All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

My next album

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
As I mentioned elsewhere, I recorded my new album, back in June.
After a lot of postponing, we are now in the phase of almost having the final mixes.
I kind of still like the music (except my own playing, of course)

A well known forum chief helped me a lot in my decisions, but still are some topics that could be worth discussing while having a coffee.

The first format we aim to release is the good old vinyl. Because it sounds much better (and highlights the warmth of my 85% copper tenor neck @milandro ).
But we have about 90 minutes of releasable music (15 tracks!), so a CD is on the way too.
How should I split the tunes? 6 on vinyl and 9 on CD? Double CD?

Some tunes are unpublished originals, some are by other composers, like Mingus, Ellington, Monk (I always end up there). Will it make a major difference regarding licensing?

I can easily leave tracks unreleased, but I like the option open.

On youtube I am thinking of putting just alternate takes, some of them have some shooting, but I struggle with conversion formats when I add the actual audio.

In case you were wondering, studio was great (I had to stop drooling on the microphones), people were great, bass player could even make proper coffee, kindly provided by the cafesaxophone surrealist moderation team.
caffé.jpg

Last edited:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Mp3 downloads?

Or are you just determined to be old fashioned? ;)

They will probably come with the purchase of the CD or the record.
One of the things striking me now, is how much you lose on mp3, or even on standard CD quality.

I know that everyone nowadays listens to mp3 or worst, but I like the idea of selling something valuable, where the investment done for the recording can be appreciated.

(Eartha Kitt is in my head, now)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Doesn't make any difference to me. I can't distinguish between a decent mp3 and a cd.
Not even if it has been recorded with a metal mouthpiece :)?

(when you have the opportunity, try to listen to a 24bit recording, or compare a vinyl to a CD)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
(when you have the opportunity, try to listen to a 24bit recording, or compare a vinyl to a CD)

BTDTGTTS

I used to work with an ex hifi salesman and got to hear loads of different systems. Lately I've done my own comparisons of various formats. Amazingly, I could hear the music in all of them.

ellinas

Well I can hear lots of differences between mp3s ( mastered mp3) , mp3s from CDs , older vinyls ( before cds era) . The difference is big in capturing nuances that make you feel and live music.

I have bought again cds that I had as vinyls and the vibe is not there. I might not even pay attention to songs that I loved all my life if I first heard them on CD/mp3.

But for uses like a portable system or DJing at the beach, mp3 are wonderful.
Not for my home listening purposes though. :)

So, respect from me to those that still support vinyls.

BigMartin

CD vs vinyl is not going to make a difference on any equipment I'm likely to be able to afford. Also, vinyl wears out just a tiny amount every time you play it, no matter how good the gear. I would be miffed if some of it was on vinyl only, as I dumped my records and turntable a few years ago.

Last edited:

Young Col

Aldevis is quite a player.
Does young Micheal play piano on the album? Because he is a huge talent.
I have many treasured vinyl albums but I'm not sure I want to buy new ones. I've got some albums remastered on CD and with even a fairly good sound system I'm not sure I can tell much difference in a domestic environment. CD is my preferred format though for new music. I've just got used to it. I do find the amount of compression used in MP3 affects the dynamic range quite a lot and is noticeable in the same sound system and in the same environment. However, I have some MP3 versions of tracks on my (very old) phone and played through earphones in a noisy public environment, like in a street or on a train, the lack of dynamics doesn't matter that much.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
I would buy and value a vinyl recording for what it was but I wouldn't find it the most convenient format... I'm rarely a sit and listen guy nowadays and I listen far more when on the move

Sue

One prosecco, two prosecco, three prosecco - floor
Café Supporter
I do most of my listening either in the car or on spotify/internet radio these days so mp3 or CD works for me. I too got rid of a turntable and vinyl years ago. I tend to agree with Nick that I can't hear a great difference although it is years since I knowingly heard a vinyl track.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
So it seems that a CD must be released (a code for an mp3 is likely to be included with every purchase).

I still have the 90 minutes issue. Would it be too annoying if some vinyl tracks will not be included in the CD (but available for download)?

Since it has what I consider to be one of the best recorded sounds of a soprano (within the limits of the player), quality makes a difference. While I can listen to Steve Lacy on youtube, I cannot stand myself, after hearing how the recording might sound at this stage.

Any suggestion about copyright procedures?

Does young Micheal play piano on the album?
You are thinking of young Chris (Neil). Unfortunately I had to replace him at the last moment, but his replacement, Liam Dunachie, is wonderful too. i have been very lucky with the band.
In case you know them,
John Eacott tp (known for Loose Tubes)
Paul Taylor tb
Richard Sadler b
Chris Gale d

By the way, we used germanium based preamps, I know you like this kind of things.
Here is the studio
http://www.stateofthearkstudios.com

I would actually like a copy on 8 track if available?

I would love my name on one of those.

Young Col

Yes, sorry, I meant the brilliant Chris Neil. Pity but sounds as though you've got round not having him.
Some nicely vintage looking stuff in the studio. None the worse for that though.
Do they master to analogue tape or is it digital? If the latter it may already have lost some of the ambience that vinyl users expect if it was transferred to that medium.
I'd be happy with CD and MP3 code.

Colin the Bear

As far as format goes, I don't see the point of mp3 with a cd. For sharing between technologies, the cd will rip won't it? Or am I missing something. Mp3's are handy for low fi listening on the pooter or the ipod or phone but for serious listening I can still tell the difference between cd and mp3. I never had a good enough turntable to compete with cd's. My 2p would be for everything on CD.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I am not sure some listeners would bother ripping the CD for their smarphone.
And still 90a minutes means a double CD.
Also we like giving vinyl buyers something special...

Jamesmac

As I mentioned elsewhere, I recorded my new album, back in June.
After a lot of postponing, we are now in the phase of almost having the final mixes.
I kind of still like the music (except my own playing, of course)

A well known forum chief helped me a lot in my decisions, but still are some topics that could be worth discussing while having a coffee.

The first format we aim to release is the good old vinyl. Because it sounds much better (and highlights the warmth of my 85% copper tenor neck @milandro ).
But we have about 90 minutes of releasable music (15 tracks!), so a CD is on the way too.
How should I split the tunes? 6 on vinyl and 9 on CD? Double CD?

Some tunes are unpublished originals, some are by other composers, like Mingus, Ellington, Monk (I always end up there). Will it make a major difference regarding licensing?

I can easily leave tracks unreleased, but I like the option open.

On youtube I am thinking of putting just alternate takes, some of them have some shooting, but I struggle with conversion formats when I add the actual audio.

In case you were wondering, studio was great (I had to stop drooling on the microphones), people were great, bass player could even make proper coffee, kindly provided by the cafesaxophone surrealist moderation team.
View attachment 2791

Looking forward to purchasing in MP3 format. All the tracks

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom