My new bari PPT sig. on a The Martin bari - Doxy

sdt99

Not my most inspired solo but the PPT - Martin combination plays and sounds great - just like a bari should - hopefully you'll agree from the sound clip. Still having a little trouble pulling the mouthpiece out enough to be in tune - a shank extension may be in the PPT's future.

This from a gig with Caxton swing last Thursday (I'm on bari with a couple of very decent players on alto and tenor). Recorded on a little Tascam DR05 portable recorder, so not exactly hi-res, but good enough.

Dropbox - Doxy.mp3

Last edited:
OP
S

sdt99

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback - you're right Jeanette it's a good advert for the PPT. I had only played the PPT for about an hour in total prior to this gig (coming from a modern link tone edge). It's just so easy to play the PPT over the whole range of the instrument.

It's been one of those rare "Yup, this is the one" mouthpiece purchases.

The one niggle is the tuning. I think if you're considering using a PPT on a vintage bari it would be worth asking about a custom PPT with about an extra 1cm on the shank.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Sounds great!

Yes, you can get a longer shank, but I never found it necessary on vintage Martins, while developing the PPT I was using both a martin handcraft and a The Martin Comm III baritone.

OP
S

sdt99

Thanks Pete, it currently tunes only about 1cm on the neck cork - it's doable, but precarious. I think an extra cm on the shank would make it pretty solid on the Martin while also allowing it to be used with a modern bari if I ever get one. A stock modern link tone edge was about the same until I had the chamber enlarged - I definitely don't want to mess with the interior design of the PPT so I think a shank extension would be the least risky way to go.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
Thanks Pete, it currently tunes only about 1cm on the neck cork - it's doable, but precarious. I think an extra cm on the shank would make it pretty solid on the Martin while also allowing it to be used with a modern bari if I ever get one.
The problem for me is that for me that would be too long. However we are happy to do custom orders.

thomsax

Yes, you can get a longer shank, but I never found it necessary on vintage Martins, while developing the PPT I was using both a martin handcraft and a The Martin Comm III baritone.
I think the necks on your Martin HC and "The Martin Baritone" is/was almost the same. The HC was/is a Committee model ?

Last edited by a moderator:
SYOS
Top Bottom