All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

my first open mic session

allansto

Awesome
I just went to a local music club and played my first open mic session .
I played four numbers and got applause each time .
It was great to play in public and have fun.
First time on a PA too.My horn sounded great in a good acoustic zone as well.
Thanks to peoples place music club.
Allansto

Fraser Jarvis

Did my fist one a couple of weeks ago in Leicester along with MellowD and Lelly from this board, quite a nice relaxing afternoon, mind you Chris the guy that was running it took quite a shine to my Selmer so will have to keep my eye on it in future!

Colin the Bear

It's addictive. First time full of dread and it's wonderful. Second time expecting wonderful and it's only good so a bit of a let down.

Did you think they wouldn't clap?

It's when you're being paid and they don't clap you're in trouble lol

Outstanding! It's an exhilaration, isn't it? At the Blues jams I host I encourage first-timers to get up and play. They don't need to solo if they don't want to, but once the shakes wear off, they see where they fit in and now have a forum to showcase & compare their chops. I try to get photos with the legendary "Antone's" club logo behind them, which invariably becomes their Facebook cover shot.

And take it from me -- DON'T be afraid to fail once in a while. Some of the most valuable experiences were when I would butcher something and there's nowhere to hide on that stand. Forced me to practice harder, in order to never let that happen again. Short-term pain leads to long-term gain. Keep it going!!!

dooce

Yeh, it can be great, and as someone who plays mostly in bands, very liberating when something outside the usual band repertoire comes up - Taz and I shared an epic session a couple of years ago that i still remember, playing The Waterboys Fisherman Blues.

It can also be very dispiriting when the locals, notably guitarists, won't let you in for a break. The power of an amplifier knob, eh?

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Well done! :thumb: :welldone
I would be really grateful if someone could describe what happens at an open mic session. We have a new live music venue, opened just before Christmas, and I keep thinking about going along, but I don't know if I'm brave enough! There are other live music venues in town too, but I've been following this one from the start and feel a little more involved with them : Re-con (Malvern)
Maybe I should just be brave and go?!

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Well done! :thumb: :welldone
I would be really grateful if someone could describe what happens at an open mic session. We have a new live music venue, opened just before Christmas, and I keep thinking about going along, but I don't know if I'm brave enough! There are other live music venues in town too, but I've been following this one from the start and feel a little more involved with them : Re-con (Malvern)
Maybe I should just be brave and go?!

Hi Mandy

The ones I've been to most of the players new each other quite well and were a mixture of amateurs and pros and were all great players and mainly sax main players with a backing group of say pianist drums guitars who took turns also swapping with people in the audience,the sax players took turns playing one or two tunes at a time sometimes singularly and sometimes in twos or threes comboing all in all a very friendly atmosphere and like I said some really great sax players and unfortunately I have to say I personally new very few of the numbers that they played...john

allansto

reply to Andy
Strangers in the night ,Right here waiting by richard marx,What a wonderful world , Green Green Grass of home.

reply to Colin the bear.
No I knew they would clap out of politeness... after all they were musicians themselves
Its the enthusiasm in the applause that is the telling factor.

Reply to MandyH
Well basically It was held in a comunity hall,
there was a small covercharge at the door and I filled out a form with my personal details
The organiser guy and the members were reeelly freindly.
They put my name on a white board about fourth or fifth down the list
Then I was shown to the green room to warm up
While I was in there a couple of guitarists were there and wanted to join in on my practice as back up
so we had an impromptu jam session right there and then and it was awesome fun
Then i was asked the come on stage and play.
The guys helped set up the mic for my sax and then I addressed the crowd of about 25 and told them a little about myself
and how long I ve been playing etc.
From then on I played my numbers, the time allowable for each act is 10 mins.
They were all rapt to have a sax play at thier club, aparently the dont get many wind instruments wanting to play.
I think they are mostly folk music people at that club but they also have a bluegrass club that play on a different day of the month.
most of the instruments played on the day were accoustic.
The people there were very encouraging,
So Mandy dont be scared "just do It".

Reply to Trimmy
yeh well Im working on that too but I cant get a decent sound without an interface to my mic /computer
Ive priced a couple of cheap ones
Im hoping to meet some other musos at these clubs that already know how to record themselves.

Regards
Allansto

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I did, and I'm trying to get the feel from others who have experienced it too.
I still don't feel informed enough.

I think my only option is to go along and see....I'll be brave :D

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I did, and I'm trying to get the feel from others who have experienced it too.
I still don't feel informed enough.

I think my only option is to go along and see....I'll be brave :D

just go along and watch you don't have to play you can leave the sax at home or in the car and I certainly didn't dare,they were all too good for me...john

Fraser Jarvis

just go along and watch you don't have to play you can leave the sax at home or in the car and I certainly didn't dare,they were all too good for me...john
This is what i did when i arranged to go to one with Pete (Taz) a couple of years or so ago, just darn't get it out, specially if front of anyone, wish i had though as people at these things just don't take the mickey as they know they were there themselves a while back.....guess the best thing to do is take your sax in with you and play it if you feel comfortable otherwise sit it out and learn from the others, you may even feel a bit braver after a few drinks and play the last song.

Top Bottom