support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

New! Cafe Saxophone online resources link list.

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Locality
Sunny Southampton
Many years ago we asked for ideas for our resources, and at some stage there was a request from a member (I think it might have been @Sunray ? ) to make a list of useful links to other sites.

At the time we didn't have the tools to actually make that so it didn't hinder SEO.

I think it is now possible, and could be very useful resource so we can use this thread for everyone to recommend sites.

Initially this will be for recommended instruction resources (EDIT: websites only at the moment and stick to FREE not subscriptions.

This way we can possibly gauge them based on other members' reactions.

After a certain time (maybe a couple of weeks or a moth, I will curate them into a list in another separate article thread.

NB: for now please keep it to no more than one link per post not big long lists.
Also (unless it is obviously superfluous) please include short description, one sentence ideally, which I can use when I compile it all if it seems necessary.

Last edited:
Artistworks offer online learning from Eric Marienthal.

The way it works is that the student sends in a video of their playing and Eric posts a video back with comments and suggestions. There is quite a lot of online material too.

ArtistWorks often have very good offers - about half-price if you sign up for a year, which works out at less than £13 a month for instruction from one of the best saxophone players in the world.

Subject: reading music / basic theory

This site has exercises for recognising written music, ear training etc.
Western, ET only

Last edited:
(is the Café an Amazon Affiliate? If we post book links?)

I should have said, a very short description is useful (as done above by nigeld and mizmar

(is the Café an Amazon Affiliate? If we post book links?)
We were but they booted us off because they think being a forum is against their T & C. Which it isn't, but they don't realise that.

However this is not for book links but website resources. We could do a separate for books maybe.

Yes, yet another YouTube teacher...

But this chap has many actual arrangements and how to plays for actual tunes + discussions that dovetail with the usual "how to improvise" fair. Each at beginner, intermediate, advanced. Useful if you are a B/I musician, want to play actual songs that are more interesting than just the head and chorus.

Great initiative, Pete!

Just from the previous responses it seems that you've opened up a 'can of worms' :). I need to sift through my stored 'cafe resources' and YouTube 'follows'' before making any single recommendation.

Before making a recommendation, I suggest you might want to add sub-menus to ''Resources': Free and Paid. Each of these can (if necessary) be further subdivided into headings (or submenus) such as 'music theory', sax playing, etc.
This would allow members who have followed a (paid) on-line course to add their opinions as well as members who have found on-line YouTube channels/videos or downloads useful.

IMHO, I suggest that 1 suggestion per post is pretty limited,. I would probably submit some 5 different different posts. I have no idea how these posts are processed. But IMHO 3-5 suggestions per post might work better.

Many years ago we asked for ideas for our resources, and at some stage there was a request from a member (I think it might have been @Sunray ? ) to make a list of useful links to other sites.

At the time we didn't have the tools to actually make that so it didn't hinder SEO.

I think it is now possible, and could be very useful resource so we can use this thread for everyone to recommend sites.

Initially this will be for recommended instruction resources (EDIT: websites only at the moment)

This way we can possibly gauge them based on other members' reactions.

After a certain time (maybe a couple of weeks or a moth, I will curate them into a list in another separate article thread.

NB: for now please keep it to no more than one link per post not big long lists.
Also (unless it is obviously superfluous) please include short description, one sentence ideally, which I can use when I compile it all if it seems necessary.

I think initially we don’t want to overwhelm so one is enough. And I meant to say free, (have edited initial post) but we could have another one for paid ones

And I meant to say free
Hummm... Most YouTubezines are loss-leadrs. Maybe the likes of BestOnlineSaxTeachingEverEverPromise.com etc. Should be in another thread or their own threads, or - as now - just posted as required to answer specific questions...?

I think initially we don’t want to overwhelm so one is enough. And I meant to say free, (have edited initial post) but we could have another one for paid ones
A lot, maybe most, have both free and paid for. I think it's part of the way the process works, to tempt you in if you like. The best ones, in my experience, give good stuff for free and offer in-depth courses if you want them. Some offer exceptional stuff for nothing but still seem to manage to recruit to the paid courses. The balance varies.

Fantastic Idea....I owe a lot to people on this forum for sharing their knowledge and putting up with my chaos.....LoL (yes there is an agenda and yes its relevant to the topic... ;) ) After 5 years playing I only just feel that I am ready for lessons now and am getting an understanding of what i would want from them....I am not sure if I have missed a lot off resources of @Pete Thomas wonderful site; if I have it's poor navigation by me....In relation to this thread I feel my chaos has been caused by a lack of structure in my learning and a mis match of what I need to know and when..without digressing into various learning methods and without going into the role and benefits of having a teacher could the resources that are listed be listed in a way that would also structure the learning pathway. These could then be linked to the relevant part of the cafe...this could be done as a paid pathway

All the sites that are online teachers should probably go in the Teachers section, I was initially thinking of this purely as websites with useful instructional resources. My fault for being a bit brain fogged.!

Might I suggest moving all the online / YouTubeery to that section and even the asides / discussions to another thread so that the actual resources thread is something a person can quickly and efficiently scan?

All the sites that are online teachers should probably go in the Teachers section, I was initially thinking of this purely as websites with useful instructional resources. My fault for being a bit brain fogged.!
A lot of them do both, they don't separate that easily. The ones I have listed give a lot of very good free resources but also offer paid for courses. The free stuff may be a link or a tease to the paid for structured courses but much of it is good standalone stuff and sometimes offers extremely valuable info and instruction. It often amazes me how much valuable info they give for free in this commercial world in which we live, some give so much. I can't imagine why anybody would pay.

Check them out and you will see. One, Jamie Anderson, gives a free transcription, that you can print out, of the solos on the Eternal Triangle by Sonnys Rollins and Stitt with a 45 minute video walk through of the whole thing, he also offers quite expensive courses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom