All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Need a felt and some mpc cork for my BW alto

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
The felt pad which stops the bottom pad (D? ... I never get down that low!) from hitting its protective cover has fallen out and needs replacing.
And I need to have a go at replacing my alto mouthpiece cork.
Can someone please suggest a supplier who'd post me such a small amount of bits, to Spain?

I really need Stephen to give my sax the once-over, but it's rather expensive to bring it over with me and then to trek down to his neck of the woods!

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
There is someone on eBay called saxmanjamie. He sells all sorts of odds and ends, including felt and cork. He is in Canada, but he ships worldwide. I have bought a few things from him and would recommend him. I am in Canada, so postage costs were low for me. It might be less economical to get things sent to Spain...

Stephen Howard

Locality
UK
The felt pad which stops the bottom pad (D? ... I never get down that low!) from hitting its protective cover has fallen out and needs replacing.

Doesn't sound like the low D (which has a foot at the back of the key, which rests on the body).
What you're describing sounds like one of the 'bell notes' - low Eb down to low Bb - each of which is covered by a guard. These have a bumper felt fitted to them, which sits above the key cup. It's usually a cylinder of felt, typically 9 or 10mm in diameter.
Unless you have the appropriate wad punch it will be hard to cut a cylinder of felt out of a sheet - but, fortunately, you can buy ready-cut bumper felts.
If in doubt re. size, go for 9mm. They are held in with a drop of contact adhesive.

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
Thanks, Stephen, for your advice. It's the tone-hole right at the bottom of the bell's curve, and closed by the right-hand pinkie (C?).
(Four of those bottom tone holes, on the BW, anyway, have felt bumpers to stop them hitting the covers ... as shown in your avatar!)
So I need a green 9mm felt (as well as some neck cork) ... now where to get one, without having to buy 25!!

Last edited by a moderator:

arock

Locality
Northern California
I use MusicMedic.com. They have everything. Fast and friendly.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Thanks, Stephen, for your advice. It's the tone-hole right at the bottom of the bell's curve, and closed by the right-hand pinkie (C?).
(Four of those bottom tone holes, on the BW, anyway, have felt bumpers to stop them hitting the covers ... as shown in your avatar!)
So I need a green 9mm felt (as well as some neck cork) ... now where to get one, without having to buy 25!!

pm me your address, I'm sure I've got one. If it's not green, you can use a board marker to colour it.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
pm me your address, I'm sure I've got one. If it's not green, you can use a board marker to colour it.

Just remember children

Red and yellow makes? Yes orange!

Blue and yellow make? Yes that's right green!

Etc...

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
Many thanks, kev and altissimo ... I'll see if I can get both from Dawkes.

Rogerb

Locality
Costa Blanca, Spain
Thanks, again ... Dawkes is just a bit closer to Spain, so I'll try them first.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I get lots of bits and pieces off ebay from China and Hong Kong. They take ages to come so I order stuff just in case and they all go in the repair biscuit tin of bits of cork, felt and little screws etc. You can cut up a felt bass guitar/ukelele plectrum. Swiss army knife and the manicure set come in handy for fiddly jobs.

Beware of the little sheets of synthetic cork they sell. It's ok for some applications but not for everything.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
If not, saxmanjamie seems to have both in stock. I have a neck cork from him. I just need to pluck up the courage to put it on.

+1.
In the past I found buying bits and bobs from him cheaper than UK. And he would reply to your emails if you have a doubt.

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom