Tone New article: Tone control exercise

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I have been meaning to do this one for a while, it's a kind of all purpose long note exercise with a few important extra bits which are not only great for developing a controlled sound, but also a more interesting and expressive sound. Also a less tedious way to practice long notes:

Tone control and expression exercise

(Feedback appreciated - e.g. does it make sense? does it work for you?)

half diminished

I have been meaning to do this one for a while, it's a kind of all purpose long note exercise with a few important extra bits which are not only great for developing a controlled sound, but also a more interesting and expressive sound. Also a less tedious way to practice long notes:

Tone control and expression exercise

(Feedback appreciated - e.g. does it make sense? does it work for you?)
Pete

Brilliant. Tried it, its not all that easy. I'm going to use it along with my Top Tones exercises daily.

Linky Lee

I'll give this a bash in the morning.
I like the principal behind the exercise, working on your long tones without making that part stand out as the sole focus. I think it would still be benificial to do standard long tones on their own as well as this if you can get yourself to do them.

Phil Edwards

I'll try it today too.

Couple of typo's on page Pete.

After the first chart it says... " core tone and articulationplus tasteful"
And one heading says... "Too Much in ine Breath?"

regards, Phil

Phil Edwards

That shows how slow the internet connection is in Croydon

Pete, apologies, I'm sure you're loking for more constructive feedback than we're providing.

Had a go, found it quite difficult although I don't play much vibrato so perhaps I should do those exercises first. Having said that I don't get bored with long tones either. Perhaps you should just listen to someone else... I'll be on my way now.

Phil

OP
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Had a go, found it quite difficult although I don't play much vibrato so perhaps I should do those exercises first.
Definitely do the first, perhaps I should mention that in the article. I am still thinking about reworking the page to show the three different parts first before the combined exercise anyway.

visionari1

Great article Pete.

Reads well and thought provoking, it took me to your other links which I also found riveting (Mr Lee and all the other influences.)
Bit snowed under with theory and Vol 24 Demo practise, although I will return to your exercise as I need better tone quality! (who doesn't, except thee)

Typo's....well thank god....your human!
Cheers & Ciao:welldone:mrcool

Linky Lee

It reads better now it's three elements are explained seperately first and then combined.

It's a surprisingly hard exercise, particularily keeping the tone even when jumping the octaves and using vibrato at the same time.

half diminished

It reads better now it's three elements are explained seperately first and then combined.

It's a surprisingly hard exercise, particularily keeping the tone even when jumping the octaves and using vibrato at the same time.
Yep, initially thought 'that's not too bad' but the shift up an octave whilst retaining vibrato is a killer!

Top Bottom