All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Miscellaneous My new toy

trimmy

One day i will...
2013-01-11 04.53.13.jpg

Iv'e been thinking of buying one of these for a while now, to leave in my cab and practice when sitting for lonnnnggggg times on the ranks.(job is slow)
Well, took it out tonight and boy are they difficult (fingering wise) nothing like the fingering of the sax, which i thought they were, after all they do call it the pocket sax.
I'll persevere for the time being and see how it goes. :D

dubrosa22

I've been considering one too. I didn't realise the fingering was very different, thanks.
What's the volume on these puppies? As loud as a clarinet? Louder?

Cheers,

Sent from my Xperia

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Pic looks like a bicycle pump... Are you sure he sold you the right thing? ;}

Seriously, I guess the fingering is much like a recorder/tin whistle. Shouldn't be too different from them..

jrintaha

Here's the official fingering charts: http://xaphoon.com/fingeringcharts.html

It's not as handy as the sax or clarinet, but not impossible either. I've not taken out my xaphoon ever since I got my tenor sax. The mouthpiece is HUGE, and makes my jaws ache. It sounds fantastic though, so much presence in something that's so small and looks like a bicycle pump.

Good thing you got the plastic version. Me and a friend ordered xaphoons, I got the bamboo Bb version and the intonation is absolutely horrible (most notes 20 cents sharp no matter what you do, others 20 cents flat), whereas his plastic C xaphoon has good intonation. I guess the climate is so different here that the bamboo version goes out of tune.

I'm thinking of sawing off the mouthpiece and installing a fitting for a regular tenor or alto sax mouthpiece and see where that gets me.

Sunray

Ha Ha trimmy ...

:sax:I hope you are aware that's how the pied piper became famous ...

Colin the Bear

I guess the fingering is much like a recorder/tin whistle.

Recorder is boehm system isn't it? It's the trainer for all woodwind. Tin whistle is a one off and much different.

I looked at the zaphoon but the four finger left hand fingerings put me off. I put the carrot clarinet in the same section.

Last edited by a moderator:

trimmy

One day i will...
Pic looks like a bicycle pump... Are you sure he sold you the right thing? ;}
No wonder i can't get the notes out :shocked: The low notes do sounds stuffy when i'm blowing it, practice practice practice makes perfect or so they say.
This will be me in a few months......... ok maybe years........ BOTM here i come :)))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAhVUQNMH2s

With the time i have on my hands in the cab you never never know !!

Colin the Bear

Ah! the bicycle pump played like a cross between a flute and a swanee whistle takes me back to the school bike sheds.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I've had one for 20+ years. I'm still debating whether it works best as a cudgel or a door stop.

Moz

I have one of these. I find the tone quite pleasing but I also find it hard to maintain an embouchure and I have to exert a lot of wind pressure to get it to sound good. I think with perseverance it could be a wonderful instrument and if I had some perseverance I would be good with it...but I haven't.

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
Stick it on ebay. You might get a note out of it.
:D Very good.

I was looking at a Xaphoon only yesterday. It does have a certain appeal, as did the crystal flutes next to it. And the pBone. I think I hanker after slightly unusual instruments.

trimmy

One day i will...
Stick it on ebay. You might get a note out of it.
Between £40-£50 of good notes, they still fetch decent money

I have one of these. I find the tone quite pleasing but I also find it hard to maintain an embouchure and I have to exert a lot of wind pressure to get it to sound good. I think with perseverance it could be a wonderful instrument and if I had some perseverance I would be good with it...but I haven't.
I may not have the perseverance but i have the time, i'm getting a few more notes out of it but whether they are in tune is another matter !!

I was bought one as a christmas present a coupl of years ago, I cant get a note out of it!
Very surprised to hear that as iv'e heard you play, it does make me worry :shocked:

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom