support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

My latest saxophone cover

David I've moved your video to the 'sound clip' forum.

Chris..

Similar comments to "Tupac Changes". You can play well, but seem to be playing with very limited range. Good feeling for this type of stuff (from what little I've listened to). If you're only able to produce a consistent tone for an octave then either the set-up or something needs changing. Tone is fuzzy/muddy with little/no core. Maybe this is the sound you want?

Best wishes.

I had to google shola. Check out Randy Crawford and The Crusaders. take a drink from the source.

Here's a link to an alto player that greatly influenced me when I was starting out.

Similar style to what I think you're aiming for. I may be wrong.

http://youtu.be/yyBF7Rs4MZg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to google shola. Check out Randy Crawford and The Crusaders. take a drink from the source.

Here's a link to an alto player that greatly influenced me when I was starting out.

Similar style to what I think you're aiming for. I may be wrong.

http://youtu.be/yyBF7Rs4MZg

Yep, that's good tone and has that "sweetness" that I think this style requires.

It also sounds like its been recorded in a studio, and not with a 75pound mic from Ebay and very basic recoding software. Just saying....

+1 for Wades comments, and there are players who post using much cheaper mics than 75 pounds, and get good clear recordings. So probably better to listen to all the comments, than to make an excuse about your rec.equip. Most comments are to help not hinder:)

It also sounds like its been recorded in a studio, and not with a 75pound mic from Ebay and very basic recoding software. Just saying....

lol Well I thought it was very good - and definitely better than I can do for whatever that's worth. Great song too, not heard that for ages. I ought to dig out my old Crusader albums and get them transferred to mp3. I'm generally pretty much not a fan of alto tone but actually liked yours (but as a I'm a relative beginner you probably should ignore that)

PS. When you have been around the forum for a bit longer, you will get to know the members who know what they are talking about and some that just like the sound of their own voice. I always judge comments good or bad, depending on who is saying them, and i recommend you listen to Wade and Colin, because they do know a thing or two.

Very enjoyable David and well done. Take in all comments and form your own opinion on advice!

Yes it's a professional album released in the late 1970's or early 80's

I can only dream of a £75 mic at the moment. The one I'm using is a £20 er from maplins which is an upgrade from the £1.50 Skype mic I was using clipped in the bell with a clothes peg.

You might get better results sound wise with the mic on a stand and a little further away from the bell.

Have a look in at Ballad of the month. Your take would be refreshing and most welcome.

If you only want compliments and not constructive criticism then probably not a good idea to say "any feedback welcome". Some of us take time to listen and offer our thoughts. Hopefully these thoughts aren't stepping on toes of a player who has a distinct idea of the sound and style they are aiming for. In my case the comments were aimed at (what sounds like) an advanced player who is competent.

Your recording set up has nothing to do with using a very limited range on your horn, and what sounds like volume/support falling off when playing lower notes. The microphone can muffle and distort tone slightly, but as Colin and others (who have used extremely basic gear) know, not that much. Once again I don't know what you're aiming for, but your tone is muddy/fuzzy. Embrace it, or change it, no matter to me, but it ain't the microphone.

Your posts are more than welcome, especially since there are few who post in the smooth jazz style and can be an example to some of the less accomplished players who aspire to play in that style. If just sharing I'd suggest a tag to your post like : "hope you enjoy" instead of "any feedback welcome". This site encourages those who wish to grow/improve to come forward and share their efforts in a safe environment where we are all (hopefully) growing with the assistance of others.

+1 to what Wade says in that this is an open honest opinioned and supporting place, welcome aboard David, will be good for you to look at the ballad of the month (BOTM) as it will help expand your playing and improvisation, feel and technique idea's..
trust me when i say this from my own findings over the years, playing a ballad will also help you play faster pieces and help with solo idea's for funkier styles...maybe see you next in ballad of the month, if you need a backing track and music just ask, 1 of us here will gladly provide you a copy fella!
Ian T

I appreciate all your comments and will definitely take them on board, colin, great shout with the idea of a mic on a stand instead of being clipped onto the bell, ill give that a go. Wade, a guy that likes to talk, thanks for your feedback too, I look forward to hearing a track or two of yours soon :) maybe then I can give you a little feedback ;-) catch u all soon. X

I look forward to hearing a track or two of yours soon :) maybe then I can give you a little feedback ;-) catch u all soon. X

You don't have to wait. Just look. Probably around 50 tracks on two web sites with maybe 25 referenced on this site in this post area. I always welcome comments and have found them very useful.

As far as we know, Music as an art form exists nowhere in the universe apart from in the thin band of atmosphere around a small rock, orbiting a minor star, at the end of an arm of a minor galaxy, which itself is merely one of miriads. In geological time, it has been present for only a moment. The communication and perception of this art form is not tangible and exists only in a small part of the human cognitive organ. I believe it to have evolved from the communal, territorial howlings of our far distant ancestors and on its journey from these territorial displays to its present ethereal state, its generation has moved from testosterone producing areas to the serotonin.

As far as we know, Music as an art form exists nowhere in the universe apart from in the thin band of atmosphere around a small rock, orbiting a minor star, at the end of an arm of a minor galaxy, which itself is merely one of miriads. In geological time, it has been present for only a moment. The communication and perception of this art form is not tangible and exists only in a small part of the human cognitive organ. I believe it to have evolved from the communal, territorial howlings of our far distant ancestors and on its journey from these territorial displays to its present ethereal state, its generation has moved from testosterone producing areas to the serotonin.
Colin, You been watching WAAAAY too much hitch hikers guide to the galaxy :)))

Back
Top Bottom