support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

My first sax

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

John Robinson

Hi all. I have been thinking about picking up a sax for quite some time now. I keep watching youtube videos, dreaming about maybe one day buying a sax. I have played guitar since I was 11 (now 35) but due to having a cleft lip and palate (repaired) I've been reluctant to give it a go incase I can't do it. Well I finally gave in and decided to buy a sax. I looked at used ones, listened to advice but there's too much I don't know about sax for me to form an opinion. Anyway, I decided to buy a Sakkusu Tenor Sax from Sax.co.uk based on the reputation/ customer service of an actual sax shop. I think this is the safest way for me to dip my toe in the water.It hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to it. I'm pleased I have finally made the leap and look forward to giving it a go. See you around, cheers.

That first toe in the water is always a bit weird.
I did the cheap Chinese sax thing, it was such fun that after a year I knew I needed something better.
Sold it on ebay, bought a really nice used sax.
Go to it!

I'm mostly inspired by pop/ rock styles and being a guitarist/ Springsteen fan, Clarence Clemons. I intend to start with songs/melodies I know and go from there. I also intend to use it for my own compositions/ recordings. I also enjoy drum, bass and piano and wanted to explore a melody based instrument. I just really needed to make a decision and dive in, else it'd be another year to add to the number of years I've wanted to do this.

Do you have any sax books on order? I got the New Tune A Day for Tenor Saxophone, comes with a CD.
I do the long note practice until I am bored, have a go at the next lesson, and then have fun making a god-awful racket!

I found the fingering charts damn near intelligible at first! It took a couple YouTube videos for me to make any sense of them.

Hi there. Welcome to the café. Sorry i missed your intro yesterday.

But congratulations for moving in with us all. Sax is great. The café is also a great place for advice, knowledge and making friends.

See you around. Enjoy your first sax. If you like it won't be the last...

It has arrived today. Got up early after the night shift to check it out.

It looks really nice in the vintage finish. One spring had come away on a right hand pinky key but I popped it back in.
I put it all together and gave it a go.

Only took a couple of blows to find a note. I could play a descending scale down to the bottom key soon enough.
Really promising as I was worried I wouldn't be able to get a sound at all. I found holding the sax to be quite awkward, so need to work my posture.
I played around with my embouchoure (or lack of) and noticed different tones based on my mouth shape. Then my face started to ache so I let my wife have a try. Her experience was similar to mine, cumbersome but could play a few notes.

I then inspected sax. The tone holes all look nice and smooth and the pads all seem to sit nice and flush. The general fit and finish seems to be very good. For the price I'm very happy with it. Not sure how much is Sakkusu or sax.co.uk themselves but I would reccomend sax.co.uk for their service and product. Definately looking forward to playing now.
20201117_134520.jpg
20201117_134459.jpg

When holding it, are you just using a neck strap? Do you have any neck or back problems?
There are other aids to help support the sax. Helps take the weight off the neck and onto the shoulders.
More info available should you need it.

Good choice from what I've heard of Sakkusu.

Back
Top Bottom