National Saxophone Congress - Aberdeen 2010

psy267

Hi all
I'm new to this site and I would hate to get off on the wrong foot so maybe someone will let me know if telling you about a musical event is deemed marketing.

OP
psy267

psy267

What is a congress?

Not sure what Pete's attitude will be. As he's such a nice guy, there will probably be no objection.

My need is a definition of "Congress".
I guess the best way to describe a congress is to say that it's something for everybody who enjoys the saxophone - top class performances, an ensemble competition, workshops/masterclasses and a massed sax performance at the end for everyone who brings an instrument, playing specially commissioned pieces.

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
Is it really in Aberdeen next year? That's great - I might actually go. I read about this years in Thailand and it sounded fun - James Carter was one of the jazz soloists. I found a link if any one wants to know more:
http://www.wscxv.org/web/introduction.php

Last edited:
OP
psy267

psy267

Is it really in Aberdeen next year? That's great - I might actually go. I read about this years in Thailand and it sounded fun - James Carter was one of the jazz soloists. I found a link if any one wants to know more:
http://www.wscxv.org/web/introduction.php
Well the first thing to be clear about is this is not the World Sax Congress - that's the one that happened in Thailand this year. Although the good news is that St Andrews, in Scotland, will be putting on the next World Sax Congress in 2012.
What we're hoping to do with a National Sax Congress is give people from the UK a chance to come to Scotland in 2010, check out what we can offer in the way of saxophone music and prepare the way for St Andrews - hope that doesn't sound too arty-farty. We just want lots of sax enthusiasts to come up and enjoy a musical bash.
So, its scheduled for the 5th - 11th July 2010 and its split into 3 parts. The first is 3 evenings of professional performances. Then there are two days of ensemble competition, with the winner of each category (e.g., quartet, octet etc.) giving a gala performance on the Friday evening to decide the overall winner. And finally, there's the workshops on Saturday and the mass blow on Sunday where everyone can join in and learn and perform.

Does that sound OK?

We're hoping to have a website up soon where individuals and ensembles can register their interest. In the meantime, they can email me direct at roy.allen@abdn.ac.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom