All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Native Dutch Speaker...your assistance, please

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Hi all
I know that there are some Dutch speakers on here (me being one of them) but I am after a native Dutch speaker for a little assistance.

My 16 yo daughter is about to take her Dutch GCSE. She has never had a teacher. Some of her Dutch I have taught her, some she learnt while at an English school in the Hague, and some she has self-taught, some she learns while on regular visits there.

On Tuesday she has her spoken exam.
The first part of this requires her to speak for a minute on any subject she likes, and then discuss this with the examiner.

She has chosen to do "My family, my home and my hobbies" as her theme.

She can write a piece for this in advance and use it to learn some relevant vocaublary. I am able to check this over, but it is now 11 years since we left the Netherlands (having lived there for 5 years) and I no longer use my Dutch on a daily basis.

She also needs to prepare some vocab on the subject of "sport and health" to hold a question and answer style discussion with the examiner.

So, my question is: if she prepares a couple of relevant pieces, would you be willing to check it over for her?

thanks in advance

Taz

Busking Oracle
Would it be a help if she chatted on the phone to one of my Dutch friends? I'm sure they'd be only too happy (I'll check first obviously!) Failing that how about Milandro?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Would it be a help if she chatted on the phone to one of my Dutch friends? I'm sure they'd be only too happy (I'll check first obviously!) Failing that how about Milandro?
I think Milandro's Italian, but lives in Holland, so maybe...

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I cannot help with Dutch, but i found this useful tool to communicate with Italians:

Last edited by a moderator:

milandro

Just saw this, yes, I was born Italian, but I have lived in Holland for the lats 22 years and in the process I have gained the Dutch nationality and a university of Louvain (Belgium) certificate from the Nederlandse Taalunie. I am fluent in Dutch although I might make the occasional mistake ( the use of neutral and masculine-femminine words and their associated adjectives is the trickiest aspect of the Dutch language).

If I can be of any assistance, please, get in touch with me.

I love the guy in the Italian video.........I don’t speak English like that though but I am fluent in the Italian gestures and their Neapolitan variant as this guy is

Last edited by a moderator:

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
She's on her final dutch exam of 4 on Wednesday morning. :welldone

I don't think it has actually been as traumatic as it had seemed 2 weeks ago.

She's a bit of a natural linguist (as are all 3 of my children, strangely :thumb: ) so once we'd sat down and ploughed through a few books and some conversations on CDs she seemed a little calmer.

I'll let you know in August when the results come out :w00t:

next up for her is a grade 4 music theory exam in June, to get onto the music AS-level course at college :(

Many thanks for offers of help and support

The only dutch I know is: Ik hou van you(?) mijn engel, heel veel, voor altijd en altijd.

As you can see I had a dutch boyfriend once upon a time. Lol.

Anyway it amounts to: I love you my angel, very much, for ever and ever.

milandro

Ik hou van jou ............yes, a very poetic boyfriend too........

apparently the best way to learn a language goes through the heart

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
From what I could glean from her, all 4 exams were OK.
It's difficult to judge what that really means either from her, or as far as a final mark might be concerned.

And the results come out in August, I think 23rd for GCSE results.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

No members online now.
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom