support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Miscellaneous My first unboxing video of the Xaphoon: Eduan Steenkamp, South-Africa

So...when you have learned the Zaffoon....you have learned the zaffoon. I can't see the point. Unique fingering system, limited range. Nope. Can't see the point.

Hi there Colin the Bear, thank you for your comment.

It is actually called the Xaphoon, anyway...the whole point of learning a new system, unique fingering and limited range is the portability, the sound (timbre) and because I can and I have the free time to do so... Music is not limited to one instrument.. Some people see it as a hobby, others see it as a lifestyle. So if you can learn it why not? Life Long Learning is my moto and I like to apply it to my instruments. That is what keeps me outside of my comfort zone, and you can only excel outside of your comfort zone. But like they say...that is only my opinion.

Does there have to be a point, a sense of achievement, the fun of trying something new, in a different culture the opportunities to play may be more than here.....:)

Jx

Exactly. :) I like your signature "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

Getting back to your comment; Yes, I believe that there has to be a point and a sense of achievement comes with practice and the fun of trying something new will never stop to amaze me.

If I misunderstood the reply then I apologize, English is my second language.

Anyway, I am still enjoying the forum and shared it on my website with my friends and family.

Kind Regards

Eduan Steenkamp

Some instruments are a hobby for me like congas. And I have a tenor recorder it is a hobby. A instrument I do not have to take seriously. But some people just love those kind of instruments. Holy tubes Batman. They are not easy to play half holes and all that.

I can relate to that. :) I enjoy playing recorder as well and I am planning on getting a penny whistle...I really want to play a lick from "Special Star" a song from an South-African band Mango Groove.

There is also a very nice saxophone solo in this song. Have a listen, I am sure most people will enjoy it. :D
That brings back some memories! I met their original clarinetist at a party once.

I play Banjo, Guitar, mandolin, mandola and bazuki. Alto, tenor, baritone, and soprano saxes. Bb soprano clarinet. Recorders in various sizes, jews harp. I play chanter and penny whistle, have a room full of various drums and percussion instruments. I also sing.....and still can't see the point of a zaffoon.

It has been said the range is limited. coming from a guitar and keyboard the sax has a verry limited range I am learning it because I like the tone. He can buy the instrument in Bb and Eb to expand his range which is what those holy tube players do.

I play Banjo, Guitar, mandolin, mandola and bazuki. Alto, tenor, baritone, and soprano saxes. Bb soprano clarinet. Recorders in various sizes, jews harp. I play chanter and penny whistle, have a room full of various drums and percussion instruments. I also sing.....and still can't see the point of a zaffoon.

Thank you for your reply.

That is what makes life interesting. Different opinions and different tastes...How boring would it be if everyone had the same taste in music and opinions.

Well done in your achievements and learning all those instruments. I am sure they bring you much joy and satisfaction in your life.

Kinds regards

Eduan Steenkamp

It all depends where we are on our musical journey. Personally, I am a newish saxophone player with a huge amount to learn, and fooling around with yet another instrument is the last thing I should do right now. For an accomplished player looking for a new challenge it makes sense.

If I wasn't so busy trying to make some progress with that temperamental thing called a saxophone, I would probably try the zaffoon too! ;)

It's not a proper instrument like flute, a clarinette or anything like that, but who cares? If it sounds interesting, is fun to play and has the big advantage of being very easy to cary around, then I think there are valid points in favor of playing that for some of us.

Now if a few people aren't interested, I can understand it as well.

But if YOU don't like it, it's no reason to keep others away from it.

In french, we have a saying for this: "Si vous n'aimez pas, n'en dégouter pas les autres!", ie "If you don't like it, do not disgust others!". Maybe not the best way to translate it, but I guess you get the idea... :eek:

Vive le Xaphoon and the Zaffoon too! :D

Cheers Eduan and enjoy it thoroughly...

Hi all

It has been a while since I posted something due to work and studies. Finally done with my teaching degree. I have more time to practice and record again. Here is something really easy that I recorded a few minutes ago.

Still learning this instrument so the songs that I play on it is on a very easy level compared to my saxophone playing, but I find it really enjoyable when I want something different to my regular saxophone practice. I thought I would share it with you.

View: https://soundcloud.com/eduan-steenkamp/kumbaya-on-the-xaphoon

Hi there Colin the Bear, thank you for your comment.

It is actually called the Xaphoon, anyway...the whole point of learning a new system, unique fingering and limited range is the portability, the sound (timbre) and because I can and I have the free time to do so... Music is not limited to one instrument.. Some people see it as a hobby, others see it as a lifestyle. So if you can learn it why not? Life Long Learning is my moto and I like to apply it to my instruments. That is what keeps me outside of my comfort zone, and you can only excel outside of your comfort zone. But like they say...that is only my opinion.
I tried it for a few weeks before deciding my time would be better spent on chromatic harmonica - and a fully chromatic 3-octave version is genuinely pocket-sized. But I respect your right to reach a different conclusion.

And I'm still rubbish on the harmonica!