All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Near miss.....

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Atoning for a colourful past, I was sentenced to having to go to London today on business...

I had a bit of time between sessions, travelling across London and I thought I would pop into the Early Music Shop. Now last time I went there (the main outlet is at Saltaire near Bradford - much bigger than the London shop) they were near Baker St.

I managed to Google it en route and discovered it was now in Denmark St... ... ...

Now not being a local, the name rang a bell, but I wasn't sure why... ... ...

Got side-tracked by a visit to Foyles as I was walking past and visited the sheet music department... ... ...

Walked across to Denmark St. and realised Sax.Co is on the opposite side of the road :w00t:

Well, had to go in, it would have been rude not to :)))

I just about managed to ignore the siren voices and had a look around, drooled a bit, and managed not to spend any money.

Next time, I suspect I will be assimilated....resistance is futile...

I didn't escape entirely, I did buy some cello music whilst in London....

Last edited by a moderator:

breathless

I visited Sax.co 2 weeks ago and came out 3 hours latter and the cost of a shiny new Yanagisawa T901 light! ouch!

great staff in there though, very helpful.

Lee.

Fraser Jarvis

Walked across to Denmark St. and realized Sax.Co is on the opposite side of the road :w00t:
Yes i made the pilgrimage to Denmark Street last year while my Daughter was getting ready for a "gig" at Saddler's wells, couldn't believe the whole street was wall to wall music shops, i was really blown away! Unlike you though i managed to spend best part of £300 on an alto mouthpiece.....for a sax that rearly gets played!:shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Was known as Tin Pan Alley owing to the number of music publishers located there, so it is good that the music tradition continues. It also served as a lesser Archer Street for musicians looking for a gig and dance band leaders looking for musicians. Handy as small and large orchestrations for the dance tunes you were about to murder were available within a few hundred yards.

BTW:-Excellent programme on Mahalia Jackson on BBC Radio Four, yesterday 1130. iPlayer it now.

jazzdoh

Atoning for a colourful past, I was sentenced to having to go to London today on business...

I had a bit of time between sessions, travelling across London and I thought I would pop into the Early Music Shop. Now last time I went there (the main outlet is at Saltaire near Bradford - much bigger than the London shop) they were near Baker St.

I managed to Google it en route and discovered it was now in Denmark St... ... ...

Now not being a local, the name rang a bell, but I wasn't sure why... ... ...

Got side-tracked by a visit to Foyles as I was walking past and visited the sheet music department... ... ...

Walked across to Denmark St. and realised Sax.Co is on the opposite side of the road :w00t:

Well, had to go in, it would have been rude not to :)))

I just about managed to ignore the siren voices and had a look around, drooled a bit, and managed not to spend any money.

Next time, I suspect I will be assimilated....resistance is futile...

I didn't escape entirely, I did buy some cello music whilst in London....
You must have more will power than me,every time i visit that shop my wallet is so much lighter than when i went in.

Brian

Fraser Jarvis

You must have more will power than me,every time i visit that shop my wallet is so much lighter than when i went in.

Brian
Yes, but with a shop so good as sax.co you somehow felt obliged to spend serious doe, you just cant help it, the whole place just gets you!

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber

Brian
I was saved by being on a tight deadline to get to a meeting... had there been more time...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Was known as Tin Pan Alley owing to the number of music publishers located there, so it is good that the music tradition continues.
Now there is also a Denmark St. big band... Interestingly recommended. One of the sax.co.uk guys organizes it.

jazzdoh

Yes, but with a shop so good as sax.co you somehow felt obliged to spend serious doe, you just cant help it, the whole place just gets you!
Sax.co.uk in Crowborough is even harder to resist,must be due to Jules not letting you out until you have no money left. LOL:)))

Brian

jazzdoh

I was saved by being on a tight deadline to get to a meeting... had there been more time...
Now i was going to give you 10 out of 10 for resisting,but now we know the real reason,afraid its only going to be 6/10.

Brian

Fraser Jarvis

Sax.co.uk in Crowborough is even harder to resist,must be due to Jules not letting you out until you have no money left. LOL:)))

Brian
Yes i went there with AndyG a couple of years ago for a Snake Davis master class, the place was mind blowing, the only thing i bought that time though was a ligature.

navarro

Hi aldevis I have seen the DSB. many times on Utube but every time they have a guest vocalist. I would really like to see and hear the band doing a Charles Mingus composition or even an Ellington number without vocals. Regds N.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Hi aldevis I have seen the DSB. many times on Utube but every time they have a guest vocalist. I would really like to see and hear the band doing a Charles Mingus composition or even an Ellington number without vocals. Regds N.
I would (one more interested advice) recommend you the Hot Orange big band then. Their last gigs were a tribute to Mingus at the 606 (2 weeks ago) and a tribute to Ellington in Whitechapel at the White Hart (last week). You can subscribe their mailing list writing to enquiries at hotorange dot org

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom