support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

My mk6 tenor G# key Problem

Saxade

Locality
Tasmania
I am re introducing my self more to my Mk6 tenor.... I have spent most of the last two years playing Alto ( and really enjoying it) with no issues playing over the whole range...
I love the sound the Mk6 gives ... but where I want it most is in the low range below D ... and that's where I am having some issues.. My tech has set up the tenor as well as he thinks he can & I agree with him .. but the G# key has been altered. The Tech has had to make ajustments around the G# key because the ajustment for G# and the bis key do not align. I am looking for some one to tell me which part is foriegn.. because it was not like this in it's original condition (I have had it since 1967) It had some repairs 30yrs ago when it got knocked off stage and that is the time this must have happened as that was the time the band finished... Anyway I have attached some pics if anyone could advise, it would be much appreciated

Adrian TenorG#Key1.jpg TenorG#Key2.jpg TenorG#Key3.jpg

What i might not have explained is both the G# and Bis Key adjustments are over the G# pad and the Tech has added a cork on the bar to compensate...

Exactly... So what has happened here... It is not a manipulated adjustment... i don't think but a replacement of some sort ???

I've just checked your pictures against my sax and I think that the bar with the screws should be soldered to the pad cup and positioned to line the first screw up with the arm. It looks as if it's all still there.

Jim.

Hi Adrian,

The configuration looks to be the same as my Yamaha, I've taken a photo so show how the parts line up:

View attachment 1507

I wonder if you can guestimate/measure distance A and B, as there might be a similarity between saxes, I can measure my Yamaha's and see if this part would fit.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Ade,
Here is mine...
It looks like the small rod spanning the Bis arm and g sharp cup is not correct on your horn.
Just wondering whether you have the alto version or simply from another horn all together???

g sharp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can disregard my earlier post as that relates to an older MkV1. I have now compared your's with one the same and Saxlicker's too.
The height of the action in Saxlicker's picture shows how your's should look. I've had a look at a MK6 alto and that is a little bit different still. On the alto the supporting arm sits above the F cup and not to the side as seen in Saxlicker's picture. Perhaps that is the lay out your sax should have. Just like the layout in Chris98's photos in fact.

If your look at any of your pictures and imagine the action trued up and shifted to the right to line up the adjustment screw with it's arm, you'll get the idea. I did wonder why there was no sign of a broken solder joint in your pics. I hope you get it fixed soon.

Jim.

Exactly... So what has happened here... It is not a manipulated adjustment... i don't think but a replacement of some sort ???

It looks to me like the arm with the two regulating screws is not the correct part for this sax. you should be able to get a replacement - whilst it not may be a selmer Mk 6 part it should do the trick.

stop press............ Ive just checked my SA80 series II tenor and the regulation bar from these horns should work on your tenor.

If you have snags getting one, let me know-I've got one that should fit - it's your for a small donation to Pete's charity + postage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the one shown in the photo is not the original F#/G# adjustment arm for the Mark VI. Allied Supply has one listed in their catalog for a Mark VII tenor. One could call and ask them if it fits the Mark VI as well. If a replacement part is not available, the photo below shows a technical "fix" that would be relatively simple for a professional tech to knock out in a short period of time.

TenorGKey3.jpg

It looks to me like the arm with the two regulating screws is not the correct part for this sax. you should be able to get a replacement - whilst it not may be a selmer Mk 6 part it should do the trick.

stop press............ Ive just checked my SA80 series II tenor and the regulation bar from these horns should work on your tenor.

If you have snags getting one, let me know-I've got one that should fit - it's your for a small donation to Pete's charity + postage.

Thanks everyone... You have cleared it up for me :thumb: ... I was thinking it might be the "arm" holding the bar, that might be the problem... but I realize now it is the incorrect bar.
Saxlicker's Pic shows the correct bar... confirmed by kevgermany's picture.

@Griff I would like to take up on your offer....

Thanks again everyone

Thanks everyone... You have cleared it up for me :thumb: ... I was thinking it might be the "arm" holding the bar, that might be the problem... but I realize now it is the incorrect bar.
Saxlicker's Pic shows the correct bar... confirmed by kevgermany's picture.

@Griff I would like to take up on your offer....

Thanks again everyone

PM me your address and I'll get one in the post for you!

Just a Quick update ... the part arrived today... :thumb:Thanks Griff
It looked as if it was going to be perfect ...but the gap in the bar it was to fit into was too narrow.
So I have taken it to my Tech and he is going to file it out ...then it should be perfect... I will let you know.

Just a Quick update ... the part arrived today... :thumb:Thanks Griff
It looked as if it was going to be perfect ...but the gap in the bar it was to fit into was too narrow.
So I have taken it to my Tech and he is going to file it out ...then it should be perfect... I will let you know.

Adrian,

Glad it arrived safely. When you get it to your tech, get him to file the sides on the circular end of the part I sent you(where the retaining screw fits in) as opposed to filing the gap for it on the arm. That way if you do find an original or replacement Selmer part, it should fit straight in there.

regards
Griff

Excellent suggestion Griff.

g#New.jpgg#New2.jpg

All fixed... He now has adjusted the G# with a little more tension ( on the lift )than he could not do before so I am not getting continuous sticking G#
Thanks everybody :welldone and Thanks again Griff for finding and sending me the part...

The thing that surprises me is what numpty put that part on in the first place and didn't know it was wrong