support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

My new website

Kingsleyhk

I've just gone live with a new website - www.kingsleyjazz.com.

The focus will be on the music that I love - jazz, blues and classic popular music. But - rather like Philip Larkin in his famous jazz reviews - I'll also address music that I may not like or perhaps even understand.

I also hope to be able to introduce you to some of the great musicians who are perhaps less well known than they should be.

PLease take a look and give me any feedback.

Good site :thumb: introduced me to a few more players/singers i hadn't heard of (but i am still new to jazz) good to see you put the great Randy Crawford on your list of faves :) and a hometown local in George Melly what a character ! i did actually pick George Melly up from Lime st stn many years ago took him took Lark lane.

Thanks

Looks good, I like what I've seen so far. Missing a couple of my favourites, but it's your choice.

May be worth splitting the articles on the great players, one per page and adding some more info on each one.

What did you use to build the site?

...May be worth splitting the articles on the great players, one per page and adding some more info on each one. ..

I agree. If you can do that by using sub-menus on the left it would be better. I think your menu list is long enough. Possibly change the menu so that it has only half a dozen or so choices with the sub items appearing when you hover over the top level if the editor supports it. I did that with the menu items on my site (www.mpl1.weebly.com), Gives you lots of choices without cluttering the pages.

Thanks for all the responses. Please bear in mind that this is just the start - I'll be adding as I find stuff. All my books are on a ship from Hong Kong to Indonesia at the moment, so I'm a bit bereft of reference sources.

Clarinets - Acker will be there in his own right - he's actually already there as a part of the Danny Moss post. I also plan to add Sammy Rimmington, Dave Shepherd and Terry Lightfoot - and of course Monty Sunshine. On the US side, Peanuts Hucko and Kenny Davern will get a run and I plan to add Stan Hasselgard, and some of the early guys like Jimmy Noone.

I used SimpleSite.com to register the domain and used their software to build the site - very straight forward - even for a dunce like me.

I'll look at splitting the pages. It had started to occur to me that it was maybe becoming a bit unwieldy. Not actually sure it can be done with this software - I'm still very much finding my sway!

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have bookmarked it and will certainly spend a bit of time there. Did I miss Joe Darensbourg in the clarinet section?

I do like virtuosi as the plural of virtuoso :cool:

I too have bookmarked it and will certainly spend a bit of time there. Did I miss Joe Darensbourg in the clarinet section?

I do like virtuosi as the plural of virtuoso :cool:

Not heard of Joe Darensbourg but he's now on my list. This is one of the things I want to achieve - new names to me and to anyone who reads the site.

Virtuosi/virtuosos - didn't mean to be pretentious but I just think "virtuosos" sounds so clumsy!

Not had to chance to look past the welcome page but do you want typos pointing out eg "well know" - missing the n and should typed as shoudl?

Jx

Joe Darensbourg played with Louis Armstrong. If you type his name in YouTube quite a bit comes up.

Speaking of Louis, will there be a brass section, too, as well as vocalists, guitarists, etc...?

Oops: sorry- I meant to say congratulations on what seems at first quick browse to be a website that I wish I could have put together. It presses all the right buttons for me and I look forward to passing a lot of time enjoying it.

Congratulations again and many thanks.

Dave

Good idea using Word... You would not believe how many people pick up on typo's :( Doesn't matter too much unless your website is trying to sell something though

Problem is that spellcheckers only pick up real howlers! And I really do try to be perfect, as I have an advertising background where perfection was the minimum standard for typos - but it's hard!

Oops: sorry- I meant to say congratulations on what seems at first quick browse to be a website that I wish I could have put together. It presses all the right buttons for me and I look forward to passing a lot of time enjoying it.

Congratulations again and many thanks.

Dave

Cheers - I'm going to try to keep up a reasonable pace of additions - since I'm semi-retired, I should be able to.