All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones New Conn Transitional Tenor

Punchysax

Punchysax

Locality
Hitchin
Afternoon , just picked up my new tenor sax 1932 Conn Transitional original case nice , original brass end plug , plays like a dream easy blow mellow and beefy all in one. It has the naked lady engraving on it serial number is 253 serial number . When did chu tenors go to transitional and then to 10m ?

Anyone got this year and any comments on them

TheChu

TheChu

Locality
Germany
I'm no expert but I think it was 1931-32

T

turf3

Locality
Earth
Keep in mind that all these designations are made up after the fact by collectors, not by Conn.

First of all the "Chu" tenor is a very late New Wonder or very early Artist - curved high E, but bell keys on opposite sides. That's the horn chu was photographed with in the very famous portrait. I don't think anyone really knows whether that's the horn he really played all the time; it probably is, but he could well have borrowed a better-looking horn from a buddy for the picture, or he might have just bought the new one but all his playing and recording was on an older one; no one knows.

Secondly, collectors, not the Conn company, have decided to call the second series New Wonder the "Chu" because it superficially resembles the horn Chu was holding in his famous portrait.

Thirdly, the introduction of the later features occurred intermittently and it wasn't always a straight progression. I have seen horns with the basic late mechanism (you can tell the stack mechanism especially around the high F and bis key) but with bell keys on opposite sides. I have seen horns with fork Eb long after you'd think it was gone. I've seen horns with all kinds of variants of left hand tables. Engraving isn't a real good guide either.

Unless you measure the tube you can't say whether what you've got is acoustically a New Wonder or a 10M Artist. Since they're darn close anyway and both have that essential Conn character, I'd not worry about what some collectors have decided to call it 90 years after the fact.

PigSquealer

PigSquealer

Connoisseur of applesauce
Café Supporter
Locality
Los Angeles
Afternoon , just picked up my new tenor sax 1932 Conn Transitional original case nice , original brass end plug , plays like a dream easy blow mellow and beefy all in one. It has the naked lady engraving on it serial number is 253 serial number . When did chu tenors go to transitional and then to 10m ?

Anyone got this year and any comments on them
This should confuse you nicely.
Keep in mind this is not an absolute. Think of it more as a guide.
5B92E041 2B2F 4E74 B170 C90F9DFEFBED

T

turf3

Locality
Earth
Something that a lot of people tend to forget is that Conn had a factory to run. They had less than zero concern about keeping everything matching for the benefit of collectors 90 years in the future. If they found a batch of anachronistic parts, they had to choose - throw away (waste $$) or use them on this week's production? Guess which gets chosen most often.

Hankenstine

Hankenstine

Locality
UK
First of all the "Chu" tenor is a very late New Wonder or very early Artist - curved high E, but bell keys on opposite sides. That's the horn chu was photographed with in the very famous portrait. I don't think anyone really knows whether that's the horn he really played all the time; it probably is, but he could well have borrowed a better-looking horn from a buddy for the picture, or he might have just bought the new one but all his playing and recording was on an older one; no one knows.

Secondly, collectors, not the Conn company, have decided to call the second series New Wonder the "Chu" because it superficially resembles the horn Chu was holding in his famous portrait

Dm83VMKU4AErFwV

FB IMG 1616374140800

Last edited:
Hankenstine

Hankenstine

Locality
UK
Congratulations on your new horn!