supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

My guitar is glaring at my new Sax.

Glen.

Hi all,

I'm a new Sax owner and Saxophonist, this forum and Pete's website have been very useful to me while choosing a beginner Sax and picking up some techniques and finding a tone that's vaguely reminiscent of a Saxophone!

I'm a professional guitarist and so naturally that means I can't read music and I have nothing in the way of theory knowledge. :rofl:

Seriously though, I can read enough to get by, especially when I only have to think about one note at a time but I tend to get the gist of it from sheet music and play the rest by ear, referring back to the score if I get stuck.

My 10 year old daughter was given a loaner sax to learn on by her school and I immediately fell in love with it, although it's well worn, it seems to work fine but the bug bit and I had to get in on the act!

After reading lots of reviews and not having a ton of money to invest in a hobby (for now, who knows?) I was well in the 'cheap chinese' sax market. I wanted to get a Jericho from Academy but they are out of stock with no specific date on when new ones are in and if I'm anything, it's impatient, so I opted for a reasonably well reviewed alternative, the Gear 4 Music Alto, with a black finish (which is less black than I expected, yet still pretty!).

My Daughters loaner Jupiter 500 series has much heavier springs on the keys and sounds a bit mellower than the G4M, also weighs a good bit more, but intonation seems good enough on both that I can play in tune most of the time on either.

I've never really been into Jazz much but always fancied a Sax because I always called it the 'lead guitar of the wind family', so here I am, completely clueless, playing tunes I can remember off the top of my head with no real direction but having a jolly good time. I think my goal with the Sax would be that I think it would be a great busking instrument and so I suppose I'd like to build some repertoire and chops to go with it to do a bit of busking.

My guitar is not particularly happy because she's barely been picked up, I had to sit and review some repertoire on her today thanks to my sudden Sax obsession!

Anyway, I shall end my ramble and say thank you to everyone who's posts have helped me out over the last few weeks and I hope I can learn enough to help others out in the future!

G.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome Glen we have a few sax buskers here so I'm sure they will give you any tips

Have fun and just glare back at the guitar :)

Jx

OP
Glen.

Glen.

Thanks for the welcomes, I paired the G4M with the recommended Yamaha 4C mpc and some RICO 1 1/2 reeds which I'm really glad I did because the included mpc and reed were hopeless!

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Welcome to the cafe. Your guitar will just have to get used to sharing your attention.

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Subscriber
My guitars are threatening to put themselves on Ebay. The sax is seductive and addictive. Run for the hills now!

Guitar is for evening playing when the sax would be too loud.

Welcome from Ilkley.

ac30kev

Too old for a six-pack, it's now a sax-pack
Welcome from a fellow sax beginner (but seasoned guitar/bass player).
Fun, isn't it.
This place is wonderful, full of helpful, friendly people and good, if sometimes conflicting and even contradictory but well-meant advice.
Pete's stuff is, however, beyond reproach and is an excellent step in the right direction. I'd never have acquired a saxophone if it wasn't for Mr Thomas (now you know who to blame...)

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Hi all,

I can read enough to get by, especially when I only have to think about one note at a time ..
My guitar is not particularly happy because she's barely been picked up, I had to sit and review some repertoire on her today thanks to my sudden Sax obsession!
G.
Hi Glen and welcome to the cafe!

One of the joys (and limitations) of wind/brass instruments is playing only one note at a time. I'm nowhere near your league as a guitarist but I can empathise,. Since picking up sax some 15 years ago, my guitars have looked very negelected. It's the summer break for the Big Bands I play sax in and I'm taking the opportunity to polish some of the rust off my (very amateur) guitar playing!

Mike

Weasel

Hi Glen and welcome to the cafe!

One of the joys (and limitations) of wind/brass instruments is playing only one note at a time. I'm nowhere near your league as a guitarist but I can empathise,. Since picking up sax some 15 years ago, my guitars have looked very negelected. It's the summer break for the Big Bands I play sax in and I'm taking the opportunity to polish some of the rust off my (very amateur) guitar playing!

Mike
I know what you mean - I am supposed to be an oboist but am just about to buy my very first sax. I was given a ukulele by my son for my birthday and had some lessons - realised that with my singing voice strumming along with myself was a BAD idea, so have been treating it like a wind instrument and play oboe music on it! My son (cello/bass) finds this hilarious but I reckon Cimarosa sounds pretty epic on the uke!

Alice

Psychedelic
Subscriber
Glen joined on July 13th 2016 and was last seen a week later... Since the saxophone started out by just glaring at his guitar I’m fearing that a whole set of “Chucky” like events have unfolded since.

Top Bottom