All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs My name is Randy and I'm a GASoholic

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
This was as close as I could come. Would it serve the purpose? I may need to find the Logic tutorial on EQ.
Ideally, if you could match or approximate the hi cutoff curve to your results on your hearing test posted earlier. Then, two questions: (1) Can you tell any difference? (2) Can anyone else?

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
This video is only 3.5 minutes long but quickly illustrates how the sax sound is much brighter when the highs are boosted with EQ. When you listen to this video does your hearing allow you to get a sense of how your hearing loss might affect your appreciation of the brightness?

You could do similar process at different frequencies in your DAW to get a sense of how your hearing loss might be affecting what you are able to hear in your own sound. You might want to create two EQ profiles: one for you that boosts the high frequencies to allow you to hear approximately what normal hearing people hear and a second EQ profile to use in mixes distributed to normal hearing people.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxZQWbm0Df8

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I need to digress a little, because I think this is getting too nerdy for me. I was definitely interested in the opinions about the two mouthpieces.
For years, I listened to Coltrane and Sonny Rollins albums, among many greats, on a mono Sony Walkman cassette player. I had some bootleg Trane's recordings that were later released as "Live in Paris", which sounded fine. The tapes I had were such low quality that the applause sounded like a phaser or flanger was used to record it. Trane's opening note of Naima sounded like that, too. It was like listening over the phone! I heard all the beauty of the playing, as long as I could hear the instruments. In that I've listened over the years to any music on crap sound reproduction, never owned any decent equipment, I suppose I am an edge case. But the point is, I'm not obsessed with sound as long as it is playing "my voice". It isn't yet, but I think it will be someday. What matters to me (for the Nth time) is how comfortable it is blowing on that thing and the control of volume and intonation it brings. If I have a crappy sound, it'll be due to my playing, bad habits, maybe ear for intonation and sensitivity. Otherwise, it is what it is.
This JJ definitely requires more air and it's a challenge to play the notes above side E. Unlike the other piece, the alternate fingerings for E and F are hard to hit. It must be the tip opening and I must get used to it. Even altissimo A, the easiest note to hit up there isn't stable. Lots of work to do!

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
To my ear the JJ is noticeably brighter. You may not notice that due to your hearing loss. I'm sorry if you thought I was getting nerdy. I was only trying to help you find a method such that you could appreciate your sound as if your hearing was normal.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
Then again, we see (and presumably hear) Charlie Parker on a number of different mouthpieces (most often Brilhart)
I read that the white mouthpiece that he's seen playing in some pictures is not a Brilhard Tonalin but a King. :confused2:

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
To my ear the JJ is noticeably brighter. You may not notice that due to your hearing loss. I'm sorry if you thought I was getting nerdy. I was only trying to help you find a method such that you could appreciate your sound as if your hearing was normal.
There's nothing wrong with being nerdy!

My first Syos was "darker" by design. The second one is "brighter" by design. I think in his latest video about FF pieces, Better Sax says this HR is on the darker side, but I can't remember if that's the word he used, or was it mellow?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjZZknFrGxo

Last edited:
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
@CliveMA you just gave me an idea, though. What if I boosted the the frequencies above 2k that fall off in my hearing, and listened. That might be interesting.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
That's exactly what I suggested in my earlier post!
I thought you were saying I should attenuate them, record it and post them for others, which made little sense to me. Sorry if I misread. In boosting the frequencies, it's just for me to hear, not to post for anyone else.

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I thought you were saying I should attenuate them, record it and post them for others, which made little sense to me. Sorry if I misread. In boosting the frequencies, it's just for me to hear, not to post for anyone else.
I said both.

The point of posting both attenuation and no eq for others with normal hearing is to find out if there is a hearable difference.

The point of boosting for you is to simulate what others are hearing.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Know that it's very approximate with these curves, but I hear very little difference, if any. When I boost the highs, they both sound "trebly" and bright. But I don't hear much difference, if any. Yet another element would be listening in a piece of music, rather than naked with no EQ. I notice is his recent lessons, Eric Marienthal has added a little reverb when playing solo. That says to me that he recognizes that we're used to hearing music with a little reverb when it's recorded or played live. A little reverb and a little EQ make a big difference in the sound when that sound is a part of something greater. I think this is interesting from the geeky, nerdy standpoint, but really what we want is for the whole thing to sound good.

I will be recording some of tracks with the JJ and comparing the existing ones with the new ones in situ. I think that will be more interesting.

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Better Sax says this HR is on the darker side
All are too "bright" to my ears but then it is a rare non-classical alto that I like.

Q. What do you call a "dark" alto mouthpiece?
A. A Tenor mouthpiece! :sax::w00t:;)

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I think the best way to handle this is to play only in old folks homes and retirement communities!

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
That is what I hoped. That should give you confidence to trust your current hearing.
WHat I meant was that having boosted the highs, they were both a lot brighter but did not sound so different to me. Because of the difference in air required, it may be my actual playing approach that sounds different.
Theoretically, your age-related hearing loss should only be affecting the colour of notes (strength of overtones).
That's certainly true. I can hear all the notes from the lowest to the highest, and altissimo is usually loud anyway.

Last edited:

Pete Effamy

Locality
Hampshire
He said it all, for me, in the first few moments of speaking: technique is learning how to play what the music calls for with some elegance, and learning how to play melodies.
Sometimes this does involve fast notes, but mostly it won’t. Building that Library of knowledge is a long process and involves putting your own ego to one side in favour of the music itself.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Ok, so, here it is. A couple of days practice (not nearly enough) on this Eric M tune.
I'm putting here because it clearly shows that I don't quite have enough air yet for the mouthpiece, but I think it sounds pretty good when I actually am able to play the notes. There are a few very bad notes (not wrong, tho, just not sounding) and a laugh at the end. The new piece has a very different feel on altissimo.

Replaced version, another day, July 22.
View: https://youtu.be/BvrMiOJvi0M

Last edited:

Mark Hancock

Subscriber
Locality
Zurich
Ok, so, here it is. A couple of days practice (not nearly enough) on this Eric M tune.
I'm putting here because it clearly shows that I don't quite have enough air yet for the mouthpiece, but I think it sounds pretty good when I actually am able to play the notes. There are a few very bad notes (not wrong, tho, just not sounding) and a laugh at the end. The new piece has a very different feel on altissimo.
View: https://youtu.be/A4163sP0SfA
It sounds great Randy, but honestly not much different to your regular mouthpiece/sound. I always think that comfort and playability trumps any small changes in tone.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

• Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sini Sax
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6