All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Accessories Need a new tenor sax case

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
The case that originally came with my Walstein has just given up the ghost so I'm looking for a new case for the tenor.

I love my hiscox for the alto but they're awfully expensive, especially the proper model with strap and pads etc. Does anyone have some other suggestions for good cases at reasonable prices or should I just go for the hiscox?

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Locality
Sunny Aberdeenshire
My BW tenor loves travelling in a Hiscox case - excellent fit and very sturdy. They occasionally come up on ebay if you don't want to buy new......

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
Just been looking on the Howarth website and the Hiscox looks very average price. They had some Winter cases which seemed possible.

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
I have the Protec illustrated. I bought it through Amazon and paid US$150; it cost $50 to get it shipped to Hong Kong where I was then living. I needed the wheels as where I was living had no motor transport and lugging the tenor was getting less and less of a proposition with advancing years - particularly after a gig where I might have needed to quench my thirst!

It's a great case - my only criticism is that it is heavy. Just wheeling it about is no problem but with my Selmer inside it weighs about 20kg. Space for a clarinet or flute and a stand plus mike and cable in external pockets. My bell mike mouthpieces and reeds go inside. I've also checked it on to flights a couple of times with no problem.

. pb305wl-black-open.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
It's a great case - my only criticism is that it is heavy. Just wheeling it about is no problem but with my Selmer inside it weighs about 20kg.
. View attachment 2460

:shocked:

I often buy and sell saxes for a bit of fun. A normal tenor in its case, packeged up and ready to post weighs about 9kg!

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
Sorry - senior's moment. Just weighed the case alone - 15lbs! Still heavy though.

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Sorry - senior's moment. Just weighed the case alone - 15lbs! Still heavy though.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gator_abs_deluxe_tenorsax_koffer.htm

it's a sax shaped case. Really tough. Fits my YTS-23 PERFECTLY.
Top quality at a bargain price.

has a small socket for reeds , mpc etc.
it fits my reed case , my mpc w/cap and a neotech sax strap.

Take a look at a shop if you can see it. and post your comments.
I bought it online from thomann.

S.

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I've just purchased the Gator case after reading some good reviews here and other places on the web. It looks like it will do the job well and as much as I'd like to have the hiscox, the gator is half the price so I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I've had the Winter fibreglass shaped cases,there great.They have superb padding.Some space for reeds etc.Hiscox tenor cases are great but bulky i think.For the cash the Winter is my pick.I had the silver 1's,very nice.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I've just purchased the Gator case after reading some good reviews here and other places on the web. It looks like it will do the job well and as much as I'd like to have the hiscox, the gator is half the price so I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

Yea the Gators do the job well.Did you get the ABS case,i had the alto plastic case,very sturdy little thing.Price is great on them.

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales

Thanks!

I got a Gator case for my Weril trombone - excellent. I was going to recommend then but couldn't remember the name!

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
Yes I got the ABS case. The price is excellent for what appears to be on the market. The Winter cases do look good but are similarly priced to the Hiscox cases which I know I really like, so in the end it came down to those two and with such a large price differential I had to plump for the Gator.

The Hiscox/Winter cases are half the price of the sax alone!

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
The Winter fibreglass is £109 at Howarths! Your BW must have been a real bargain................................

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
The Winter fibreglass is £109 at Howarths! Your BW must have been a real bargain................................

About triple that, it was a great deal but I bought my Walstein before they came to market :)

They've changed a bit since then even on the base models. Haven't had a chance to play any of the new pro line but they must be awesome! Took mine in for a service yesterday and was lucky enough to get a chance to blow a MKVI from '63 side by side and the Walstein won in my book. The VI had the best bottom end I've ever blown and obviously great character with it's appearance but was a much tougher blow overall and closed up in the higher registers.

Anyway case due to arrive next week, will give a full report once I've tested it out.

Linky Lee

Locality
Salisbury, UK
I received my new case from Thomann last week and gave it it's first proper run through at a gig yesterday.
It arrived in a hugely oversized box but was adequately filled with airbags to cushion it. First impressions were good. The locks seem strong and solidly riveted, the interior is well lined and build quality overall appears rather good.

My tenor fits snugly, better than I thought it would for a generic case without extra padding inserts and most pleasingly of all when closed the instrument does not rattle. With a few little tweaks of extra padding in a couple places the instrument will be held very snuggly so that there is zero movement.

The case comes with a spare key and a shoulder strap although the catches can work themselves into a position where they will unhook themselves, so I do not trust it and have removed it.

They've managed to get a couple small pockets for crook and accessories in the case, whilst keeping it relatively small. THe crook fits great and the other slot has just enough room for a mouthpiece a few reeds, cork grease, my strap and a pencil. Any other accessories required I put in a soft bag down the bell of the instrument or in my gig bag.

All in all a good case and excellent value for money which I can definitely recommend.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom