Subscriptions and donations are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Saxophones My New Sax

Lewis.S

Hi, this is my first time on the forum, so be gentle!;} and Merry Christmas!
I just wanted to ask about my new alto saxophone. I am really pleased to say it is a Selmer Super action 80 series II, I had to take out a large chunk of my savings for this, it is supposed to last my life, and I hope it will.:mrcool Though the reason I have started this thread is not to polute this, (as we kids say) awesome forum, I just would like to know what accessories would be good, mouthpieces, cleaning cloths etc. I can save up!

I currently have a selmer S-80 mouthpiece which I got FREE! and I have the lig and cap that came with the sax.

As well as the sax playing like a dream, the ridiculous price held me back, but we got it excluding VAT, so hundreds of pounds stayed in my savings!:D
I'm really happy with the sax itself, it is really comfortable and enjoyable to play, but I am insecure on the sound. (I take this very seriously you know!)

Lewis

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Lewis.S

Lewis.S

Hi Tommy,

Thanks,:thankyou: I am glad I don't need a new mouthpiece, though I am worried about whether I need any new cleaning kit for it, I don't want to spoil a good sax.:D

Lewis

P.S. Anyone who posts to me, I am young but I understand all the terminology!

Chris98

Hi Lewis,

Welcome to the forum, have you been playing long?

Forgive me if I've got this wrong but I was under the impression that Selmer's came with the S-80 as standard but lack a case! If you've not got a good case to protect your lovely new sax then I'd strongly suggest you get one.

As for cleaning stuff, well there is a lot of conflicting advice, some will say use a pull through others will say get a pad-saver or do what I do which is to use both. Don't forget the neck, I've noticed that condensation only reaches a small way into the body of the sax but is quite noticeable in the neck so a neck pull though is worth while.

A stand for the sax alleviates a lot of the worry about where to put it when you've taken a break but not finished playing.

Enjoy your new sax,

Chris

Edit: I was wrong it doesn't come with a S-80 mouthpiece, although it does come with a ligature and cap! how odd.

OP
Lewis.S

Lewis.S

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't forget a decent case! If I didn't the cleaning stuff would be useless! I will take note of this, I have been learning for almost four years now, and am aproaching my grade 5, so I got my new sax, but I am no way near matching your level of progress! I admire you for coming along so quickly. It must be great to be able to buy things for your sax so freely,

Lewis

P.S I have read your beginners diary, it's great and that is why I joined the forum, to talk to people like you!:) Merry Christmas

Chris98

Hi Lewis,

I started to learn to play a musical instrument later than a lot, but not as late as some. You are young with obvious enthusiasm and you’ve been playing for four years, which is a clear indication of your motivation. Enjoy your new saxophone but above all, enjoy playing it and making music with it, and maybe you’ll realize those dreams that some of us older folks know will remain for us at least, just dreams, but they are good dreams.

As for being able to buy things for the sax so freely… it’s not that freely, I still experience guilt every time I buy something new and deliberate for ages before hand! I started off on guitar when I was 18 (you’d have just been born!) and they were so expensive then, this was before the mass Chinese imports. I ended up buying a lovely second hand Yamaha acoustic that had a nice voice but lacked any real bass. Once I started to work I bought the guitar that I’d always wanted, I thought I’d missed the boat as it was a limited edition from a few years previous, but there it was in the shop. I handed over, as I suspect you have just done, more money in one go than I have ever done before. It was a lovely guitar but you know what, I still couldn’t play it any better than the Yamaha! You’re the voice of any instrument you pick up, and you can only develop that with time and effort, you have yourself a fine instrument there that will grow with you and shouldn’t hold you back.

Best of luck with your Grade 5 and have a wonderful Christmas.

Chris

OP
Lewis.S

Lewis.S

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the advice, you sound like you really enjoy your music!
Have a Happy music making New year, and Christmas full of carrols, I know I will

Lewis;}

Pete C

not a pad saver

Most technicians advise against pad savers - basically you are just letting the sax stand after you have played with the pads cocooned in a moist pad saver - better to pull through then leave with air cisrculating. Pete

Taz

Busking Oracle
I always leave my saxes on their stands to air them out. I use a pull through to dry them out and only use a pad saver when they are in transit in their cases. I would only recommend leaving them on their stands if you don't have any young children or pets running around to knock them off though. :shocked:

Simo

I always leave my saxes on their stands to air them out. I use a pull through to dry them out and only use a pad saver when they are in transit in their cases. I would only recommend leaving them on their stands if you don't have any young children or pets running around to knock them off though. :shocked:
That's good advice. I'm a 39 year old grade 3 tenor player and it's those little tips that you pick up that make all the difference. Any more?

Top Bottom