All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs My name is Randy and I'm a GASoholic

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I ordered another mouthpiece. Where is my sponsor? Why didn't anyone reach out and stop me? Oh, well, I'll let you know Monday if I still have a roof over my head.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I just realized that this could be taken as mockery of recovering alcoholics. I meant no disrespect. It's an age-old formula. GAS is a joke, we're supposed to be adults. If anyone thinks it should be deleted, I'm fine with that.

CliveMA

Locality
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
ordered another mouthpiece.
:eek:
I'm here to help. Sit down and take a deep breath.

What mouthpiece did you order?
New or second-hand?
What sound difference will your new mpc make?
What are the technical characteristics eg baffle, chamber size etc?
Do you have any photos?
Most importantly, is your new piece pretty?
:popcorn:

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
All will be revealed Monday!

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
Lavaholic -
I just bought 80 kilos of Volcanic rocks.
I'll be okay as long as it rocks.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I've been playing my widest tip opening (1,85) and wondering what happens next if I go to a 6. Last time I did this it ended, if not in tears, in refacing :)
But what I find new is that having played with the wider tip for a few days, it's harder to play on the smaller opening (1,70) now, with most reeds. That's the one I've practiced on for months at a time.

Last edited:

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Locality
KIC 8462852
Gasaholic - American for Petrolhead.

jbtsax

Subscriber
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
Step one says "I'm powerless over buying saxophone stuff and my wife is unmanageable."
(or maybe that's "life is unmanageable") ;)

Pete Effamy

Locality
Hampshire
I just realized that this could be taken as mockery of recovering alcoholics. I meant no disrespect. It's an age-old formula. GAS is a joke, we're supposed to be adults. If anyone thinks it should be deleted, I'm fine with that.
Just file under household goods and you'll live...

MarkSax

Locality
UK
I’m having a GAS just reading the posts above. Is there a mpc that makes a laughing sound?

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
I’m having a GAS just reading the posts above. Is there a mpc that makes a laughing sound?
They all can if you're good enough on embouchure! I can do the Donald Duck laugh, it works wonders on crying kids in public transit.

Last edited:
OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
While we were out this morning, UPS tried to deliver the mpc, which was scheduled for Monday 8:30 to 10:30 AM.
I am waiting now for them to leave it at the UPS relay point, not too far from here, either near the end of today or tomorrow.

The suspense is killing me. I put a 3 reed on my other two mouthpieces just to see how that was, and I remember already saying that it feels much more stable (pitch and volume) than the 2 1/2 or 2. So, with any luck, tonight all may be revealed.

Funny thing, automatic systems on the Internet have failed several times in the past few days:

1. Last night, we went to pick up a takeout order and upon arrival learned that the restaurant didn't receive it! Fortunately, I had the confirmation and the proof of payment with me.

2. We ordered a laptop three days ago. The confirmation said to wait for the email and SMS to inform of its arrival. No news, so I emailed them. I got back a reply saying "I'm out of the office until July 19th." Holy... fortunately, there was a "urgent" email. The person answered quickly confirming that the laptop had been there since noon the day before.

3. UPS, same deal, no notification working.

The world is going down slow, and of course every company will say they're working with reduced staff, we get that, but why the notification fail three times in two days?

guidocreo

Locality
anzio - Italy

The suspense is killing me. I put a 3 reed on my other two mouthpieces just to see how that was, and I remember already saying that it feels much more stable (pitch and volume) than the 2 1/2 or 2. So, with any luck, tonight all may be revealed.
Randy, in my opinion the real challenge is play stable on volume and pitch with soft reed.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Randy, in my opinion the real challenge is play stable on volume and pitch with soft reed.
Of course, that is the true goal. In fact, the ultimate is to play with control regardless of mouthpiece and reed (within reason). Some day!

sax panther

Subscriber
Locality
UK
All this build up and suspense...it had better be something expensive.
I don't want to log on here on Monday and find out you've just got a Rico graftonite.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
Locality
France
Not expensive! Jody Jazz most popular, the HR. I'm waiting to spend some time on it before I comment, but it felt and sounded good in a brief trial.

StefSax

Locality
Canada
Funny thread! :) I feel part of the family. I've been using JodyJazz DV 7 on Alto and JodyJazz CHI 7* on Tenor (really, I bought these because they were the only sizes I could try from local stores). Even playing for 8 years (1.5 year or so on those mouthpieces), I am suffering a lot from rapid embouchure fatigue.

So I said "It's enough! I gotta try other sizes!". So excited that I received this package on Monday (from UPS too), and started testing. They are JodyJazz DV 6 for Alto and DV 7 & 6 for tenor. I also expect, with DV over DV CHI on Tenor, to much more easily reach Altissimo (as I do on Alto with the DV). May see tonight! :)

Attachments

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6