All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

National Youth Jazz Orchestra.

navarro

Morning All, Watched them on the televised proms last night. Great performance. Their conductor was enthusiastic with a nifty routine in footwork. I wondered if he had studied Joe Loss`s routine. What interested me was whether or not these musicians are an offshoot from the national youth orchestra.

I found the sax solos rather clinical. One interesting aspect of the orchestra was the lone french horn player and I think the only female player apart from the vocalist who sat at the end of the sax section and harmonised on a number of tunes. (Of course this could be Mr green with envy raising his ugly head on my part re the solos..)

The french horn player took me back to the early days of Stan Kenton who used to feature them quite regularly and mellophoniums , sadly an instrument we never hear of today in jazz combos. The late great Pete Rugolo (Bari) doubled on the FH. in the Kenton era.

Everything said a great performance

While I am gurgling on is anyone going to listen to the prom dedicated to John Cage and played solely on cactuses. I watched a clip on this project while they were tuning up and honestly, perhaps unfairly chuckled at the percussionist tapping his cacti spikes. Perhaps they will spike their drinks before performing.) another comment from my days as a unsuccessful stand up comic. :D Regds N.

navarro

Interesting link BigMartin. I did not realize that Amy Winehouse was a member of the N.J.Y.O. in her early years. Come to think of it though I always thought there was a true blue jazz artist trying to break out. I saw Miss Winehouse live just before her trajic demise and did not like at all her rendering of Mr Jones. Unfortunately at this stage in her career she was being influenced by outside forces. Regds. N.

trimmy

One day i will...
I always thought there was a true blue jazz artist trying to break out. I saw Miss Winehouse live just before her trajic demise
Lucky lucky you seeing Ms Winehouse live, i had tickets to see her at aintree but unfortunetly she was ill and had to cancel :( i think her music was very much influenced by the blues/soul/jazz.
Fantastic artist and greatly missed, i'll watch the iplayer later in the day.

AndyWhiteford

I saw 3 or 4 tracks ( & was going to start a thread) ,I thought they were excellent, with some very nice sax solos too,[ though perhaps a bit too much in that same berkley-school cookie-cutter chord/scale-theory-driven style? ], wish i could play as well as any of them & I'm more than twice as old. -A- in fact i started playing before some of them were born :)))

breathless

I feel compelled to say that miss Whinehouse had an amazing talent but I feel betrayed by her in as much that she had such talent and was raised such a high pedestal by fans/supporters and loved I might add, and yet she saw fit to shove crap up her knok to the point of destruction and in doing so betrayed her fans.

I think maybe she didn't have the right people around her but I find it contradictory that her loved ones come out of the woodwork after the fact and claim they are lost without her ect-.

As a parent, you either invest in your kids or you let them grow up around you, but do the cry when it all turns to crap!!!!!

trimmy

One day i will...
I think Ms Winehouse made one mistake in life 'she fell for the wrong guy' who eventually had a massive influence over her, it happens and it's sad when it does happen, whether talented or not.

navarro

I feel compelled to say that miss Whinehouse had an amazing talent but I feel betrayed by her in as much that she had such talent and was raised such a high pedestal by fans/supporters and loved I might add, and yet she saw fit to shove crap up her knok to the point of destruction and in doing so betrayed her fans.

I think maybe she didn't have the right people around her but I find it contradictory that her loved ones come out of the woodwork after the fact and claim they are lost without her ect-.

As a parent, you either invest in your kids or you let them grow up around you, but do the cry when it all turns to crap!!!!!
Totally agree breathless, being of the same religious persuasion as Ms Winehouse but not practicing. As you probably know Judaism is matriarchal by birth definition and one reads constantly about her Father but very little about her Mother.

I think I read somewhere that her parents were estranged and her Mother brought up the children single handed. So it might be a little unfair to blame both for her situation, as her early childhood seems to have been more or less normal.

But who knows, once talent starts bringing in massive monetary rewards family life can become a circus. Regds N.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom