support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Miscellaneous My new stage setup.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
After reading @Veggie Dave’s post on ear plugs, I thought I’d share with you, my latest stage set up.
I’ve been searching for a simple solution to the old “mic & monitor” issue that those of us that gig suffer from. If you play with a loud band you may find yourself struggling to hear yourself over the over enthusiastic guitarists. Does the sound guy have suitable mics for you? Are the stands suitable? What monitors are available? Will my ears hurt at the end of the night?
To find the answer to the above issues, I decided to put together a system that I could just hand to the sound guy and then walk away. I know very little about sound engineering and mixing desks, so, with the help of a friend of mine who runs the sound and lights for Dark Side of the Wall, I’ve put together a rack mounted system.
This comprises of a Shure BLX188 twin wireless mic system, a T.Bonn IEM75T monitor transmitter and belt pack system running into a pair of Shure Se215 ear buds. This gives me the ability to hear my own personal mix at exactly the volume that I want!
I have also incorporated a draw to keep the belt packs, ear buds and batteries in. I’ve only used it live a few times but I’m over the moon with the results. No more am I standing, fixed in front of a stand alone mic. No more am I struggling to hear myself and most importantly, no more are my ears screaming when the gig is over!
The flight case is a 4u 19” meaning that it hold 4 standard height units of 19 inches wide. It’s also a “shallow” unit, meaning that it takes up less room. The draw that I’ve chosen is 2u to give me the depth to hold the power supplies and other bits an pieces.
Here are some photos of the unit. All in all, it’s cost around £650

Very smart. I've had to say goodbye to two different bands that thought (over time) that they were better if they played louder. Fact was that nobody could hear clearly after a certain degree of loudness so as long as they played in time the dancers were happy and most of the band was happy...I wasn't as my hearing was more important than playing with and for idiots.

I couldn’t agree more Wade, I turned up to an audition and just walked out after about 10 minutes and asking “is this an audition or a stadium gig, cos I can’t hear myself think!” Some people just don’t realise that you only have one pair of ears!

Just a quick update, the band played a festival this weekend and I couldn’t be happier with this rack system. I gave it to the sound guy (someone we’d never worked with before, and I instantly had exactly what I wanted at the volume I wanted it at too! All in all, money well spent in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom