i am very impressed with what i have got for my money. i am in the process of arranging lessons with a local teacher but looking forward to playing.

Attachments

• IMAG0307.jpg
    IMAG0307.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 201
  • IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
It is indeed a lovely looking sax, did you soak your reeds before playing? They can screech if too dry :)

Enjoy and thanks for the detailed post

Jx

It is indeed a lovely looking sax, did you soak your reeds before playing? They can screech if too dry :)

Enjoy and thanks for the detailed post

Jx

yeah i did although possibly not enough i will bare that in mind going forward.

I was hoping th post was ok its hard to give any sort of detailed feedback when you dont really know enough :)

I was hoping th post was ok its hard to give any sort of detailed feedback when you dont really know enough :)

It was really useful :)

Jx

Not to my taste (prefer JD) but vodka has been highly recommended to soak your reeds in ;)

Congrats on your sax :thumb:

Enjoy :)

Like the finish!
I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it. :sax::)

As you said, getting another strap is a good idea - The hook can unclip when playing with that type and they`re none to comfortable . I`d suggest a Neotech (even a used one off E-Bay), comfy and the clip is secure on the sax

Your story reminded me of the excitement I had just 12 months ago when I got my first sax.
Mary has had quite a few little lambs here, and the red red robin has bob-bobbed along quite often.

Good luck, it's quite an uplifting journey.

I have a G4M tenor and it blows well and is amazing value.

A G4M alto is on the list for Junior... and a sop for me.... when the moolah arrives...

Bear in mind that even extremely expensive saxes can need tweaks and adjustments ("setting up") when delivered. So if your teacher finds it needs a tweak or two, just bear in mind you could have paid ten times as much and still it would need a tweak... http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/index.htm

I'd advise against getting one of the bouncy Neotech straps (I don't know if all their straps are like that but the strechy ones are awful IMO).. It's really hard to get a consistent and stable position fotr the mouthpiece in your mouth if the strap doesm't have a fixed length.

I don`t find either of mine bouncy , even when I had a MkVII Tenor hanging off it - the 62 tenor is fine too . they are incredibly comfortable though , I`ve been using their camera straps (Optech) for years also

according to their website Neotech do some non stretch straps -
http://neotechstraps.com/pad-it-strap.html
http://neotechstraps.com/wick-it-sax-strap.html

I used to be like Big Martin and didn't like stretchy straps, but I tried a Neotech in a shop a few years ago while testing an instrument and it felt quite comfy. I got one cheap off ebay a bit ago and it's not as stretchy as I thought it'd be, although not quite as definite as my trusty old Klondyke and a bit more of a fiddle to get it to exactly the right height
I'm told the Protec straps are good, but there's a lot of others to choose from

cheers everyone for the responses looks like it willl take me as long to decide on a strap as it did the sax haha:doh:

Then don't ignore the Cebulla, Smooth Moose, Saxholder et al. ;)

Back
Top Bottom