All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

New busker

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I was out in the cab last night parked on a rank in town and a sax playing busker pitched up across the road,never seen him before,I thought this would be interesting,I wanted to know what kind of repertoire he had and if it was anything like my own, and compare his playing to what I conceive as my own,he started off with St Thomas a tune I don't play at the moment (sorry Chris) but am remedying, he tended to play most things with a staccato feel and had a very nice tone, the next up was sentimental mood,one I do know and then a couple of pop tunes,I intended to make a list of what he played to have a go at myself but got a job in and had to go,I thought I might have chat with him when I got back but unfortunately he had gone,while he was playing two bobby's walked past without giving him a glance which I was pleased to see,it would have been nice to know if he had got a permit or anything or just pitched up,all in all it was nice to listen to whilst sitting on the rank I hope he returns tonight, he seemed to keep looking at his watch as if he intended to only stay in one spot for so long and then move on,good luck to him.....John

Taz

Busking Oracle
Sounds nice John, was he playing to backing or completely solo?

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Completely solo and at nice sound level that would not upset anyone,shame I never got a chance for a chat might have got a new recruit for the forum as well, truthfully I wasn't sure how he might take someone butting in on him .....john

altissimo

As far as I know there's no permit required to busk in Manchester - I've known a few buskers and they never mentioned it.
There have been several sax players busking on the streets of Manchester - there was a bloke used to play round the back of Marks & Spencers and I saw a guy playing funky alto outside Kendals late one night, but didn't linger since I was with friends intent on getting to the King's Arms in time for last orders.
I heard someone playing on Market Street at 8 o'clock one night, but I didn't investigate since I was on the way to the Band On The Wall and wanted to get a good seat in the balcony (it sounds better upstairs). Not sure why he was busking on a deserted street, I guess he just wanted to practise without disturbing the neighbours, like that taxi driver with the black Selmer tenor who can't play at home because he's had warning letters from the council..
Nice to know the coppers weren't bothered, one of my friends gave up busking on alto in Manchester years ago due to hassle from the constabulary and a nasty altercation with the security guards from Debenhams. Plus the grit and grime wasn't doing the mechanism of his ancient Martin Handcraft any good and the silver plating was going a bit black - lacquered instruments have their advantages..

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
As far as I know there's no permit required to busk in Manchester - I've known a few buskers and they never mentioned it.
There have been several sax players busking on the streets of Manchester - there was a bloke used to play round the back of Marks & Spencers and I saw a guy playing funky alto outside Kendals late one night, but didn't linger since I was with friends intent on getting to the King's Arms in time for last orders.
I heard someone playing on Market Street at 8 o'clock one night, but I didn't investigate since I was on the way to the Band On The Wall and wanted to get a good seat in the balcony (it sounds better upstairs). Not sure why he was busking on a deserted street, I guess he just wanted to practise without disturbing the neighbours, like that taxi driver with the black Selmer tenor who can't play at home because he's had warning letters from the council..
Nice to know the coppers weren't bothered, one of my friends gave up busking on alto in Manchester years ago due to hassle from the constabulary and a nasty altercation with the security guards from Debenhams. Plus the grit and grime wasn't doing the mechanism of his ancient Martin Handcraft any good and the silver plating was going a bit black - lacquered instruments have their advantages..
Eddie the guy that busks outside Kendals used to run the wednesday night jam in the Kings Arms (SALFORD) until they decided they couldn't afford it any more some time ago,now he runs one in Withington on weds the same, at a little dive bar in the middle of the village the name escapes me at the moment,been a few times it get quite busy,generally plenty of jammers present,all seem to know one another and a very relaxed atmosphere,not been for quite a while, must give it a try again...john

altissimo

The guy I saw outside Kendals wasn't Ed Kainyek, it was someone else. I thought he moved the jam session to Indigo in Withington because people were reluctant to head across town to Salford. That was certainly the problem I had when I used to put gigs on there. Pity, it's a really nice pub and the staff are nice people, I've staggered home from there many a time in the wee hours of the morning, or at least I did do until that poor guy got shot last xmas. That was when I decided to get the hell out of Dodge City and live somewhere nice. I'd already been attacked by a mugger and had a few years of abuse from the neighbours from hell, so enjoying the peace and quiet now
Regards to Ed... and Damian at Johnny Roadhouse

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
The guy I saw outside Kendals wasn't Ed Kainyek, it was someone else. I thought he moved the jam session to Indigo in Withington because people were reluctant to head across town to Salford. That was certainly the problem I had when I used to put gigs on there. Pity, it's a really nice pub and the staff are nice people, I've staggered home from there many a time in the wee hours of the morning, or at least I did do until that poor guy got shot last xmas. That was when I decided to get the hell out of Dodge City and live somewhere nice. I'd already been attacked by a mugger and had a few years of abuse from the neighbours from hell, so enjoying the peace and quiet now
Regards to Ed... and Damian at Johnny Roadhouse
Like I said I haven't been to indigo for quite a while but at the time of the move I was a regular at the Kings Arms and Eddie told me at the time it was a financial thing by the owners of the pub that caused the move which was a shame for me because it was really handy to pop down there for an hour or so while working in town, I went up to indigo quite a few times but it was less convenient and I found it a bit cramped and hard to get a seat and there tended to be an element of hard drinkers and strange folk in the audience.

I know nothing about the shooting honestly it wasn't me gov,that's a terrible thing to happen,you obviously did the right thing moving away I take it your in Leicester now as that's on your avatar , did you live near to the pub,probably if you staggered home from it.

Haven't been in Johnny Roadhouse for a while seem to be quite well stocked up on everything you need to keep playing although the RICO jazz selects are getting a bit low so I might be heading round there soon but you've got try to avoid the gas haven't you

It's funny you should say that it wasn't Eddie playing outside Kendals I seem to remember an odd time when an interloper turned up and stole his pitch before he got there that's very much the way of the world these days,I'm frankly amazed Eddie can put up with it like he does for so long he sometimes gets a bit of abuse form the passing drunks as you would expect but he seems to cope with it,I just tend to give him a beep and a wave as I go by in the cab these days ....John

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom