All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs My turn for a soprano mouthpiece

Gallen

Hello!
It's my turn at mouthpieces :) The current one I have does not seem to be a good match to my sop, hence the hunt. I'm looking at the Selmer C*, or Runyon Custom. Based on the sound in this clip, I am leaning towards the Runyon. Will be making a trip down to scuk's crowborough store sometime next month (the london store does not have the runyon custom, at 12pm today :p)

Would love other suggestions that would guide towards the sound in the clip above. My budget is in the £100~ range.

Bonus question: How would you describe the sound in the link above? Edgy? Bright?

Thanks!

Alvin

dave 645

Hi Alvin,
I have no expertise in saxophone "sound" so please don't think I am right. To me the bonus question is one I wanted to answer before anybody else, as much for me to guage my "ear" against others before they posted a response. Make sense?
Anyway, being completely honest I found the sound difficult to listen to, neither edgy nor bright, just too high.
I apologise profusely to the player, and tell you now his ability is far better than mine, but I just found it hard to listen to.

TomMapfumo

Hi Dave!

I absolutely agree with you - the mouthpiece commonly elicits praise on SOTW, as does a Yamaha, but I do not the results produced on the clip - I would say that the sound was on the brighter side, but not excessively so. The Selmer C* is not as highly rated as the Super Session either but Nick Wyver has one so may be more helpful about this.

If you are keen on a mouthpiece which helps produce a related sound, you probably want something medium at this stage, and not too bright. A Morgan Vintage, a Runyon Custom, a Lebayle Ebonite Jazz or LR, a V16, a Yanagisawa or Yamaha HR, or Bari HR.

A lot of mouthpieces can be a little uncontrollable in the upper range, part of which is due to the player. The Runyon is a very small piece requiring the smallest size soprano ligature. I would ask guidance from any retailers you contact. I first got a Berg Larsen 65/2 as a result of speaking to Jules at sax.co.uk, which was spot on at the time - but they may be above your price range at £140+

Hope this helps
Tom

In terms of what is around in UK

Gallen

Dave, Tom, thanks for your input :) Going to look at Tom's recommendations on youtube to hopefully find clips of those mouthpieces mentioned. The Lebayle is of certain interest :) I'd also love to look at the beechler metals (greg vail) but it's a little expensive.

jazzdoh

The one thing is by going down to sax.co.uk at crowborough you will have a great amount of choice,my advice would be go down with an open mind and try every piece in your price range,you have to remember that the runyon might not sound like the clip on your setup

Good luck

Brian

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Sorry, I didn't like the sound in this clip. He sounds more like a snake charmer than a sax player. But I prefer the deeper saxes, alto's on the limit of acceptability to me. Higher up I prefer the clarinet. But having said that I love the way Sydney Bechet played Soprano.

TomMapfumo

For a visitdo also look up www.howarth.uk.com which has many of the mouthpieces on my list also and may be nearer to you in Chiltern W1. A Vandoren V5 is also worth considering. Good lick finding something suitable.

Gallen

Thanks everyone! Will be away for the week (leaving for airport now!) I'll be sure to update once I get a piece :)

Two Voices

I'm very happy with my new Lebayle Ebonite LR 7*. It is more ligature friendly than my Vandoren V16 which I found very difficult to get a lig that sit right (even from their own range). I'm currently using it a Rico H Ligature but the Rovner Dark and Light Ligs fit perfectly too. The sound is different with all three ligs making it a nice versatile piece.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
I still find a BARI HR hard to beat.Branford Marsalis used 1 for many years,Andy sheppard has used 1 and Tommy Smith.This is my 2nd Bari sop piece,had some great sop mps but these just do it all,versatile is the word,great price also.

Gallen

Hey everyone! Just got back this afternoon, spent the last few hours checking out more soprano saxophone clips and... I'm not exactly sure of what kind of tone I'm after now. After the week's break, indeed Kev is straight on, the clip I presented does sound very snake charmerish :) I'll see if I can pop by a shop soon to try some of the recommendations in the thread; I may go for a stock standard student piece. May be a bit hasty in my drive to get something unique for my sop since it's my for-fun experimentation instrument.

Cheers!

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom