My sweet darling A5 is in misery.

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I do it anyway and (as we say in Norway) "take the pepper" for it if need be :)

My sweet darling A5 is in misery.

No I'm not talking about the road from Westminster to Holyhead. (Although some of you might argue that parts of that road is as miserable as ever intended by the aforementioned word.) It is my beloved Yani, a beautiful A5 series alto saxophone that has been with me for 35 years whereof I speak. And now I fear it is the 19 years of complete neglect I put her through, that is the cause of her embarrassing condition.

The Old Lady has sprung a leak. Well, more than one leak to be perfectly honest. Some leaks you might say. And let's not beat about the bush here, it is actually a few more than a couple of leaks. I had a friend check for those darn leaks while I played and it turned out the only place she didn't leak was out of the mouthpiece as it was at that time occupied by a tight git.

I want her back in shape and in a rush of (and in historical line of) irrational decision(s) a rash decision to perform a complete overhaul myself (see latter part of previous sentence) was made. Two of the needle springs seems to bend in all but the directions they are meant to bend. One of the adjustment screws on the Bb/G# articulation arm is missing and has undergone a quite tasteful and professional temporary fix of having three matches jammed down the hole. Her main body could also definitely do with a decent brush up. OK, I know I may have to fork out quite a substantial amount of money having a professional undoing my doings. Nevertheless, I shall attempt the feat.

But before anything like a screwdriver or pliers comes near the beauty I need to acquire the pads, springs and screws needed. And a bench anvil. Ehhh... being a true 'blinger' and suffering from a major GAS syndrome, anyone knows 'bout a copper laced nickel plated iron anvil?

griff136

Rudjarl, I can understand why you would want to have a go at this yourself and good luck - it isnt an easy undertaking but if you take your time and use the right tools and methods theres a good chance you may make a decent enough job. on the other hand you may just be putting off the inevitable and adding time and cost to the end result.

If you do intend to go ahead and repair your sax yourself - dont get a bench anvil, you can use the face of a large hammer - just secure it in a vice and then place the needle spring on the hammer and splay the end using another hammer.

Regarding springs - you would be better off buying a set as your sax probably has 10 or more different sized ( diameter) springs.

Pads - now you can buy sets of pads but in my experience you rarely get every pad to fit - you would be far better off removing the old ones and measuring each pad cup with some verniers or digital calipers and ordering the right sized pads in the first place.

As for your regulating screw I will check my yanni A500 and see if I have a spare lying about.

If after all your efforts you still have to send it to a tech - post it to me in the UK and I'll repad it for you for a fair price.

OP
rudjarl

rudjarl

Hi Griff,
thank's for the advices. Admittedly, it's the springs that worries me.

If after all your efforts you still have to send it to a tech - post it to me in the UK and I'll repad it for you for a fair price.
I'll keep that in mind. A pro tech in Oslo demanded in excess of 600£ (5600 NOK)... And blimey, she's worth it

griff136

I charge around £300-375 for a repad on an alto - which includes non chemical cleaning of the instrument , removing acessible dents, removing any play/sloppiness between the keyposts, ensuring the key posts are aligned, checking toneholes for level and adjusting as necessary, fitting new pads felts and corks/linkage materials ( rubco/teflon/ultrsuede), checking and adjusting all hinge rods(axles) and pivot/point/barrel screws, assemble and lubricate, regulate the action and adjust/ balance spring tensions and set the instrument to top playing order.

I repadded Maneast's (a member here) yanni alto with roo pads : http://www.flickr.com/photos/39897186@N02/3668412913/in/photostream/

old git

Tremendous Bore
RJ,
Can thoroughly recommend Griff as he literally does all the CaSLM horns and we are all delighted with the service and the price.

Just seems to be satisfied with enough to live on (he'll never be a Merchant Banker) and the satisfaction of having clients with a smile on their faces.

Sadly I'm not being paid for this but it is true.

jonf

To be honest, Rudjarl, my advice would be to send it to Griff to do. His rates are very reasonable and his work is excellent. He did some restorative work on a Yanagisawa A6 stencil I bought as a wreck and it is now a great, great alto. If you've neglected the sax for the last 19 years you won't have spent much on it, so it deserves some quality work. This about it this way. If you've played the thing for 19 years, and Griff now charges £350 to put it into great shape, that works out at just over £18 per year. Plus, having it done wel means it's unlikely to need much more doing for years to come.

If you want a sax to tinker with, why not buy a junker to practice on, rather than risk messing up a great horn like a Yani A5?

Just my opinion.

Jon

OP
rudjarl

rudjarl

You are quite right, all of you. Better leaving the job to Griff than risking wrecking it... Griff, you give me your address and I send it to you. (Though it's probably cheaper to fly to London by Norwegian Air (only 80£ back and forth) once the people of Iceland turns off their volcano)

Meanwhile, The Old Lady leaking put me in a rather sticky situation for a while. I have accepted playing the alto in a marching band at labour day and constitution day (Seventeenth of May). And then... nothing to play with. Earlier today I went to the local music store and they had a brand new Belcanto BX-700 alto saxophone for only 3400 NOK (about 370£). So I tried it. It was a nice horn. Easy to blow. Not as heavy (weight) as the A5, maybe a pound or 2 lighter. But all around pretty OK. Not at all the 'plastic' cheap feel I reconed it would have. I bought it. And when Griff has done his magic on The Old Lady I'll give the Belcanto to a local school band so some youngster can enjoy it :)

griff136

My address is:
D GRIFFITHS
85 MEADOWVIEW ROAD
EXMOUTH
DEVON
ENGLAND EX8 4ES

I am on holiday on the 6th of May so if you would like it done before then post it off asap.

OP
rudjarl

rudjarl

Thank's Griff

I am on holiday on the 6th of May so if you would like it done before then post it off asap.
We can do it after your holiday. The Belcanto is sufficient for marching through the streets and desperately trying to play in tune, so it's no rush. Besides, I've always wanted to visit the Dartmoor National Park. Perhaps early June would be a nice time for that? and thereby kill two birds in one go :)

griff136

Chris pointed out that there may be a security issue that I may have overlooked having put the date of my holiday and my address on the Forum. I have relatives coming to stay whilst we are away - an advantage of living near the beach I suppose - or disadvantage depending on who wants to stay in the house whilst we are away !

A very valid point Chris and thank you.

Top Bottom