support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

N Herts/S Cambs Jazz Workshop

Bari251

If you live in North Hertfordshire or South Cambridgeshire you may be interested in playing in a regular jazz workshop.
Sessions start on Thursday 17th Sept. Beginners and improvers welcome. Details on
http://www.jazz4all.me.uk/21203.html
The workshop is run by Ray Batson, who can be contacted via the website above.
I've been attending the regular sessions for a number of years, and can recommend it if you want to get better at improvising on jazz standards.
Malcolm

I'd love to go but its just a bit far for me to get there on time and I know I cannot make next week for sure as I am in Manchester Thursday all day and Edinburgh Friday!

On reflection, Karen has me 'stoked' up with rather a lot too so I'd struggle to fit this as well. Shame! :(

How good do you need to be to join & what's the format? I live in Cambridge & so am very interested but don't want to be in completely over my head & destroy the small amount of confidence I have already!

It will be a 10 week course playing about 6 numbers of differnt rhythms, swing, latin, Modern etc etc. At the end of the course there will be a concert played to an audience consisting of members of other courses he runs.

The cost is about £45 and he sounds very nice.

As for ability he did not say but my guess is if you can play chords and have a bit of an idea how to improvise, that's all that you need.

He did say the emphasis is on rehearsing the numbers and improving week by week.

Hope this helps

How good do you need to be to join & what's the format? I live in Cambridge & so am very interested but don't want to be in completely over my head & destroy the small amount of confidence I have already!

I attended his North Kent course early 08, I had only been learning 18 months. Everyone way very supportive... initially I played the dots, but within a very short time began to improvise (the word pops out so easily, unfortunately the correct chords didn't!).

Still in touch with Ray, and planning to return with my new toy (bari) after my left hands grows or I chop the E palm key down... but that is another story!

IIRC he didn't chatge me initially so pop along and see what you think.

good luck
Geoff

I have only been playing 9 months! I do have lessons and I have noticed that when I play with others it pushes me out of my comfort zone and makes me practice more but can be a bit - no alot stressful at times with lots of wrong notes!

Ray has e-mailed me & said come along and see what I think - I am now debating what to do.....