support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Need some help with first recording

Hi Panther thanks for the hints, just want to clarify, the headphones are plugged into the computer directly and not into the microphone jack on the yeti blue? If so whats the headphone jack on the Yeti blue used for. The other thing when you say to listen to backing music though headphones and play into mic , will you be able to hear your sax play though headphones.

Hi

Yes, I have the headphones plugged into the computer so I can here the backing track. I think I only experimented once with plugging the phones directly into the Blue Yeti, it doesn't play the backing track that way. There might be a way to do it, but I haven't found it.

I don't like playing sax with headphones on, but I've found the easiest (if inelegant solution for me is to have one side of the headphones on my ear, and the other side just beside my ear, not actually covering it. That way I can hear enough of the backing track to stay in time, and enough of me to make sure I sound like I want to, instead of sounding like I'm playing underwater! One day I'll be confident enough in my playing to wear them properly (hopefully)

Applying effects in Audacity is a destructive process, meaning that once the effect is applied (and the file is saved and reopened) I don’t think there is any way to remove or edit the effect separately from the uneffected signal.

If you look at my Audacity tutorial you’ll see I recommend that every time you apply an effect you should do it on a duplicate so that you can still have the original. This is a bit of a faff imo.

I don’t know Reaper very well but if you have a Mac then I would recommend GarageBand.

… could someone set out the pros and cons of Audacity v Reaper?
Any other DAWs (right word?) that should be considered?
I’m on Mac, but am sure pc users also interested.

if you have a Mac then I would recommend GarageBand.

I agree - on a Mac, GarageBand is the obvious software to use. It can do what is needed, it is very easy to use, and it's free.
It's essentially a cut-down version of Apple's professional sound editor.
Vastly better than Audacity.

… could someone set out the pros and cons of Audacity v Reaper?

Audacity is for recording a simple sound file. If you want to do anything to that file once recorded, it's a long, drawn out and destructive process. Reaper is a full digital audio workstation, which basically means it's a proper studio on your laptop/Mac/PC, where you can do anything to a file without affecting that file at all. Basically, it's a completely none destructive process. You can also legitimately download thousands of free instruments and effects for it.

It's a wholly logical process, as you'll find with other DAWs - something Audacity isn't. You can also download and use Reaper for free. If you've got a Mac then Garage Band looks like a great place to start, too.