All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

my simple song

DexMade

hi all.... im a beginner sax player... i try to make some composition, i need advice from you all...
this is my simple song... please give me your advice... I hope you all can help me for developing my technique for play sax....
thx before....
smile.png

https://soundcloud.com/dexmade/mulih

Reactions: Sue

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Locality
Cambridgeshire
Hi DexMade, and well done, I love it. My main advice is to watch your intonation, you sound off at the beginning of each main phrase, but otherwise that's a really sweet piece :thumb:

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I don't think the intonation is out. It's just an unusual note to pick. Slightly disonant, which grates the first few times as it's unexpected but as the piece progresses and the ear expects it , it just sounds mournful.

What sort of advice are you looking for?

DexMade

Hi DexMade, and well done, I love it. My main advice is to watch your intonation, you sound off at the beginning of each main phrase, but otherwise that's a really sweet piece :thumb:

hi TimboSax,
thx for your advice... yes I will learn more about intonation... thx for listen my song.. :)

Loved it:)

Jx

hi Jeanette,
thank you, you've taken the time for listen to my songs ..
thanks a lot.. :)

DexMade

I don't think the intonation is out. It's just an unusual note to pick. Slightly disonant, which grates the first few times as it's unexpected but as the piece progresses and the ear expects it , it just sounds mournful.

What sort of advice are you looking for?

hi Colin the Bear, thx for listen...
maybe you can give me advice about my playing technique, like a vibra, blowing and many more...
by the way... thx a lot for listen my song.. :)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
The most effective and useful advice is to practice as much as you can. You seem to be doing fine.

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
I like the unusual first note... actually I think that Colin and Timbosax are both right - if you are going to hit an unusual note then your intonation has to be extra good. Alternatively you can make it extra 'bad' - and bend it around for effect, growl or whatever. ( I confess - I have a range of strategies ready for whenever I hit a bum note...)

I'm guessing that the melody - and that choice of first note - owes a lot to your guitar playing - and nothing wrong with that!

Was it Sonny Rollins who said that if you want to be a better saxophonist you should learn some piano? And - as a late guitarist friend used to say (a big Django Reinhardt fan) "A guitar is like a portable piano..."

You have good rhythmic sense - guitar again, I guess. My ex-wife, who has an instrumental music degree, says that when sight reading getting the timing right is more important than getting all the notes right - and the same applies to head arrangements and improvising.

You are going to learn sax quickly!

Last edited:

DexMade

I like the unusual first note... actually I think that Colin and Timbosax are both right - if you are going to hit an unusual note then your intonation has to be extra good. Alternatively you can make it extra 'bad' - and bend it around for effect, growl or whatever. ( I confess - I have a range of strategies ready for whenever I hit a bum note...)

I'm guessing that the melody - and that choice of first note - owes a lot to your guitar playing - and nothing wrong with that!

Was it Sonny Rollins who said that if you want to be a better saxophonist you should learn some piano? And - as a late guitarist friend used to say (a big Django Reinhardt fan) "A guitar is like a portable piano..."

Good rhythmic sense - guitar again, I guess. My ex-wife, who has an instrumental music degree, says that when sight reading getting the timing right is more important than getting all the notes right - and the same applies to head arrangements and improvising.

You are going to learn sax quickly!

Thx a lot for your advice Mr. kernewegor, i try to applied and practice more.. i will try in next song for better.. :)
thx a lot, you've taken the time for listen to my songs .. :)

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom