support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Microphones Myers Pickups

Not wanting to be negative or anything but it doesn't mention saxes anywhere. The instruments it does mention are somewhat quieter than a horn, especially in full flow.

I assume it's for a clarinet or something else?

You're right to bring that up!

Amazon USA reviews: Amazon.com: Customer reviews: The Feather Saxophone Microphone with Flexible Micro-Gooseneck by Myers Pickups

Here's the Amazon UK listing: "THE FEATHER" SAXOPHONE MICROPHONE with FLEXIBLE MICRO-GOOSE NECK by Myers Pickups ~ See it in ACTION! Copy and paste: myerspickups.com:Amazon.co.uk:Musical Instruments

Reviews are good:

5.0 out of 5 starsGreat, dynamic and versatile mic
February 5, 2019 Verified Purchase

"I have been using a Myers Pickups "Feather" mic for about 18 months now - performing with my tenor sax in a live band. The mic is light and delivers a great sound. The mics are good quality, versatile and durable.
Am also performing with flute so decided to get another.
Myers Pickups has great customer service. I reached out with an enquiry, and Gregg Myers himself called to make sure it was taken care of.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending these mics."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding pick-up for saxophones July 22, 2015 Verified Purchase
"I play alto and baritone saxophones and found this pick-up to deliver a spotless clean sound. Easy to assemble mount on the instrument and carry. Thumbs up!!"

I hadn't even seen these until now. I did see mentions of saxophone, but you're right that they don't mention it at all on the page I initially linked to.

Last edited by a moderator:
What intrigues me is that it seems to be for any acoustic instrument from accordion to violin to guitar and woodwinds!

My initial report of the Myers Feather mic/pickup.

It seems to be excellent in my initial tests. Below is a short WAV file with the Myers followed by a Sennheiser MD421, a very high quality mic worth over £350 ($380 on Amazon today).

Yes, the Myers is far flatter, but it's designed to go into an amp, not for recording. Further, I have plugged the mic into a keyboard amp and using a high level of various effects with the volume not too high sounds really good with reverb, delay, octave, chorus, etc., because you have the saxophone natural sound and the effects. This will be cool when I do my "show" next month.

Ok, I'm the first person to say "Why would you ever want to mess with the actual natural sax sound?", but, used as a novelty, this will help me in maybe one tune, I think. The mic allows the saxophone sound to come through the same amp as the backing tracks I'll be using, which is why I bought it.

On a recording with a backing track, the Myers doesn't fare well, the frequency range is too narrow, but then, it's not made for this.

Long story short, the Myers Feather is versatile -- should you double on guitar, bagpipes or accordion, it will work with these and comes, with suction cup mount for guitar and two different clips. I'm not sure how long a battery lasts, but you have to remember to unplug it during the breaks. If you need to mic the sax in a rock band, I think this will do the trick.

It comes with a battery installed, a spare battery, a little case and takes about 5 minutes to put together, as there are protective pads on the clip. The output is not very high and they suggest using a direct box.

I think it is well worth the price and will be very useful.

IMG_20190810_145912.jpg

Was you not tempted by the Feather 2 ?

When I searched saxophone on their site, I found they have that slightly more expensive model with two miles instead of one!

No this seems to be good for what I wanted. I've also ordered a wireless rig to see if it'll work in my plan. It's for guitar, though.
The Feather is pretty cool, the company sends a nice package and the declared value was below customs ceiling if you see what I mean? Took only 5 days to get to me.

No this seems to be good for what I wanted. I've also ordered a wireless rig to see if it'll work in my plan. It's for guitar, though.
The Feather is pretty cool, the company sends a nice package and the declared value was below customs ceiling if you see what I mean? Took only 5 days to get to me.

Where did you buy it from? I found them on the french zone.