support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones My new soprano: a Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988

CaillouSax

Locality
Gatineau (Québec), Canada
Hi guys!

Just want to share my joice with you...

I bought a new soprano: a Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988.

I am not an expert, so it's difficult for me to describe the sax or its sound, but I can say you that it is wonderful! You can see pics here: Yanagisawa Elimona (S-880) 1988

In my own words, the playing is soft and fast; it's freeblowing as there is just a little bit of resistance in the lower and upper notes and the sound is warm and, I think, dark (as I understand that word).

I'm really happy now, and don't need to buy another sax anymore. I will focus the GAS to the accessories... :w00t:

Hi Caillousax,
What a beautiful instrument, Is it brand new? it certainly looks it. I say that as you mention 1988 and it doesn't look used. Have fun.
Rob.

Thanks Rob.

Not a brand new, but my tech told me that it was not played often as... it still bears the original pads which are like new!

Looks wonderful. I'd like to say I'm not envious, but it wouldn't be true. Enjoy!

A tasty bit of kit. Try to describe the sound or even record it. It looks brand spanking new. Lucky fella.
Enjoy it.

Looks wonderful. I'd like to say I'm not envious, but it wouldn't be true. Enjoy!

Thanks!

First of all, I think I should have written "joy" (or something else) instead of "joice". Sorry for that... I'm just a French Canadian Frog (as English Canadians sometimes call us)!

I am very happy with my little treasure found on ebay... (I bought 3 out of the 4 saxophones I owned on ebay without any bad surprises 'till now. Thanks God!)

Last edited by a moderator:
A tasty bit of kit. Try to describe the sound or even record it. It looks brand spanking new. Lucky fella.
Enjoy it.

Thanks.

Sorry, but since I am just a beginner and not used to that particular sax, I couln't really describe the sound with more details that I did in my first post. As to a record... I don't have a good equipment for that (standard mic on my iMac only), but I will try to do something not too bad someday.

When he reviewed the Elimona soprano for the Clarinet & Saxophone Society a few years ago the late Max Holgate was very, very impressed with it. Enjoy it.

Jim.

Bon soir!

So are you currently playing it without a mouthpiece - amazing! I have a BW Curved Soprano, and use both a Vandoren V16 6S and a Brancher Jazz J15 - both produce a pretty smooth sound with character. I have always had good experiences with eBay - you just need to know what you are looking for and avoid the obvious popular/desired makes IMO.

I hope that you have many happy hours of playing - I would say that you know when you know, in terms of instruments, when the search is over (at least for a few years, especially as our sound concept is likely to evolve and change over time, and we generally have curiosity and need some degree of novelty to keep us alive). Its not that long ago that RPC mouthpieces were the top recommendation - never hear about them now........

Kind regards
Tom

When he reviewed the Elimona soprano for the Clarinet & Saxophone Society a few years ago the late Max Holgate was very, very impressed with it. Enjoy it.

Jim.

Thanks Jim! It's another reason to be glad of my purchase.

Bon soir!

So are you currently playing it without a mouthpiece - amazing! I have a BW Curved Soprano, and use both a Vandoren V16 6S and a Brancher Jazz J15 - both produce a pretty smooth sound with character. I have always had good experiences with eBay - you just need to know what you are looking for and avoid the obvious popular/desired makes IMO.

I hope that you have many happy hours of playing - I would say that you know when you know, in terms of instruments, when the search is over (at least for a few years, especially as our sound concept is likely to evolve and change over time, and we generally have curiosity and need some degree of novelty to keep us alive). Its not that long ago that RPC mouthpieces were the top recommendation - never hear about them now........

Kind regards
Tom

Thanks Tom.

However, I don't understand why you are assuming that I play without a mouthpiece. I have a Yanagisawa Ebonite 5 for the moment.

But, as to evolving, I think that I will not change my saxophones since I think that they are among the best. I will look for mouthpieces and reeds instead. I believe that I could change my sound with these things, without having to get another sax. Am I wrong?

I am looking for a real great Jazz sound for both my Mark VI Alto and my Elimona Soprano.

If someone has some ideas to share...

Have a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Je m'apologise!

As you had not mentioned what mouthpiece you were using I imagined that you had not got one yet - just a joke. Also, whilst many people stick with the same instrument for many years, I know many people who also change for different reasons, so just sharing my experience, not criticising in any way!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

No problem Tom! I didn't take it in the wrong way, as a critic. I was just wondering why you was assuming that. Sorry if you believed that I was annoyed...

The problem is that my wife (Minister of Finance here) has cut the budget down to zero as to the purchase of saxophones... :shocked:

Also, I think I got two of the best saxophones on the market and, honestly, I don't know why I could part with any of them. They are almost like new, in mint condition. Even the pads are original (and in a new condition) on the Elimona! :welldone

So I think I can go a very long way with them by buying other mouthpieces or reeds from time to time (it's also less expensive or risky than changing the beasts). Am I wrong or... nuts? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom