All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs New baritone mouthpiece

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
After playing the same bari mouthpice for over 25 years it's time for a new one. My modified Dukoff D9 sounds great but it's a demanding piece. For a long time I was on Dukoffs on all saxes from soprano-baritone. I had the edgy step baffle taken down on my bari mpc to a more "rollover" type and the tip open up to more than a #10 (0.145). My reeds were plasticover #4 or 5 (I can't get #5 anymore!). It worked for me. I think saxophone playing is more like wrestling. Fight it! A powerful set up and the bari could tear down buildings. Nothing to play pretty on. Nowadays I want a setup tha is easier to blow and to use in a horn section as well

d93_zps48e54654.jpg

I order a Saxgourmet Low Rider bari mpc 0.120. The designer is blowing a "The Martin Baritone" and he told me that it works very well on baris like mine. And I also decided that my bari is going to have the black saxgourmet pads. With or without resonators/reflectors/pad covers!?

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
On my "The Martin" bari I used to use an old Brilhart Level Air mouthpiece. It had a great big sound but was also surprisingly flexible and reasonably in tune (except for the problem E2 and F2 notes). The design of the Level Air looks quite similar to the Dukoff.

Good luck with the Low Rider piece - is that from Steve Goodson ?

Rhys

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
On my "The Martin" bari I used to use an old Brilhart Level Air mouthpiece. It had a great big sound but was also surprisingly flexible and reasonably in tune (except for the problem E2 and F2 notes). The design of the Level Air looks quite similar to the Dukoff.

Good luck with the Low Rider piece - is that from Steve Goodson ?

Rhys

Thank you. Yes, it's from Steve Goodson. When I bought my "The Martin Baritone" there were 2 mouthpieces in the case. The original Martin and one Brilhart Level. The design of tis two were close. I have heard that the mouthpices that came with "The Martin " saxes were made by Brilhart company. Just one * or **. Same chamber. The Low Rider is in the same style as the Dukoff.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom