support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Strings My most recent gas attack...

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in Cumbria
Café Supporter
I have recently bought a C19th German cello...

upload_2014-4-11_20-38-11.jpeg

Hi guys
Sorry for slow reply - I've been down Halesowen way today...

It's made by a German maker called Kreul based in Markneukirchen - the 5th generation of the family is still making instruments. It was probably made around 1890/1900.

It's not quite as pristine as you may think - the back is very good, with good 'flame'. An instrument tech friend of mine has looked at it and glued some minor seam gaps (very common on older instruments - just some hide glue and clamps). The bridge needed the stirngs re-positioning as the grooves were too deep. The action on the C stirng is a little low, so I think it's going to need a new bridge anyway and new strings. It has had a couple of fine tuners added to the tailpiece and I replaced the C string.

The upper sound from the A and D strings is quite 'sweet'. The sound from the G feels a little 'closed' at the moment. I think new bridge plus new strings, but need ot think carefully about that as something like a set of Larsen string will cost over £200 and there is no 'try before you buy' option anywhere on strings... The good news is that it does not seem to have a wolf.

Overall, I think it's going to be good. I'll try to record something shortly...

You can get electric cellos, and you can buy pick-ups that clip on to the bridge...

Some of the old German cellos are really really good. There's a warmth and depth/complexity in the sound that seems to be missing from many instruments today, but they don't sacrifice power. Markneukirchen has a good reputation, maybe not so much in today's products, but so much depends on the maker. Nowadays the best German makers are mostly in/around Mittenwald. If G is closed, you'll probably find it opening up as you play it, but good strings are an excellent idea - as is bridge/soundpost tweaking.

Lots of good saxes came from around there!

The good news is that it does not seem to have a wolf.

That`s fantastic news , though they`re more common in Basses as they`re bigger, you`re more likely to get a yorkshire terrier in a Cello unless the Wolf is a Cub .. Wolves don`t eat Dog food unless its in the dog they`ve been gnawing on ..

Seriously, what does this mean "got a wolf" ? . is it like a sting vibration related growl

A 'wolf note' is a common problem with cellos, it's an unpleasant resonance which makes the note stick out from the rest. It's usually found around E/F either on the C stirng, or the octave above. If you have got one, you hope it's 'between the notes'. There are all sorts of 'wolf suppressors' usually some form of weight that is attached to the string below the bridge, or around the F-hole to try to tame it.

Not all instrument have a wolf, and it's not always too noticable