supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

New and need new sax

Bunny

I tried to post 36 hours ago...seems to have gone astray, apologies if two posts appear at once.
I am a very serious older e 54 learner and I want to buy as good an alto as I can,my max is £750...what would you recommend? I had been told a Yamaha 275 was the bets and that is £750 but then something on this site made me look at Bauhaus Wlastein, that are significantly cheaper. I can't afford musically, or financially, to buy rubbish so am looking for ideas.
I live in winchesterand already on a vintage 1924 alto, a Martin stencil, but I havent played for a couple of years though illness and want to be serious at it now, maybe do my grades etc...All advice welcome

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Bunny

Welcome to the cafe,I'm surprised no one has replied yet to your question.there will be plenty of people willing to sing the praises of the BW and I'm sure it's a fine quality sax there's even a thread devoted to BW's for you to look through if you like,but for my twopenneth at £750 your into the realms of a good second hand YAS 62 A real quality pro instrument,it may be worth having a peruse of ebay in search of one before committing to a lesser option.

Good luck... john

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
I tried to post 36 hours ago...seems to have gone astray,
NO, whenever someone joins the post needs to be approved before it appears, (otherwise we get spammers and other undesirables) supposedly you should get a screen telling you this so you don't keep trying, maybe it's not working.

Welcome to the forum!

Little My

Practice makes better.
Hello and welcome!

I think you should be able to find something lovely for £750 too, I bought a very bargainous Yamaha 62 for about £250 a few years back and adore it, so would definitely recommend looking at any Yamaha alto - though I do think I was stupidly lucky on price. Do you have a teacher? They might be able to help you find something suitable.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hello and welcome!

I think you should be able to find something lovely for £750 too, I bought a very bargainous Yamaha 62 for about £250 a few years back and adore it, so would definitely recommend looking at any Yamaha alto - though I do think I was stupidly lucky on price. Do you have a teacher? They might be able to help you find something suitable.
There's nothing stupid about being that lucky

Saxlicker

Hi Bunny,
If you are prepared to buy 2nd hand then your budget will certainly stretch further than a yam 275.
I live fairly local to you and if mutually convenient time wise, I would be happy to help you appraise a sax in the area.

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

Hi Bunny!

Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe 3 Button Soprano Sax Crew. Advice so far is spot on - BW Alto best at below £750 new, and allows money over for a decent mouthpiece etc. Used YAS62 and Yani A901 are about -some of the best in your price range.

Have you looked at Grades yet? Basically there are both Classical and Jazz Grades, offered by three boards - ABRSM, Trinity/Guildhall, and London College of Music. My choice when I did Grades was ABRSM Jazz which was a good experience. I've not done the others.

Lots of people recommend Yamaha student instruments for both woodwind and brass, but not everyone is up to date with the market where there are instruments that challenge the status quo, and often at better prices. John Packer also produce good instruments at reasonable prices - you won't go wrong with JP or BW, but there are often used bargains to be had.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

51 yo sax, trumpet and trombone player!

OP
B

Bunny

Aha ...du!! You meant your offer on pt 1 of my message!! Did you read what I said though about having a wonderful but determined hubbie who says you can't buy and instrument you haven't played? where i hells nameliving in winchester can I try some saxes other than my local overpriced stores? Does anywhere locally stock BWs? And they are a lot cheaper than my £750 limit...which was for the YAMAHA 725. Oh this is so bothersome!! Where abouts do you live? Do you only play tenor?

Taz

Busking Oracle
Bunny, you have a sax Guru (Pete Thomas) in Southampton and Stephen Howard close by too, they are both well respected and knowledgeable about all things saxophone. I'm sure one of them will be a long soon.

Justin Chune

Hello Bunny, and a warm welcome. As BW saxes come with a two week return policy you can send it back if you don't like it. A friend bought a BW soprano and he is chuffed with it.

Jim.

Top Bottom