PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Need a tenor mpc whilst waiting for a PPT

VirusKiller

Locality
Milton Keynes (ish)
Very simple (or not as the case may be).

I'm going to switch to tenor, probably going to get a BW sax and a PPT 9* (as I seem to be getting on well with my Yani 9# alto mpc).

Assuming there is going to be several months delay in getting a PPT, what mpc could I get as a stopgap? I guess it should be at least a #7 facing.

I assume you do not want to spend much, in which case I can recommend a Huastar, last time I looked they were less than thirty quid. I bought one here in Australia for the same reason as youself but have been pleasantly surprised just how good it sounds.

I figured I really the sound I was getting from my Yani metal #9 alto mouthpiece, so I have bought the equivalent for tenor at a bonkers price (new for £130). I may still get a PPT, but I expect there will be quite a wait.

Why not go to Ed Pillinger direct? (the guy who makes the PPT) tell him you want something in a similar if not the same facing as the PPT, and the cost will be similar.
I once went direct to Ed for an alto piece that was made of the same Bronzite material and he even finished it with a brass ring around the base at no extra cost!
Timewise i think he quoted me 4-5 weeks but it came in around three.

Why not go to Ed Pillinger direct? (the guy who makes the PPT) tell him you want something in a similar if not the same facing as the PPT, and the cost will be similar.

It might be worthwhile remembering that the PPT was a joint venture between Mr. Thomas and Mr. Pillinger to provide an exceptionally good mouthpiece at a reasonable cost and to raise money for charity. The idea of bypassing Pete's Music Store and the charity donation that would come from the sale by going directly to Mr. Pillinger would seem to be at odds with the spirit of the venture. Just my humble opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris

The idea of bypassing Pete's Music Store and the charity donation that would come from the sale by going directly to Mr. Pillinger would seem to be at odds with the spirit of the venture. Just my humble opinion.
I wasen't for one minute sugesting Viruskiller stiffs Mr Thomas by going behind his back, i'm sure both he, and Mr Pillinger have more integrity than that.

What i was sugesting was an alternative to waiting several months for a mouthpiece that may or may not materialise.

I must admit though, i did forget about the charity thing, but i'm sure Viruskiller could make a small donation through Pete regarding that.

I'm content to wait my turn now that I've resolved my immediate mouthpiece issue... TBH, I'm not sure that I'd be able to jump the queue anyway!

You should have gone to Rico Savers - a Graftonite B7 or C7 Tenor/Metallite M7 from www.rapidreeds.com would only set you back £15 or so.

FWIW a Yani 9 tip opening is the equivalent of a normal 7. Do see the Jody Jazz tenor sax mouthpiece comparison chart for info.

Kind regards
Tom

Hmm, I think Jody's got it slightly wrong. A Yanagisawa Tenor #9 is 2.77 mm tip opening, which is about 1.09 in inches, a fair bit wider than a 'standard' 7. An Otto Link 7 is a 0.100, for example.

Whatever, a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece is a fabulous thing, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Although Graftonites and Metalites (particularly Metalites) are fantastic value, in my opinion, having owned bseveral examples of both these as well as a couple of Yani metal ones, the Yanagisawa is the better piece. Enjoy it.

Hmm, I think Jody's got it slightly wrong. A Yanagisawa Tenor #9 is 2.77 mm tip opening, which is about 1.09 in inches, a fair bit wider than a 'standard' 7. An Otto Link 7 is a 0.100, for example.

Whatever, a Yanagisawa metal mouthpiece is a fabulous thing, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Although Graftonites and Metalites (particularly Metalites) are fantastic value, in my opinion, having owned bseveral examples of both these as well as a couple of Yani metal ones, the Yanagisawa is the better piece. Enjoy it.

Sorry can't resist this:-

Which superman blows this monster.

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, ad infinitum.

Hmm, I think Jody's got it slightly wrong. A Yanagisawa Tenor #9 is 2.77 mm tip opening, which is about 1.09 in inches, a fair bit wider than a 'standard' 7.
Yep, the Jody Jazz chart is wrong. It has the Yani #9 as 105 when, as you say, it's actually 109 (almost the same as an Otto Link 8).

Very simple (or not as the case may be).

I'm going to switch to tenor, probably going to get a BW sax and a PPT 9* (as I seem to be getting on well with my Yani 9# alto mpc).

Assuming there is going to be several months delay in getting a PPT, what mpc could I get as a stopgap? I guess it should be at least a #7 facing.

Don't forget a PPt 9* is 0.125", PPT 8* - 0.117" and a PPt 7* - 0.105".
I'm over the moon with my PPT 8*

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an interesting point John. I was originally planning to get a 9*, but then realized that the Yani tenor #9 corresponded to halfway between the PPT 7* and 8*. This was actually another reason for going for the Yani #9 - it should be a known quantity for me on tenor. Maybe in six months time or so, I'll be in a position to evaluate what PPT I'd like to try, though I concede that, assuming I like the sound of the Yani, I might not want to.

That's an interesting point John. I was originally planning to get a 9*, but then realized that the Yani tenor #9 corresponded to halfway between the PPT 7* and 8*. This was actually another reason for going for the Yani #9 - it should be a known quantity for me on tenor. Maybe in six months time or so, I'll be in a position to evaluate what PPT I'd like to try, though I concede that, assuming I like the sound of the Yani, I might not want to.

Yes, It's the GAS syndrome.
In the sixties I never gave it a thought. When I turned professional in 1964, I bought my MkVI, and a metal Berg Larsen to go with it, I don't even know what lay it was, I tried it, liked it and just got on with it (I did scrape reeds to suit though (ducks to avoid the incoming flack)). As I said the PPT is great, but I'll have to record it to see how it compares to my B.L. 120.

John,

Made a whoopsy. :blush:
Johnboy beat me to it.

So, on the subject of accuracy what is Gadget Acquisition Syndrome Syndrome - you must have got a double dose.....:shocked::w00t:;}

I'll email Jody to get him to amend his error.........:blush:

Love to all
Tom:cool:

So, on the subject of accuracy what is Gadget Acquisition Syndrome Syndrome - you must have got a double dose.....:shocked::w00t:;}

I'll email Jody to get him to amend his error.........:blush:

Love to all
Tom:cool:

Too true, I wound up with three m'pieces.

John.

Ed can certainly sell you a Pillinger with the same facing as a PPT, but it would be a Pillinger, not a PPT as the internal dimensions would not be the same.

However the reason we are not selling them at the moment is due to clearing the back orders for PPTs as well as Ed keeping up with (even larger) back orders for Pillingers, so it's quite likely he would take longer to do a custom Pillinger than it would for PPTs to be back in production.

Back
Top Bottom