All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Studies Need some music ideas for alto please!

Jobylou

I would say I am playing at about Grade 4-5 standard at the moment and loving the Guest Spot books. My absolute favourite is the Blues one for Tenor Sax. Love the music and in terms of difficulty it seems to be spot on - some easy ones and some with slightly more challanging bits but nothing too scary!!!

I would really like something similar (but not the same) to play and enjoy on Alto and wondered if anyone had any suggestions? I love playing to backing tracks, next best thing to playing in a band (and I'm certainly not brave enough for that!!!)

Thanks
Jo x

jazzdoh

Jo there are lots of playalong books for alto a good website is www.musicroom.com and also there are websites for backing tracks like www.jazzbacks.com and www.soulbacks.com as well as many others,it depends on your preference to music.
The book "Robbie Williams - Swing while you're winning" is a good book with decent backing tracks. On the jazz side there is also the Aebersold books but these are largely dedicated to jazz.
You could also look on sax.co.uk website as well
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

c9off

I too am a sucker for playalongs, I have a 'few'!.....

Also really enjoy Classic Blues, so I feel sure that you would enjoy this set of three books "by special arrangement" Bb & Eb available, written solo to each piece gives them a great twist.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=%22by+special+arrangement%22

Also really recommend this site for books!

edit: Movie Broadway & Gershwin....

BUMNOTE

I enjoy the play alongs too,the beatles and the latin,are my favorites,but plenty out there to pick from,good luck with your playing.Bumnote.:)

saxnik

Hi Jobylou,

keep up with the playalongs, they're good fun, but join a band too, you'll get even more out of that!

Nick

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
I like the Jim Snidero Jazz play along books very much. I dont know what grade 4-5 means but I must say I really like the intermediate book.

Jobylou

Thank you for your replies - I have just ordered these...

I too am a sucker for playalongs, I have a 'few'!.....

Also really enjoy Classic Blues, so I feel sure that you would enjoy this set of three books "by special arrangement" Bb & Eb available, written solo to each piece gives them a great twist.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm="by+special+arrangement"

Also really recommend this site for books!

edit: Movie Broadway & Gershwin....

So I think they will keep me busy for a while! :)
Jo x

TomMapfumo

I like the Jim Snidero Jazz play along books very much. I dont know what grade 4-5 means but I must say I really like the intermediate book.

Grade 4 - 5 is Intermediate standard. In UK Grades go from 1 to 8, 8 being the level to do music at university etc.

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
Grade 4 - 5 is Intermediate standard. In UK Grades go from 1 to 8, 8 being the level to do music at university etc.

thank you, I see those grades come buy more often now (or i'm reading more online) and I never knew what it was.
In holland there is not a real standard I believe but most music schools work with A-B-C-D diploma`s with B a little under intermediate and C a little above and D is university level.

Gallen

I bought this recently: Pam Wedgwood's After Hours. Very nice laid back tunes, check youtube for ppl playing those tunes. I can't play it very well though - my teacher says I'm about grade 2, so if you can do material from 4-5, this book should be fun for you!

hths!

EDIT: There is a grading link on the musicroom site - it says it is intermediate, grade 4-5, perfect for you!
Edit 2: I just realized you said tenor sax >.> I don't see a tenor version, but perhaps the Trumpet version should work? Both are Bb instruments I think?

Jobylou

I bought this recently: Pam Wedgwood's After Hours. Very nice laid back tunes, check youtube for ppl playing those tunes. I can't play it very well though - my teacher says I'm about grade 2, so if you can do material from 4-5, this book should be fun for you!

hths!

EDIT: There is a grading link on the musicroom site - it says it is intermediate, grade 4-5, perfect for you!
Edit 2: I just realized you said tenor sax >.> I don't see a tenor version, but perhaps the Trumpet version should work? Both are Bb instruments I think?

Thank you - I will have a look at that :) I play Alto and Tenor (mostly Alto). I am addicted to the musicroom site! Waiting to get some reward point vouchers so I can treat myself!

Top Bottom