Needle Springs - What Size

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Having successfully fixed a reasonably simple but important problem on my Modele 26 alto, I thought 'I'll tweak that spring just one more time to make it absolutely perfect.'

Of course, you know what happened next.

I've found a supplier, thanks to the list in the back of Stephen's manual, but without a decent set of vernier calipers it's impossible to know what size to buy. Obviously, I bought one of everything. ;)

However, is it possible to find spring specs for specific saxes or are you just supposed to have a stock of the things just in case?

jbtsax

Subscriber
Nice idea, but that is not realistic. Repair techs just bite the bullet and order spring sets that generally come in plastic vials with a holder. If you want to measure the diameter of springs to order them individually you can pick up a Chinese made digital caliper for usually less than $10. I don't know if you have Harbor Freight where you live but over here it is a good source for inexpensive tools.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Are there a couple of sizes that most tenors, for example, will use so that an amateur can just get a handful of a springs rather than whole kits?

jbtsax

Subscriber
AFAIK spring sizes are not standard for each size of saxophone. The diameter of each spring is proportional to the size and weight of the key it is attached to. In addition older saxes will sometimes have spring holes that have become enlarged over time. I wish I could be of more help, but ordering 2 or 3 of each size from Wind Plus is probably your best bet.

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I should have known - not only is playing this damn instrument stupidly frustrating, fixing them isn't straightforward, either.

Thanks. Springs ordered.

Colin the Bear

Easier and more accurate than a calliper and no batteries. Can you read a Vernier?

but if you must

Stephen Howard

A cheapo digital vernier is the way to go - you don't want to be faffing around with a 'mic', and you certainly don't need that level of accuracy when measuring springs (or indeed much else on a saxophone).

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
A cheapo digital vernier is the way to go - you don't want to be faffing around with a 'mic', and you certainly don't need that level of accuracy when measuring springs (or indeed much else on a saxophone).
Why not a cheap manual one, (mine was £1), rather than yet more unrecyclable plastic and batteries?

Stephen Howard

Why not a cheap manual one, (mine was £1), rather than yet more unrecyclable plastic and batteries?
You could do. I've got an expensive analog one, but I never use it these days because the digital ones are so much faster to read and often have useful functions, such as metric/imperial conversion and an 'absolute' or relative feature. They're also a lot better when you need to read a measurement in situ - and if your eyesight's anything less than wonderful they're a real help.

Colin the Bear

Cheat.... ;)

Every saxophone case should contain a couple of rubber bands.

I have a quick walk up and down the street after the post man has been. They shed large, quality rubber bands in profusion. Freemans.

Top Bottom