support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

My first recording - be gentle with me

Have you thought about noise cancelling headphones? Getting a set driving loud over a sax is risking ear damage. I recently measured my tenor at 115Db.

I was having problems hearing the tick on the metronome, over the tenor, but playing the metronome through noise cancelling headphones worked a treat. Sennheiser HD300.

Hi Ian,

It's not until you climb inside your headphones that you realise just how loud the saxophone is >:)

Okay onto your problem:

In GarageBand, the individual track volumes on the left had side of the timeline enable you to create your desired monitoring mix by individually adjust the volume of the backing track and the track your recording into. You can readjust these after your recording when mixing down. So you might want to pull down the volume on the track your recording into to see if that helps.

The other thing to consider are the headphones, if we are talking about the big over your ear jobs then they come in either 'open' or 'closed' versions, open headphones in their very nature allow external sounds in, closed tend to block out external sounds and are the better choice for recording.

Chris

Something occurs to me. If I 'seal' off external sounds with the earphones, surely I can monitor the sound of the sax and the backing track through the earphones themselves. Is this what you were eluding to? :confused:

For sure my new headphones will be monitor quality so we'll have to see.

Only BIG problem is that I have spent too much time on this when I could have been playing my sax! Better get on with that. >:)

Only BIG problem is that I have spent too much time on this when I could have been playing my sax! Better get on with that. >:)

I wouldn't worry too much about that.

You will learn so much from recording and listening to yourself it will far outweigh time lost with the horn in your mouth.

Plus it all adds to the interest of playing and making music. Imagine -as you have said- playing these early recordings back in the future and hearing your progress.

I know how nerve racking it can be to record something in a studio with people around. I wish I had practised playing into a microphone a bit more.

Keep it up and keep posting the sound clips. I has inspired me to get a microphone in the near future and do the same thing.

I remember when I first started out as a sign maker I used to post examples of my work on a sign makers forum and people would be very critical and most of the time they would struggle to say anything nice about my work but I kept putting the work up there and they kept criticising but I improved so much faster than if I didn't expose myself.

Keep it up dude, you are doing good

mamos

Chris

Thanks again. I am about to buy a Graham Slee Novo (kit) headphone amp and some wicked cans for my HiFi. The wife hates Jazz and I never get much time to listen to the system - it's also where the TV resides! Bad move really. The Novo is awesome and great value.

Graham%20Slee%20Novo.jpg

I guess I could use that. This loud sax thing has been a problem and for Xmas the wife bought me some Soundsticks for my Mac as the BI speakers weren't loud enough. The Soundsticks are!

It seems as I solve one problem, another pops up! :)

I seem to remember reading a review of that headphone amp in "What HiFi' not that long ago, looks very nice. Musical Fidelity also do the X-Cans which are tube driven if you like a bit of old tube warmth to your music.

Have you thought about noise cancelling headphones? Getting a set driving loud over a sax is risking ear damage. I recently measured my tenor at 115Db.

I was having problems hearing the tick on the metronome, over the tenor, but playing the metronome through noise cancelling headphones worked a treat. Sennheiser HD300.

Hi Kev,

I'd not thought of noise canceling headphones but it makes sense. I know of one person who uses those little in your ear 'walkman' headphone but places industrial ear defenders over the top to cut out all other sound.

Chris

Something occurs to me. If I 'seal' off external sounds with the earphones, surely I can monitor the sound of the sax and the backing track through the earphones themselves. Is this what you were eluding to? :confused:

Yes GarageBand enables you to monitor the mic signal whilst recording:

In the 'Track Info' window under 'Input Source' is 'Monitor' and from the drop down menu you can select to have it either on or off. (Page 4 of the guide)

Yeah but once you're set up you can take advantage of it whenever you want to.

Keep putting up your sound clips, it's great to hear how you're getting on,

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to remember reading a review of that headphone amp in "What HiFi' not that long ago, looks very nice. Musical Fidelity also do the X-Cans which are tube driven if you like a bit of old tube warmth to your music.
I just moved to the Musical Fidelity X Series kit (CD player and amp) at the end of 2008. The X-Can V8 is in very short supply and expensive and the 'nod' I have had is that the Novo is better anyway - though marginally. The V3 is not up to the job. I am a big vinyl fan and only really got a 'serious' CD player last year.

I also am selling my old Linn kit that I've had since 1989. My 1985 ProAc speakers are great if a little bass-light and will be largely replaced by the Novo and Grado combo. Mrs halfD is very tolerant on most things but NOT my choice of music or the volume at which I play it!!

Yes GarageBand enables you to monitor the mic signal whilst recording:

In the 'Track Info' window under 'Input Source' is 'Monitor' and from the drop down menu you can select to have it either on or off. (Page 4 of the guide)

Great. I'm going to buy some Grado 325i's for the HiFi but have realised they are 'open-back' (and overkill for recording) so can you recommend some closed back ones I should consider.

Yeah but once you're set up you can take advantage of it whenever you want to.

Keep putting up your sound clips, it's great to hear how you're getting on,

All the best,

Chris

Yep, will do. I've done a couple of other recordings but not as good as the first (playing-wise) and I notice with GarageBand I get a bit of 'POP' that isn't noticeable with Audacity. Thoughts?

Hi Ian,

I'm going to buy some Grado 325i's for the HiFi but have realised they are 'open-back' (and overkill for recording) so can you recommend some closed back ones I should consider.

The Grado 325i's should be lovely but had you not considered the Sennheiser HD 800s! Have you seen the price of them?

The Beyerdynamic DT150 & DT100 are well thought of, maybe Pete could suggest some others.

I've done a couple of other recordings but not as good as the first (playing-wise) and I notice with GarageBand I get a bit of 'POP' that isn't noticeable with Audacity. Thoughts?

I need a bit more to go on, when you say 'POP' is that on the attack of the note? If so are you using the 'Automatic level control' rather than setting the level manually? Maybe you could put up a quick example.

All the best,

Chris

OK, this was harder than I though! Timing not brilliant and I payed one section incorrectly :w00t: Too much concentration!!

Anyways, at least I managed to get something recorded.

Sorry, it's a 6.4mb file. Dunno how to compress this.

Click here to listen.

Hey Ian
That is a very nice fat Tenor sound ! :)

Regards

ManEast