support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Need help - Freddie Gregory mouth piece

Saxydave

Hey,

I've owned a really nice Freddie Gregory mouth piece for many years now and am wondering what it might be worth. It's such a beautiful sounding mp that I'm considering giving it my father for his 60th birthday.

It's a Super De Luxe 8*
Also engraved is 'CUSTOM MADE' '*MADE IN ENGLAND*' as well as what appears to be his signature with the numbers 2070 above that.

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

An ebay seller that I know personally, based in London, is probably the best person to know.
He was a close friend of Freddie Gregory and has many informations.
Would you like me to ask him?

Here is the answer, with some omissions.

I'm not really up to date, but will try to answer or share my opinion. If you check ebay some people listing Freddie's pieces for a lot of money, but I don't think they worth that much and don't think they sell for those prices either. In average I would possibly value them in between £600-£1200, but some might go for less and some rare models might go for more if seller is too pushy. Having said that I've had exceptional Freddie's mouthpiece he made only for me and sold it for £1100. There's no direct answer to the question. Guy didn't mention model or material or condition.

All Freddie's pieces are custom made and except very few they normally state the model: Mark1, Mark2 or3 or 4. Hard rubber used to sell better or similar to the metals, but lately it seems metals are more valuable. Wood should worth more I would imagine. Also it seems Mark4 sells better. It's brighter than Mark2 that Bob Mintzer played. Mark3 which is brightest should sell well while they don't come up often. Mark1, the darkest model gets less attention for some reason. Also hard rubber models differ in design some having extra rings on them which should add to value. Metals also are different, fluted versions should sell better. Also Mark4 would be desirable in metal or HR, but Mark2 possibly HR would sell easier.

Not easy to answer as you can see. Also this is my thoughts, fairly experienced but not paying much attention to the market at the moment. Some might think different, but in any case Freddie's pieces are well sought after as we know and you could write to him he has a fine, valuable mouthpiece whatever model it might be.

Back
Top Bottom