Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
Enjoyed that one Davey, you have good tone on the sop.. Nice one.:thumb:

Chris...

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
It is indeed excellent.

How did you prepare your reed for that...? ;)

I cant say its a secret method from the 1940's.It cost £80.00.Not played my soprano for weeks.Tryed 3 reeds in a few minutes,found the best and guess what i whacked it on and pressed record.Sorted.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Great tone and facility. However this is not a great take in my opinion. Shows off your technique very well but sounds like a catalogue of technique rather than flow of ideas that relate to the tune or a musical interpretation of your feeling for the tune. As a vehicle for showing off it's good. As a piece of music it's not so good. I'd rather hear you use all that technique and tone to make music. You don't need to impress anyone.

daveysaxboy

Great tone and facility. However this is not a great take in my opinion. Shows off your technique very well but sounds like a catalogue of technique rather than flow of ideas that relate to the tune or a musical interpretation of your feeling for the tune. As a vehicle for showing off it's good. As a piece of music it's not so good. I'd rather hear you use all that technique and tone to make music. You don't need to impress anyone.
All i can say on this is i've not played the sop in weeks and picked it up and recorded so it is what it is.I agree it could be alot better.For not playing it in a while i was rather happy with my sound so theres a small plus to doing it i suppose.Hey i'm happy getting 1 out of 3tracks done with good reviews off you guys.Keeps us on the long search of getting better so good food for thought.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Really appreciate that you took that the right way as it was really a compliment. You have the chops, tone, etc. and I know you can put those together to add up to something that's so much bigger than just the component parts.

Hard when hearing this to not think of the Coltrane version. Your tone and feeling for the instrument are by far better than his. Never could quite work out what all the fuss was about Coltrane's version, but I guess most don't want to point out when the Emperor has no clothes on.

daveysaxboy

Really appreciate that you took that the right way as it was really a compliment. You have the chops, tone, etc. and I know you can put those together to add up to something that's so much bigger than just the component parts.

Hard when hearing this to not think of the Coltrane version. Your tone and feeling for the instrument are by far better than his. Never could quite work out what all the fuss was about Coltrane's version, but I guess most don't want to point out when the Emperor has no clothes on.
It was easy really Wade.Your right in your thoughts and i agree on your take on the piece.You have me thinking about getting it better in somehow which is good.Keeps me going,searching and playing.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom