All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

My Website

Taz

Busking Oracle
Hi folks, I've made some minor alterations to my website, would you mind having a look and then rip it a part. I mean be as critical as you like, I've got very thick skin! ;}
Thanks to you all.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
It's a very good site, in this day and age of people trying to be too clever.

If I have to rip it apart I'd lose the line and wiggly thing between the header and the frame of the content. Looks a bit twee. Oh, and ditch the link to SOTW. (Only joking Mike)

Sort the typos, eg

A subject we seldome like to discuss, but what could be a more fitting tribute to your loved one, than the morenfull tone of a saxophone playing your favourit tunes.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Hey Taz I don't know about being thick skinned,but for me the website looks fine. It sets out what you are about.It's easy to navigate.What more can I say nice one fella.:welldone:welldone

Good luck with the new solo venture by the way..

Cheers

Chris:D

Taz

Busking Oracle
If I have to rip it apart I'd lose the line and wiggly thing between the header and the frame of the content. Looks a bit twee.

Sort the typos, eg

Thanks for that Pete, I could have sworn that I sorted out the typos, done now! As for the wiggly thing, first of all, I had to look to see what you meant, and yup, it does look a bit "twee" unfortunately I don't do the whole "build it yourself you clever chap" bit, I do the "there you are, have a template, dummy!" and my "wiggly bit" is part of the template. I'll have to live with it, but I think it's fairly minor.

Thanks for the comments Chris.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
but I think it's fairly minor.
Yes it is. Chris is spot on, the site does what good website's do best: easy navigation.

I would add some ego stuff, like when you won that busking video of the month or whatever it was called.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Realy, I don't like blowing my own trumpet.....

That's why I play the sax :))):))):)))

Taz

Busking Oracle
I just added an "ego" section to the biog page, let me know what you think! I'm not over keen, but like I said I don't like to blow my own horn, whatever type it may be. I think that's why, when I originally wrote it, I did it in the third party. I just felt a little more comfortable with it!
Oh well, lets see how it goes!

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Hey Taz thats fine like that,it's nicely worded and fits in with the rest of the biog page.

Chris

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Taz,

would you mind if I go through it with a fine toothed comb?
I've spotted a small number of really minor gramatical errors, but they're the sort of thing that would put me off continuing to read if I was genuinely looking, no matter how good your CV.
It's all part of my true pedantry and OCD!! I try to suppress it, but sometimes (when proof reading, for example) it's really rather useful. I'll get back to you with a list if you don't mind :D

Taz

Busking Oracle
Thanks very much Mandy, that's just what I'm after. I'm a little like you in as much as if the writing's too small, or not enough paragraphs etc, trouble is I'm not well educated so grammar spelling and punctuation don't come easily!
Thanks again for your time.

Young Col

Taz, yes easy to use site. Very good! I can see a few typos as well but it doesn't need two us to go through it so I'll leave it to Mandy!
YC

tommy

Like the site easy to get round it nice vids will keep me eyes on it for new threads

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Probably one of the best constructed amateur sites I've seen and a lot better than several professional ones that try to be too clever then don't hang together.
The photographs are particularly impressive.
Typos, 3 times in 'Influences' and 1 in 'Jam Sessions' the closing quote marks should be before the punctuation.

Gallen

Straightforward layout and good use of videos! Simplicity is a virtue, I say!

Alvin

trimmy

One day i will...
Right i'm probably going to get shot down for this..... here goes, may i suggest you change your pic on "My services" the reason being is you are advertising your excellent services, but your picture is let down by your tattoo !!! Now before you all have a go at me " I HAVE TATTOO'S " so i am not anti-tattoo, i just feel it lacks a certain professionalism ! :blush: (runs and hides)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Right i'm probably going to get shot down for this..... here goes, may i suggest you change your pic on "My services" the reason being is you are advertising your excellent services, but your picture is let down by your tattoo !!! Now before you all have a go at me " I HAVE TATTOO'S " so i am not anti-tattoo, i just feel it lacks a certain professionalism ! :blush: (runs and hides)
Think I agree with that also "Live performances to suite your needs" needs to lose the e on suite. I'll leave the rest to Mandy but that one really stands out as it is a heading.

Love the site otherwise, easy to navigate and the jam session map is a great idea.
Jx :welldone

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Taz, good start. Looks like a lot of the earlier comments have been sorted out.

1 - Home page shouldn't be the bio. More like what's on/what's happening. What you do.
2 - Bio pic is OK, but the mic strapped to your arm is a no-no Something less straight may work better, not sure.
3 - Agree with Pete T on the twiddly bit in the frame. Not keen on the purple, either - too close to pink.
4 - Would be good if the referecne to cafesaxophone on the influences page was a link. (plug plug!!). I much prefer the pic on the influences page, even though there's a double image
5 - Videos - try and concentrate on what you're trying to sell. These don't really do this. First is good (although you could be a bit more pominent in places), second not - if I was thinking of booking you, I'd stop right there, cos you hadn't got to grips with the bari when you made that one.... The Floyd one is good, but the recording is poor and there's too little of you in it. Busking - fun, but it doesn't sell you as a pro sax player. Try and get some up that show your perfoming skills, either studio, or more live. and aim for the quality that Pete/Matthew Stone get, especially as far as music goes. If you've got time, set up a session and recod some specially for the web site. Some fo your busking tracks are excellent for this. Some vdeoless sound clips would also go down well and be easier to do.

Hope this helps.
6 - Funerals - need to be a little more tasteful/restrained here. What would you play for a funeral? Shoot a video of a couple of tracks that would suit.
7 - Email - take the adderss off the web page, all it'll do is get you a ton of spam. The contact form is good, though.

5 -

Andante cantabile

A website that is easy to manage. And all the comments you have received will make it free of errors. I like the bit about funerals.

TomMapfumo

Realy, I don't like blowing my own trumpet...
If anyone wants to learn the trumpet but doesn't actually want to do the blowing then I could blow it for them at a reduced fee. You could even rent one of my own trumpets, and for a further fee I could make sure that your spouse/friends/family wouldn't even need to hear the results, by doing most of the playing in the Skabertawe area........................ ........................:shocked::w00t:;}

Taz, you are just not going to win the new competition to be Lord PPT Thomas's apprentice unless you come up with a cleverer scheme for making money....;}

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom