support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones My new one-of-a-kind tenor

With a key closed to position the pad correctly, how do you lock off the ball joint? Is there a hole in the top of the key cup to access the locking mechanism with an Allen key or such like?
Please provide a photo to help me understand, or link to one you already have.
I had this same idea in my head a while back, but failed to imagine how the pad could be locked in place!

Hi Rhys, did you hang on to this I had bid on this when it was for sale on ebay, I was actually just curious if you still had it and if you were thinking of getting a change I may be interested.
I have certainly kept it and it had an outing today down to the London meet and workshop for everyone there to see and play if they wanted.

I am enjoying it too much to get rid of, but you would be very welcome to play it if you come near here or maybe at a future workshop.

Rhys

Last edited:
With a key closed to position the pad correctly, how do you lock off the ball joint? Is there a hole in the top of the key cup to access the locking mechanism with an Allen key or such like?
I had this same idea in my head a while back, but failed to imagine how the pad could be locked in place!

Hi David,

There are some pretty clear pictures (but I don't see any really close-up shots) on Leopold Kondratov's website: http://meinsax.de/

Every single pad cup has got a locking screw in the middle, around which everything pivots. It isn't a normal Allen key hexagon shape, but that sort of thing. I haven't loosened off any of screws yet to really understand the mechanism but maybe I will do.

Rhys

Thanks. Yes, I understand how it works now.
Pierret alto... Overhaul... Karma?
Hmmm........
...until I hear the conversion cost!

:w00t:

A really interesting horn indeed. Thanks for letting me try it.

How are the new pad "cups" connected to the original arms? It's difficult to tell from the photos.

How are the new pad "cups" connected to the original arms? It's difficult to tell from the photos.
Every single bit of the keywork is new. There are no "original arms".

Rhys

I have certainly kept it and it had an outing today down to the London meet and workshop for everyone there to see and play if they wanted.

I am enjoying it too much to get rid of, but you would be very welcome to play it if you come near here or maybe at a future workshop.

Rhys
. Thanks very much for getting back I more have a love of saxophones than the ability to play. I have a Rev d the now which sounds fantastic by Matt stoher if you have a look at his web site. It be nice to compare the two with you playing.

. Thanks very much for getting back I more have a love of saxophones than the ability to play. I have a Rev d the now which sounds fantastic by Matt stoher if you have a look at his web site. It be nice to compare the two with you playing.

I would like to compare them. Where is halfway between Alexandria and Farnham ?

How's the tuning on your G2 up to B2 ? Plays about 20-25 cents sharp for me on my one.

Rhys

Rhys

Manchester meet, go on you know you want to :)

And bring your bari I didn't get chance to try it :)

Jx

I have just found that the eBay seller still have extensive pictures of this sax, including lots of close-ups of the mechanism. If you are interested have a look here: http://www.quinntheeskimo.net/HTMLFiles/sml022112a.htm

Rhys

Thanks Rhys. I'm not so sure, looking at the photos, that all the key work is new (clutching at straws!). As these two close-ups show, why bother to make new arms when you have to attach the ball joint mechanism anyway?...

sml022112a61.jpg

sml022112a66.jpg

Was it Leopold who told you it was all new?

I don't know whether some of the keywork (like posts and rods) came from a modern donor horn or from a modern manufacturer, but it isn't from the SML that provided the body.

The cut and rotated main body tube means that lots of the original mechanism just wouldn't fit, let alone work. But Leopold really went to town with wacky ideas and lots of the design features, such as the motion stopping bumpers for the bell keys, are unique and even a bit "Heath Robinson"..

When I showed the horn to Pete Thomas and Steve Howard they were intrigued, but both commented that the maker had the opportunity to make the ergonomics perfect, but had missed that in a few areas, such as the LH pinky keys and the RH F#. I have come round to their way of thinking - it is playable but isn't quite as comfortable as it could have been.

Rhys

This isn't Leopold's work or my SML tenor, but I guess that this Scandinavian tech is doing something similarly ambitious on his Conn New Wonder alto.

There is a whole series of videos on YouTube that make fascinating viewing.

Rhys

Rhys, I also noted your horn is the first he did...

sml022112a59.jpg

I wonder how many he's converted?

Hopefully he'll come back to me tomorrow and I can ask some more questions. My Pierret is a similar vintage, not that it matters. I'm guessing your silence on cost means the original owner who had the work done paid through the nose!

How's the tuning on your G2 up to B2 ? Plays about 20-25 cents sharp for me on my one.

Rhys
Hi Rhys sorry I'm away on business not back till Friday I don't play it to often but it's almost always in tune I'll check on Friday night. We are about 485 miles away Preston looks mileage wise about the middle. Andy

Back
Top Bottom