All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones New Bauhaus M2 sneaky peak

Stephen Howard

I had a chance to see the new Bauhaus M2 horns yesterday - unlacquered 'pre-aged' finish.
The horns themselves are exactly the same as the silver/gold models (ie, with the larger bell), the only difference being the finish. This is simply bare brass which has been sprayed with a chemical that quickly tarnishes the brass - leaving an aged look to it.
That's the theory, at least - in practice it tends to leave the horns looking, well, brown really. It's not my favourite finish, but I have to admit it looks quite nice.

I checked the new horns against their silver/gold counterparts. There wasn't much of a difference in tone, but I felt that the unlacquered models sounded just a smidgeon darker.
I noted that on both models the finish goes right the way through the bore - which would mean that the silver plated model will have a very slightly smoother bore (the plating would tend to fill any small pits in the metal). This may account for the very subtle difference...or it might just be that the three samples tended towards a warmer sound anyway.
I noted on the soprano that using the curved crook on the silver model warmed the tone up and brought it into line with that of the unlacquered with the straight crook....so the difference is very slight.

That's the good news - what's not so good is that I'm told there's going to be a price increase across the range as the manufacturing cost has risen.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Two Voices

That's the good news - what's not so good is that I'm told there's going to be a price increase across the range as the manufacturing cost has risen.
I think we will be seeing an increase in price from most makes of horns over the coming months due to various price increases.

I noted on the soprano that using the curved crook on the silver model warmed the tone up and brought it into line with that of the unlacquered with the straight crook....so the difference is very slight.
Interesting as I always preferred the curved crook on my M2Ss but couldn't work out why I prefered it over the straight apart from the ergonomics.

Stephen Howard

I think we will too. Prices for raw materials seem to be on the up again.

It's not uncommon for players of sopranos with two crooks to prefer one over the other - as with any two crooks there will always be subtle differences. With some time, and enough examples, you could probably find a straight and a curved crook that had much the same response.

Regards,

Hamish

For those of us who play guitar you will know you can buy a Fender Stratocaster for £400 or a "Road Worn" version for £1000. It is brand new but they take care to make it look like you are a rock star who has been touring for years. It is what I would call "pretending". For me these antique looking saxes fall into this bracket and some of them look terrible. I also got a sneak preview of Bauhaus M2 and actually it looks quite good - it also plays and sounds great. I am amazed at the price.

Top Bottom