support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories My ideas for a DIY baritone sax case

sidenius

Locality
Aarhus, Denmark
I've been doing some innovative thinking regarding a DIY baritone sax case and therefore I would be glad to have some inputs/comments/advice on some of my ideas.
The concepts is as follows:

I'm gonna
  • buy a Thon Case for keyboard (the cheap ready made flight cases from Thomann)
  • mix granulated foam rubber with latex fluid (rubber milk)
  • wrap the sax in clingfilm
  • build up a fundament for the bari in the buttom of the case using solid foam rubber
  • fill up the buttom part of the Thon flight case with a mixture of granulated foam rubber and latex fluid
  • press the wrapped bari down into the mixture and leave it there for the foam rubber/latex mixture to harden
  • put some solid foam rubber in the lid of the flight case
From there I still have some considerations concerning whether I will have to do some lining of the foam rubber/latex (I don't know yet how sticky this foam rubber/latex mixture will turn out when hardened)

If my ideas can be carried through I expect to end up with a solid baritone case costing me around £100

Anyone with expeirence specially regarding the granulated foam rubber/latex fluid mixture?

Bertil

Ummm....why not buy a Bari case and avoid the risk of damaging yours while wrapping it in cling film and pouring liquid rubber around it?

Will a keyboard case be deep enough?

Will you need to mould the inside of the lid around the Bari too?

My Jacob Winter case is moulded both upper and lower sections (lid and base)

How much is your Bari worth, and doesn't it deserve a "proper" Bari case?

If the object of the exercise is a learning experience, that's one thing; If the object of the exercise is to project your sax, then I would buy a professionally made case.

But that's just my opinion....;)

In answer to your question...No, I have no experience of the granulated foam rubber mixture :oops:

I think you're going to find this ends up being too heavy. There've been a few posts with similar ideas. There the builder has used expanding spray foam to do the job. I did see a web site with this demonstrated, I'll see if I can find it.

I think you're going to find this ends up being too heavy. There've been a few posts with similar ideas. There the builder has used expanding spray foam to do the job. I did see a web site with this demonstrated, I'll see if I can find it.

You could be right, though it's only 2 kilos heavier than a BAM case (6,2 vs 8,2 kilos)
Here it is: http://www.thomann.de/dk/thon_keybardcase_f_korg_pa_3x_61_h.htm
I've been reading about the expanding foam solution earlier, but the problem with expanding foam is that it's not form stable. If you press it, it will not return to it's original form again.
Apart from that my reason for considering the granulated foam rubber/latex fluid solution was to increase the cushioning effect

You may want to look into something like this that would be much more convenient and less potentially messy.

Instapack quick

I've been doing some innovative thinking regarding a DIY baritone sax case and therefore I would be glad to have some inputs/comments/advice on some of my ideas.
The concepts is as follows:

I'm gonna
  • buy a Thon Case for keyboard (the cheap ready made flight cases from Thomann)
  • mix granulated foam rubber with latex fluid (rubber milk)
  • wrap the sax in clingfilm
  • build up a fundament for the bari in the buttom of the case using solid foam rubber
  • fill up the buttom part of the Thon flight case with a mixture of granulated foam rubber and latex fluid
  • press the wrapped bari down into the mixture and leave it there for the foam rubber/latex mixture to harden
  • put some solid foam rubber in the lid of the flight case
From there I still have some considerations concerning whether I will have to do some lining of the foam rubber/latex (I don't know yet how sticky this foam rubber/latex mixture will turn out when hardened)

If my ideas can be carried through I expect to end up with a solid baritone case costing me around £100

Anyone with expeirence specially regarding the granulated foam rubber/latex fluid mixture?

Bertil
Can you post some photos as the "build" progresses please? I'm fascinated with this project

I am quite sure that, in the end, it will be a very heavy result. Of course ,. most probably, you will find this out only after having made it. I’ve seen a couple of home made cases and they were always clumsy and heavy.

In my experience nothing beats a Protec contour especially when we consider protection inside and outside.

The most lightweight case that I’ve ever had was the Berkeley of London but being a thin lightweight case the amount of protection is rather limited.

you may have to wrap a few layers of cling film around your sax and spray in down with a releasing agent to stop the rubber sticking. The foam rubber base-layer should be dense enough and not too wobbly to stop the horn bouncing around inside the case.
As has been said, a keyboard case may be a bit heavy, but there again I've seen touring bari players with wheeled aluminium flight cases - not sure if wheels would just result in more jolts and vibration that might cause problems with the sax mechanism.
It all depends how far you have to carry the thing as to whether weight is an issue - guitarists carry amps that are heavier, keyboardists carry organs and electric pianos, drum kits ain't much fun to cart around, so relative to other instruments your home made case may not be too bad

so - my DIY Bari-Case-project ended rather predictable, I'm sad to say!
Did some experiments on mixtures of granulated foam rubber and latex fluid.
Actually I was positively surprised by the results though it took a hell of a time to harden!
But - taken into consideration that the case would end up on the heavy side and that I had a time to figure out a aesthetic satisfying finish on the interior parts (the formed mixture of granulated foam rubber and latex fluid), I gave up and ordered a Bags hard case :-(
I would hate myself for spending a considerable amount of money ending up with a DIY case that looked like DIY!
I my opinion it's only fun to things yourself if you can make it look PRO

Bertil

If the horn is cheap, buy a cheap case. If you are not a very good player, no one will look anyway.

Very industrious!

Alternatively, I have the original box case from my Yanagisawa (from the 80s, battered, heavy, needs some new padding, but totally functional) which you can have for the cost of shipping!

Hullo, just to say if anyone's browsing here - the offer of an old Yanagisawa case for free is still open. I'd pop it on the Yard Sale, but apparently I've not posted enough here to do that. Anyway, hoping that I can just slap a postage label and some tape on it rather than having to pack up the thing, I am happy to give it away for the cost of postage (from UK)...

2017-01-07 14.30.03.jpg 2017-01-07 14.30.14.jpg

I can't imagine anything more generous than the offer by Stalkpiece. Well done, young man. My old horns are not quite the quality of the one in the Smithsonian that belonged to Gerry Mulligan, but one of my orphans needs a place to snuggle. But as I am in the snowy high-plains of New Mexico in the USA I fear the cost of transport would exceed the cost of a new case. But to someone near to your location should jump on your offer with thanks. And welcome to the Cafe'.

Hullo, just to say if anyone's browsing here - the offer of an old Yanagisawa case for free is still open. I'd pop it on the Yard Sale, but apparently I've not posted enough here to do that. Anyway, hoping that I can just slap a postage label and some tape on it rather than having to pack up the thing, I am happy to give it away for the cost of postage (from UK)...

View attachment 8356 View attachment 8357
I'll give you permission to list it in the yardsale but you might want to consider asking for a small donation to the cafe in return for it? ;)

Jx